[MOD] (Alpha 8) Central Heating (includes vents)

Started by carlgraves, December 22, 2014, 04:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killaim

couldent you make the airducts like a layer on the map that is invisible unless you got the build mode on (while selecting the air duct tool) like with how you use power conduit then you can see all power lines.

airducts of course should definently allow things like squirrels and boom rats to sneak in (suddenly that boom rat psychotic event became even more of a danger :D)

Neutromancer

In the vanilla game, I figured you can heat an "outer corridor" and the temperature will leak into all inner rooms, I do this for bedrooms (there's like a 2-3 degree difference).

Still, vents sound even better.

thefinn

A good mod, I use it often.

Would like to see a proper industrial air con. (Unless I'm missing something ?)

The fans are "ok" but without a temp control they just stay on - not really what I want.

seadderkrupp

An issue i have noticed about a base inside a mountain - is My refrigerated food storage heats up as well and my food spoils. Even with airlocks between it - Anything that can be done about this?

carlgraves

Quote from: seadderkrupp on December 31, 2014, 05:41:45 PM
An issue i have noticed about a base inside a mountain - is My refrigerated food storage heats up as well and my food spoils. Even with airlocks between it - Anything that can be done about this?

Could you post a pic of your base's layout?

Not sure what the problem would be, I haven't seen anything that could be attributed to the vents in my own testing.

Possibly...
Do you have vents connecting your hallways to your fridge? If yes, you're going to be leaking all your cold air into the rest of your base.

Is the a/c unit is rotated the right way? The blue side should be facing towards the fridge.

Does the fridge have a roof?

Quote from: thefinn on December 29, 2014, 02:29:52 AM
A good mod, I use it often.

Would like to see a proper industrial air con. (Unless I'm missing something ?)

The fans are "ok" but without a temp control they just stay on - not really what I want.

;) I think you mean the "temperature control" mod. Currently this mod doesn't have any fans.

Quote from: Neutromancer on December 26, 2014, 08:49:49 AM
In the vanilla game, I figured you can heat an "outer corridor" and the temperature will leak into all inner rooms, I do this for bedrooms (there's like a 2-3 degree difference).

Still, vents sound even better.
The vents basically act like open doors. While they are open they equalize the temperature between the rooms. It is much slower than the vents and in sub -40 degree temperatures the doors alone just can't keep up with the losses.

Zartach

I have tried this mod, and in combination with Edb interface the texture of the vents turns into multiple textures switching out every 2 seconds or so, loading the mod before or after the edb interface mod had no effect on the issue. Disabling the Edb mod fixed it in my save game.
The texture in the menu is also purple when Edb interface is loaded.

I have also noticed that if you 'chain' rooms to each other (i had multiple cooler rooms) the temperature goes up (or down) by 1 every room you go. So after 5 rooms starting out at -10 the last room will sit at -5 and keep it there. Was this intended as an 'inefficiency' in the vent or is this an unintended effect from how the temperature works in the game ?

Raufgar

Quote from: Zartach on January 01, 2015, 09:26:39 PM
I have tried this mod, and in combination with Edb interface the texture of the vents turns into multiple textures switching out every 2 seconds or so, loading the mod before or after the edb interface mod had no effect on the issue. Disabling the Edb mod fixed it in my save game.
The texture in the menu is also purple when Edb interface is loaded.

I have also noticed that if you 'chain' rooms to each other (i had multiple cooler rooms) the temperature goes up (or down) by 1 every room you go. So after 5 rooms starting out at -10 the last room will sit at -5 and keep it there. Was this intended as an 'inefficiency' in the vent or is this an unintended effect from how the temperature works in the game ?

Zartach, if you have opened the Mod window before starting the game, you need to quit to desktop then start the game again. This should solve your rotating textures issue. This needs to be done each time you open the Mod window, even if you didn't change anything in there.

As for the temp change, the vents were coded(sic?) to balance out the temperature between all connected rooms, so this should be the reason for increase.
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

Asero

Quote from: Raufgar on January 02, 2015, 01:07:30 AM
Zartach, if you have opened the Mod window before starting the game, you need to quit to desktop then start the game again. This should solve your rotating textures issue. This needs to be done each time you open the Mod window, even if you didn't change anything in there.

I really wish they would sticky this somewhere. This and starting a new game / new world if all else fails.

Neat mod by the way. I use it almost everywhere in my base. Only request is to possibly make another vent that is part of the wall texture itself, instead of being a standalone item perhaps.

HelpzTePoopies

The texture of the vent is broken. Have tried it with no other mods active. Help?
Edit: Fixed it. Just reread earlier comments properly!

HelpzTePoopies

Can't get cold air through vents. Is this a bug, intentional or just not done yet?

MikhailBoho

This mod is essential for large bases. I can't play without it. I hope that central cooling will be added soon, as right now I am only able to cool my larger bases about 5 degrees Celsius, which is not nearly enough during a heat-wave.

Thank you so much for all of the hard work!

TheSilencedScream

I could not imagine surviving colder temp areas without this mod, now that I've used it.

Thanks!
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

carlgraves

I'm back from Christmas-y things and hopefully will be able to get the cooling stuff working soon.

I'm also looking at trying to make the heaters work better in groups, currently they fight each other and only one of them ever gets a break.

ousire

I'm not sure exactly how the heat works in the game naturally, but perhaps the air ducts could act as super insulated walls that only interact with the vents? I know that heat is naturally slowly lost through rooms and whenever doors open. If heating ducts had almost zero heat loss and only allowed heat to transfer normally to other ducts or to vents, you could use them to channel heat around the base and only release it into your rooms where they're needed.

RemingtonRyder

Thanks for this mod. I haven't tried the industrial heater yet, but I think the vents are a much more elegant solution to distribute geothermal heat around the base.