Water

Started by mcawesome, December 22, 2016, 08:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xolotle

Quote from: PieroSgri on December 28, 2016, 07:35:18 AM
Also, I dont know about you, but a lot of people (myself included) play on harsh environment like sea ice, tundra, desert, extreme desert; in those biome caring about water too will be just so tedious.

You say tedious, but the Inuit basically live off fishing, and Irrigation is fundamental in desert cultures.The ability to turn desert into arable land would bring a whole new dimension to desert maps.

I don't really think drinking water should be added, but we mine mountains.. why not use water?

RemingtonRyder

Water is a major ballache in Minecraft. Especially when there's a recipe which needs three buckets of water but you have no way of automating the refilling of said buckets and putting them back in the crafting table.

Why would you want water as a thing in RimWorld?

Anomaly

Id like to have water because its more important than food in a survival situation. It seems odd, given the game's other complexities that we never have to secure clean water or dig a hole out back. Its more complex, yes, but its complexity that I miss.

Water doesn't need to function as an item unless you are filling canteens. It would be a matter of source and distribution with only a source being needed at first then distribution as a colony implements running water, showers and toilets.  At first just making sure the kitchen is near a spring would do it.

Prison architect would be a better reference for water than Minecraft and others.

Bozobub

It would also open the possibility of hydropower ^^ .
Thanks, belgord!

Headshotkill

Quote from: Bozobub on December 29, 2016, 09:22:36 PM
It would also open the possibility of hydropower ^^ .

I think for now OP's requesting water as a collectable resource that pawns must consume, actuall water physics would likely require a LOT of work.

Bozobub

I'm aware.  It was simply an observation.
Thanks, belgord!

Andy_Dandy

Oh yeah! Securing drinking water, and building showers (and perhaps water toilets) in pawn apartments and prisons. Hydropower, water pipelines, wells, water pumps, sewers and fishery. Pawns and prisoners pooping on the floor if no access to a toilet, and starting to smell like rotten cowshit if not showering. What's not to like?

Of course there needs to be some primitive alternatives before you have a good water pipe line system automatically running, like outdoor toilets and bathing in a tub.

Daguest

Quote from: PieroSgri on December 28, 2016, 07:35:18 AM
Also, I dont know about you, but a lot of people (myself included) play on harsh environment like sea ice, tundra, desert, extreme desert; in those biome caring about water too will be just so tedious.
I play on "harsh environment" all the time, and I think water would be great to the game. Mostly because right now, it's ridiculously easy to survive in harsh "hot" environment compared to "cold". Parka have high speed/manipulation penalty, while duster doesn't. Cowboy hat have a social bonus, while the tuque doesn't have any kind of bonus. You can grow crops all year (despite what the tooltip say when you pick a colony), and you don't need a sun lamp/temperature control for the crops. Terrain is 100% water free, so you can build pretty much anywhere you want, while boreal forest for example have tons of marshes and pond.

Not only it's unrealistic but it's also way too easy for no reason (want an easy play ? Temperate is for you). Water would solve all of that, and not make cold places harder. You'll just melt snow or use one of the numerous pond for water. OFC, the game would need ways to have water in hot areas (oasis, recycling water, whatever), but that's a minor balance issue quickly fixed.

Headshotkill

Quote from: Daguest on December 30, 2016, 09:27:09 AM
OFC, the game would need ways to have water in hot areas (oasis, recycling water, whatever)

Condensation, dig a hole, put plastic bag in hole and press it against the sides so you have a bowl with plastic borders, pee in hole, put leaves and plants in hole, basicly put anything that could contain moisture in hole.
Now put a small cup or watertight container in the middle on top of your moisture soup.
Next you span another sheet of plastic over the hole and and attach it to the sides of the hole, make sure it's stretched and doesn't have any folds in it, also make sure it's airtight.
Lastly, you'll put a small weight (rock,...) in the middle of the sheet of plastic you spanned over the hole so there's a depression over your cup, what will happen is the heat from the sun will warm up your urine and the plant material, this will evaporate the water and create condensation on the plastic sheet you spanned over the hole, this condensation will be pulled down by gravity towards the depression of the sheet (rock) and drip into the cup. Now you have water.

This is a Bear Grylls technique btw.

Other than that you can also search a dried up riverbed and dig a hole until you reach ground waterlevel.