Colonists always want to eat from furthest meal, especially during sieges.

Started by porcupine, December 21, 2014, 07:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupine

When the colony is under siege, sometimes the forbidden foodstocks become un-forbidden (not certain as to how, I believe when an enemy pawn goes to pick up/eat, and then re-tasks to something else, the food they drop on the ground is no longer forbidden).

Colonists will then run to the siege site, to eat their food, and get shot along the way.

Obviously there are two problems here:

#1 - The foodstuffs becoming un-forbidden.
#2 - The colonists always trying to eat the food that's furthest away.

Food quality doesn't seem to matter, can be regular/fine/survival meal.  My freezer has +-200 regular meals in it at all times, so it's not for a lack of food.  Does not happen with raw foods (meats/berries/potatoes).

This can be reproduced in any established game without effort.  I'm running the debuff parka's mod, and I'm in a very cold climate (possibly why enemy pawns are re-prioritizing mid-meal, during a siege, because they're arse cold, and thus doing something else).

Version (any), but specifically 0.8.657Win here.

xlockeed

The thing is I've found is the AI looks from far sides inward sort of like a bull's eye. They never look for closest meal. And yes the raiders do drop food and it does randomly go unforbidden. Then the idiot colonists go to eat it very unnerving when you get a message some idiot needs rescued followed by so n so is now leaving and kidnapping who they can message. I play vanilla no mods and this happens a lot. What I've done is micro manage a raid / siege by keeping an eye on the buggers during their meal time.

One final note, it would seem survival meals are the number one meal to eat. You would think fine and lavish meals would be number one. It really rustles my jimmies when after a siege I have idiots walking clear across the map to eat survival meals instead of hauling them back to base.
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.

FridayBiology

check for a "space meals" mod.
it sets the prepared meals to "low"
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

xlockeed

I do not want to bother with a mod. I'd rather it be hard coded.

A. A survival meal is not all that great compared to a cooked meal with fresh meat and veggies. Even if it is frozen for some unknown period of time. Have you ever had a MRE? A fine or lavish meal should be first pick if available in my opinion.

B. The colonist looks for the nearest stockpile for food not a recent unforbidden meal clear across the map.
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog