Drug system?

Started by British, September 27, 2013, 04:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

British

Quote from: Tynan on September 27, 2013, 04:48:03 PM
I'm offering a drug system to the KS backers as a thing to vote for.
Not sure if serious...

What I'm sure about, though, besides this subject probably not being fit for the thread, is that whenever there's some sort of temporary effect drugs/stims/whatever in a game, I never use them.
That kind of make me sad because it's a feature I'm not using, but I don't find any interest in having a short boost when (if) I can be consistent without having a use for it.
Hmmm, I can't really write it down the way I want, but... you know...

Yarkista

Quote from: British on September 27, 2013, 04:55:38 PM
Not sure if serious...

What I'm sure about, though, besides this subject probably not being fit for the thread, is that whenever there's some sort of temporary effect drugs/stims/whatever in a game, I never use them.
That kind of make me sad because it's a feature I'm not using, but I don't find any interest in having a short boost when (if) I can be consistent without having a use for it.

Addiction could be a personality trait, they could take med supplies every now and again, idk.

Tynan

Quote from: British on September 27, 2013, 04:55:38 PM
Not sure if serious...

The effects won't be temporary. It's not a boost like in Fallout.

I'm thinking the more important aspects would be:

-Growing the drugs
-Refining the drugs
-Dealing with the ups and downs of having colonists addicted to the drugs. This includes:
---- They're "happier"
---- They have long-term health problems
---- They may exhibit unstable behaviors
---- They fight differently; don't get incapacitated, perhaps

It's not a button you push for a short-term boost, it's a part of the sociology and economy of the colony.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

British

Then I guess it would be better-off in the possibly higher difficulty levels, where crazy micro-managing is the norm.

And by the way, isn't that discussion very off-topic, in an Off-topic forum ? ;D

Yarkista

Quote from: British on September 27, 2013, 05:21:32 PM
Then I guess it would be better-off in the possibly higher difficulty levels, where crazy micro-managing is the norm.

And by the way, isn't that discussion very off-topic, in an Off-topic forum ? ;D

We're so meta this acronym.

And that sounds interesting if the drugs were implemented. It may effect the rating though, but I don't think rating is much of an issue for digital games.

Tynan

To clarify, they're not implemented... they're something I'm offering to KS people as a thing to vote on.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Yarkista

Quote from: Tynan on September 27, 2013, 06:26:31 PM
To clarify, they're not implemented... they're something I'm offering to KS people as a thing to vote on.

What is this wizardry, moved topic?

And that sounds interesting.

Hypolite

I may not be Bruce Willis, but I still have some aces up my sleeves :)

Jakadasnake

Damn dude! I was totally going to ask if I could cook meth in this game too. You rock!

Yarkista

Quote from: Jakadasnake on September 27, 2013, 06:54:24 PM
Damn dude! I was totally going to ask if I could cook meth in this game too. You rock!

Fuck yeah meth!

applemachine

Quote from: Tynan on September 27, 2013, 05:14:03 PM
The effects won't be temporary. It's not a boost like in Fallout.

I'm thinking the more important aspects would be:

-Growing the drugs
-Refining the drugs
-Dealing with the ups and downs of having colonists addicted to the drugs. This includes:
---- They're "happier"
---- They have long-term health problems
---- They may exhibit unstable behaviors
---- They fight differently; don't get incapacitated, perhaps

It's not a button you push for a short-term boost, it's a part of the sociology and economy of the colony.

I really like this answer. You seem to make this the policy in several answers you've made. It seems there is an overarching policy to keep this game interesting as a simulation rather than as a DF style RTS. I like this idea very much. This is what will keep me engaged for hours. Making a change to the society, such as introducing a drug, just to see the effect and then removing it to see if they can return to 'normal'. Plus I really like the idea of drugs in games, but have yet to find anything that I like. This seems like a fun idea to me.

I have not yet backed the kickstarter but if this is the style of thinking behind the programing of the game, I'm very interested. I'm going to keep on eye on this for a bit to see what happens.

Pheanox

Yeah I see nothing wrong with a drug system if its handled in a mature way.  Would be cool if you just grow the drugs and sell it to traders, as well.  Try to keep your own colonists from getting addicted.

Spike

Quote from: applemachine on October 05, 2013, 06:57:20 PM
I really like this answer. You seem to make this the policy in several answers you've made. It seems there is an overarching policy to keep this game interesting as a simulation rather than as a DF style RTS. I like this idea very much. This is what will keep me engaged for hours. Making a change to the society, such as introducing a drug, just to see the effect and then removing it to see if they can return to 'normal'. Plus I really like the idea of drugs in games, but have yet to find anything that I like. This seems like a fun idea to me.

Well then, have you looked into Clockwork Empires?   :P

However, the idea of growing/refining drugs sparks a thought.  If there are multiple options of things you can produce, then you have more options as to what allies/enemies your colony has.  Grow drugs, and you might get raided by the "Galactic Patrol" and trade with pirates.  Grow food and build tinkertoys, and the pirates will raid you.  Not to mention the societal changes.  Slave labor vs gaining converts, etc.

walti921

As a pharmacist IRL the idea of a drug system in game really appeals greatly to me  ;D

I think the whole tech tree needs a bit of fleshing out and a medical branch would be a great addition! Perhaps the ability to heal fully or from serious injuries is linked to medical supplies? Maybe you start with some from your ships emergency kit then have to create or trade for more...
And eventually you can get access to some really advanced stuff like nano medicine cloning ect which could do some cool and zanny things ingame....

This also makes for some great possible events. Trust me if you thought medical professionals never got high on their own supply you'd be wrong..... Also other non junkie medical emergencies like xeno diseases, radiation exposure during the sunny cycle, Strange alien parasites ect would benefit greatly from having a more developed medicine system ingame.

Yarkista

Quote from: walti921 on October 05, 2013, 08:28:24 PM
if you thought medical professionals never got high on their own supply you'd be wrong
[/b]

O_o

On topic, some colonists could start with an addiction from the get go, it could either be a small addiction such as an addiction to caffeine or something more serious such as heroin or cocaine.