Drug system?

Started by British, September 27, 2013, 04:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lingbot

I would avoid explicitly calling out drug.  Make it up then make it illegal within the universe.  If it has to be a relatable item, the universe could have sugar or alcohol on the list of banned substances.  And even in Dwarf Fortress, the dwarves appear to be hooked on alcohol which is banned in some present day cultures.

Yarkista

Quote from: lingbot on October 05, 2013, 09:08:45 PM
I would avoid explicitly calling out drug.  Make it up then make it illegal within the universe.  If it has to be a relatable item, the universe could have sugar or alcohol on the list of banned substances.  And even in Dwarf Fortress, the dwarves appear to be hooked on alcohol which is banned in some present day cultures.

So what if people get buthurt? I say go for it and call them drugs.

Conti027

Quote from: Yarkista on September 27, 2013, 07:02:27 PM
Quote from: Jakadasnake on September 27, 2013, 06:54:24 PM
Damn dude! I was totally going to ask if I could cook meth in this game too. You rock!

Fuck yeah meth!

I'm more of a cocaine kinda guy.

Can people that bought on the Ludeon site vote as well if so how do we vote?

ThirstyDuck

What benifits would these drugs give our colonists? Also would they become addicted?

Conti027

I think a drug system would be great and could add a lot in gameplay. Not just bad drugs but good as well like medicine. Research and Development (R&D). You are on a harsh planet you need good drugs to survive. So you need to research them and development them and maybe even test. Some work great some don't *death* and some turn into your bad happy drugs and with being on a harsh planet maybe some people try to make the bad drugs to escape the world. Drugs can be made out of all kinds or crazy stuff. Found on priates or the planet, etc.
Adding drugs could add a whole new element to the game and whole new thing the AI storyteller can use in game with diseases and much more.

A small example of a small story/situation.
Some kind of deisease breaks out or a small deady cold or even some kind of cancer comes along and you have to cure it with drugs. So you start researching and developing. Test can be administerered on people, animals, plants, etc. All kinds of things can happen from the drug i.e. working properly from killing or becoming a addictive substance or mutate the host. Now a working drug works.. not much to be said about that same with a drug that kills but its when a drug becomes a addictive substance or a bad happy drug then all kinds of other things can happen like addiction or maybe they become a mutant or zombie (cause games need zombies)

walti921

Quote from: Conti027 on October 05, 2013, 10:54:38 PM
I think a drug system would be great and could add a lot in gameplay. Not just bad drugs but good as well like medicine. Research and Development (R&D). You are on a harsh planet you need good drugs to survive. So you need to research them and development them and maybe even test. Some work great some don't *death* and some turn into your bad happy drugs and with being on a harsh planet maybe some people try to make the bad drugs to escape the world. Drugs can be made out of all kinds or crazy stuff. Found on priates or the planet, etc.
Adding drugs could add a whole new element to the game and whole new thing the AI storyteller can use in game with diseases and much more.

A small example of a small story/situation.
Some kind of deisease breaks out or a small deady cold or even some kind of cancer comes along and you have to cure it with drugs. So you start researching and developing. Test can be administerered on people, animals, plants, etc. All kinds of things can happen from the drug i.e. working properly from killing or becoming a addictive substance or mutate the host. Now a working drug works.. not much to be said about that same with a drug that kills but its when a drug becomes a addictive substance or a bad happy drug then all kinds of other things can happen like addiction or maybe they become a mutant or zombie (cause games need zombies)

This is exactly what i was trying to say with my earlier post!!

Having the duality of medicine/drugs could provide some very interesting issues E.G. your colonists are growing a large amount of a certain medical herb for refinement into lucrative medical supplies.... Then some of them discover they can escape the everyday troubles of life in a tiny isolated colony with the help of said herbs FUN ensues ;).

EDIT: And a sci-fi game without mutants is like fried chicken without the skin.....

AspenShadow

My vote is in right now for mutations, but please not a single zombie should be seen in this game. It's been done to death in the current gaming era.

On the actual forum topic: I like the idea of a drug system but agree that it should be fictional drugs with the inclusion of generic alcohol. The expansion of the research system is something I'm greatly interested in, hmmm, may open a new topic.

Pheanox

Gotta side with Aspen on this one.  I'm so tired of zombies in games.  So many interesting survival games that I just sigh and roll my eyes when I see they just -had- to put in zombies.  There are other, clever things that can be done that don't include zombies. 

Conti027

Quote from: Pheanox on October 07, 2013, 02:47:40 AM
Gotta side with Aspen on this one.  I'm so tired of zombies in games.  So many interesting survival games that I just sigh and roll my eyes when I see they just -had- to put in zombies.  There are other, clever things that can be done that don't include zombies.

Well the zombies were just an idea. You would have to worry about people being around them and turning into zombies but I wasn't thinking of them as been a main focus but mutants work just as well. If you really think about it mutants and zombies are pretty close to being the same thing except being to add more creativity and uniqueness to the mutants.

Reaver41

mumblemumble

I think drugs could be interesting, especially if NPC's would resort to them WITHOUT your command. I could see this be quite nice, perhaps needing to arrest colonists to deal with drug abuse. But if this were implemented, I do think they would need to tweak the prisoner system to treat arrested colonists differently, since it seems odd you would need to "recruit" a colonist again, simply because you arrested him for a few days. I think at very least, he should be much easier to recruit than strangers, since he / she already knows the base, and people.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Mucephorous

I like the idea of having drugs production/refinement/use in the game, I don't see how they could be illegal within the lore though, there are no real authorities that cover the galactic community, just local ones mostly restricted to a single star system at their most expansive. I'd like to see however some sort of Colony Government/Policies that would allow you to make any stage of drug production from growing to harvesting to usage either legal or illegal.

For example, you could be happy to grow and refine drugs for sale, but don't really want your colonists using the stuff, so you set production to legal but usage to illegal. This of course shouldn't stop colonists dipping into the stash and becoming addicted, but would allow you to justifiably arrest and detain them for any 'treatment' you see fit  :)

Enjou

Quote from: Tynan on September 27, 2013, 05:14:03 PMThe effects won't be temporary. It's not a boost like in Fallout.

I'm thinking the more important aspects would be:

-Growing the drugs
-Refining the drugs
-Dealing with the ups and downs of having colonists addicted to the drugs. This includes:
---- They're "happier"
---- They have long-term health problems
---- They may exhibit unstable behaviors
---- They fight differently; don't get incapacitated, perhaps

It's not a button you push for a short-term boost, it's a part of the sociology and economy of the colony.

There's certainly a lot of potential here. You could use drugs as a means to recruit prisoners, but they'll be addicted so trying to stop the use afterwards could bring about disaster. Also, if you forbid your colonists to use the drugs you are making, some personality types might use them anyways - recruiting raiders to your drug farm colony might have an added risk of them sneaking a bit of product. I could also see a law enforcement faction being none too pleased with you if you're making a lot of hard drugs, or perhaps willing to take bribes to leave you be if you're only growing soft drugs.

Hxns

Instead of zombies you could always go the alien parasite / infection route.

Your people could get infections when shot and seriously wounded if they dont take anti-biotics.
If they eat raw meat or old food which hasn't been stored they could get food poisoning.

They could always then use Heroin to fix them up for a battle but end up getting withdrawal symptoms etc.

Or they could get infected by a parasite from (whatever you want) contaminated water etc and if it isn't treated the parasite will cause slight negative side effects which increase and finally hatch and cause chaos.

Just an idea. 

Bodog999

I was thinking with the drugs that you have more than 1 ''drug'' and that they do some different effects some heal the colonist some are used to feel less pain or use it agains raiders like acid to incapacitate them. (but it is hard to get near them) and some may be used to sleep in a colonist if he isnt saveable anymore.