Mod installer & auto-update tool - would you use it?

Started by KingOfAwesomnia, December 23, 2014, 12:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igabod

Quote from: mipen on January 21, 2015, 05:38:07 AM
Erm, I meant subfolders xD although sunflowers are pretty cool....

I too like sunflowers. That's why they were the first flower I made for Xtra Plants.

[attachment deleted due to age]

kutch

Quote from: KingOfAwesomnia on January 16, 2015, 06:29:48 PM

• I'm busy developing the rest of the server system, this is quite a bit of work because I also have to develop a complete user and log-in system so that people can have accounts to manage their mods. Yes I know, yet another account you need, I'm very sorry but this is the best way to do things. I also could tie them to the launcher, but then if you change devices or your pc crashes or something, your mods would be... *pause for dramatic effect* lost forever!

Not sure how feasible this is, and how far along you are, but there are different ways to authenticate other than you having to store user id's/pswd's on the server.  One such thing would be authentication via google (assuming they have a google account), openID, and/or maybe authentication via ludeon.com, if that's available.

My general understanding of them is that you include some stuff into the web page which calls, or redirects, them to login using google, openID, etc, and then you're passed back a status, or token, saying they authenticated properly.

joshwoo69

RemingtonRyder

So I've got a little feature request. :)

In the mod options, could there a way to choose one file from two or three?

So that for example, you can switch between different FactionDef files in that mod, but you may only have one active (because more than one is not terribly useful).

Iwillbenicetou

Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

KingOfAwesomnia

Quote from: akiceabear on January 21, 2015, 07:37:11 AMIf there was a good mod browser (e.g. sort by popularity)
That's what I'm going for, but it will probably still be a while before I get to the point where it has a fully featured mod browser like that. The next couple of versions will still be pretty basic, and I will gradually build it up.

Quote from: kutch on January 26, 2015, 08:00:02 PMNot sure how feasible this is, and how far along you are, but there are different ways to authenticate other than you having to store user id's/pswd's on the server.  One such thing would be authentication via google (assuming they have a google account), openID, and/or maybe authentication via ludeon.com, if that's available.
Auth via Ludeon isn't available as far as I know. The others would be an option, and it would actually make development easier (I'm still working on making the upload process easy, haven't gotten to the accounts part yet), but I don't want the fact that people 'have to use their Google or Facebook account' to stand in the way of them using the launcher, as I've noticed that there generally are quite a large number of people who don't like to grant an app like this access to their profiles. This is why I decided to implement a full accounts system.

Unless perhaps (question time!) if everyone here wouldn't mind using their Facebook account to log in? I say Facebook because it is by far the easiest to implement, but of course if everyone wants to use their Google account that would be possible too. I just don't want to go implementing like ten different systems cause that would actually make for more work (and, ya know, programmers are lazy folks), but in any case, if you read this let me know what your thoughts are on the matter. You guys may just make the next version come out a bit faster :D

Quote from: joshwoo69 on January 26, 2015, 08:28:16 PMThis feel like ksp ckan... but better :)
No idea what ckan is, but thanks! Though I have to admit I'm used to my stuff being better than everyone else's, haha :P

Quote from: MarvinKosh on January 26, 2015, 11:10:47 PMIn the mod options, could there a way to choose one file from two or three?
Definitely a good idea, I'll add it to the ideas list and it will probably be added when I revisit the mod settings, which will probably be pretty soon since there have already been a couple of really good suggestions for the settings that make sense and that make me wonder why I didn't think of them for the initial version.

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on January 27, 2015, 11:02:00 AMSo this works now? Just wondering...
That depends on what you mean by 'works'. If you mean
a) Totally awesome and perfect and does everything you could ever dream of and you wish you could marry it just for its pure awesomeness then no. Not yet, at least.
But, on the other hand, if you mean
b) A first version that still only has limited features but that does what it was supposed to and actually does kind of kick ass at those few things then yes, it definitely 'works' :)

Hayhorse

Since not everyone has Facebook or Google How about trying to implement both?

KingOfAwesomnia

Quote from: Hayhorse on January 28, 2015, 09:52:04 PM
Since not everyone has Facebook or Google How about trying to implement both?
Every option I would add just about doubles the work implementing it. I would like to keep it simple for now, so that it doesn't take too long to finish the next version.

mrofa

Go a question do <files> also works with .dll files ?
All i do is clutter all around.

KingOfAwesomnia

I just wanted to give you guys a quick update, and more specifically I wanted to apologise. My new job is requiring me to learn two new programming languages and work with a bunch of systems I've never worked with. As a result, all of my free time right now is going into studying and learning all this new stuff, so I haven't really had a lot of time to work on RW launcher. I do plan to get back to working on it as soon as the job gets back to normal. This isn't what I had planned at all and I'm not very happy about how things are working out, but I'm afraid that there isn't much I can do to change the situation. I will post here again as soon as I can start working on the launcher app again.

Lastly, I'll answer this question (may be a bit late, but I figured I'd better answer it anyways)
Quote from: mrofa on February 09, 2015, 03:36:05 AM
Go a question do <files> also works with .dll files ?
It should work with any kind of file, I've only tested it with XML files but since the program essentially just changes the name of the file it should work just fine.

PokestarFan

Quote from: KingOfAwesomnia on December 23, 2014, 12:20:19 PM
Hi all

I'm thinking of making a little program that will list all existing RimWorld mods, downloads the ones you want and updates them when necessary. Would anyone be interested in using it? And, more importantly, would you guys who make the mods be interested in adding your mod to yet another database?

EDIT2: Download the latest version now at http://rwlauncher.woubuc.be/ (v0.1)

EDIT: You can find the ideas and the progress of the tool at the Trello board: https://trello.com/b/DeIEWPC2

Current ideas:
- Mod database listing all mods, with screenshot(s) and description
- Upload function for mod makers to add their own mods
- Mod versioning per alpha version, so that people who play earlier alphas can still use the tool (but only mods compatible with your version of the game will be shown, so no sifting through lots of mods for different versions like what happens here on the forums)
- Downloader that automatically downloads the mods to the RW mods folder
- Automatic updater that keeps your mods updated
- Activated mods manager + option to change mod order
- Function to flag incompatibility / clashes between mods

But of course this won't get anywhere if you guys don't think it is a good idea. Especially mod makers, I need your opinions because without your support the database would be empty and useless. So please let me know what you think.
That would be the best thing ever. Now I don't have to
1. Look  just for Alpha 9 mods
2. Download them 1 by 1
3.Waste a lot of RimWorld playing time
Does it have modpack capability? I want to mix modpacks

Hoping this doesn't fall through the cracks... i'd rather use this them NMM

CodyRex123

Dragons!

Ykara

I really love the design of the launcher, I've already made my mod fully compatible for the next version, I hope your tool gets updated soon, I can't wait for new features!

LegendZero88

Can you made that the launcher can start every version of the game?
Thanks