Animals.

Started by ImNatalie, December 24, 2014, 09:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImNatalie

Okay, so what if we added a second use for animals? I don't know about you, but I live a peaceful farming colony. I sell my potatoes for silver, and buy every bionic arm I find. I would like to tweak the purposes of animals.

A Colonist's best friend
Add wolves to the game. They will hunt the animals in the biome you live in.
Which then they become pests, they take away a food source if the pack is big enough.
If the pack of wolves is big enough and there is no more meat, the wolves get desperate. The wolves will start attacking the colony. However, you can incapacitate them. Then you can drag them in to a pin and tame them. Eventually, just like prisoners, they will join your colony in the form of a dog.
Then they boost happiness and they work as a defense against attackers. But with bullets come wounds, so maybe doggie armor?

Just another Muffalo Herder Kid
Every time I make a kid that was a Herder, I facedesk. Because I wish I could trap animals and let them breed and slaughter them like we do in real life. Muffalo are like cows, so maybe we can implement milk into the game?? You would have to incapacitate the animal (not squirrels or boomrats.) and then slap a special collar on it, and then it will stay around a designed zone.
Then make a special perk or job in the overview where they take care of the animals. Then you have to move the zone around for them to graze, so the herders actually herd the animals.  MAYBE THE DOGS YOU HAVE CAN HERD THE ANIMALS FOR YOU LIKE IN REAL LIFE! BRILLIANT.

Noobshock

Yeah as the colony grows, the thing that you tend to miss the most is game to hunt. Animal husbandry would be a nice help there.

byondtester

I can already see man's best friend getting shot by its owner repeatedly, the AI never seems to be aware of friendly-fire.

Poor dog will be fully bionic in 2 days tops. Speaking of dog bionics.. POWER JAW!

ImNatalie

Oh my, a bionic dog? Even better  ;D

Johnny Masters

'nuff said

p.s.: there are (or is) mod which already features animal breeding and taming, might be worth checking it out

Kaelent

Quote from: Noobshock on December 24, 2014, 11:01:51 AM
Yeah as the colony grows, the thing that you tend to miss the most is game to hunt. Animal husbandry would be a nice help there.

I guess the field to hydroponics equivalent would be protein vats for meat that doesn't require grazing land and can be done indoors. Though that seems too close to nutrient paste to be unique. Perhaps animal cloning vats that grow an animal in them like plants in a hydroponics basin? I think the biggest problem with Animal Husbandry would be the inability to generate enough meat to make up for the effort. I too had thoughts about domesticating the animals, but 1 muffalo makes about 75 meat and unless they are popping up every other day then that isn't much for sustainable food. Especially since fine and lavish meals require 5/10 meat to make.

If meals could adjusted by meat quantity then that would make it more viable.
Example: Simple meals stay 5 of any meat/plants. Fine meals 5/5 Meat/Veg, for every 1 less of one add 2 of the other (4/7, 3/9, 2/11, 1/13, 0/14 and vice versa). Lavish meals follow the same calculation as Fine meals (10/10, 9/12, 8/14, 7/16, 6/18, 5/20, 4/22, 3/24, 2/26, 1/28, 0/30). Can then add traits such as 'carnivore' or 'vegetarian' to colonists so they require special meals to be happy.

Johnny Masters

Or animals could yield more, way more meat.

75 meat is enough for 7 simple meals. 7 people. That's absurd.

A big bovine weights around 800-1200 kg (that's 1700-2600 pounds+-)... You could make at least a hundred meals with that!

Kaelent

Quote from: Johnny Masters on January 16, 2015, 02:17:10 AM
Or animals could yield more, way more meat.

75 meat is enough for 7 simple meals. 7 people. That's absurd.

A big bovine weights around 800-1200 kg (that's 1700-2600 pounds+-)... You could make at least a hundred meals with that!

I imagine a Muffalo as a giant furball with an actual size of like a dog under all that fuzz. ^_^

Increasing the meat from animals would turn around and make hunting less important. Incidentally that would also make leather harder to come by as you would butcher less animals and get less leather. If you aimed for sustainability late game with high colonist count then early game would get broken. Hunt a single deer and you're set for food.

Then again, you could always make a cheap change and create a research topic that increases yield from plants and animals. Something like better tools and better techniques. That way you can scale your production slightly with a research field to improve quality of your work instead of just simply increasing quantity. If you make it repeatable a few times then you also have a small form of usable late game research.

Johnny Masters

QuoteI imagine a Muffalo as a giant furball with an actual size of like a dog under all that fuzz. ^_^

Hahaha, i suppose its possible, they do appear fluffy!

QuoteIncreasing the meat from animals would turn around and make hunting less important.

Nah, it would make it...more special xD
But it might need a few tweaks tho. For example, they should run away when shot at. Or, if it goes like i'd want, there would be fog of war. So hunting would take longer (looking for the animal, stalking).

It would make things more seasonable perhaps. Like every july you have a muffalo migration (the great huntings) where you hunt to feed you for the months to come.

QuoteIncidentally that would also make leather harder to come by as you would butcher less animals and get less leather.

I consider this to be a good thing, i don't like bloated economy with hundreds of leather all around waiting to be turned into silver

QuoteIf you aimed for sustainability late game with high colonist count then early game would get broken. Hunt a single deer and you're set for food.

Well, that's how humans got by through the ancient ages. Hunt could be a risk business with potential to high reward. Plantation is a slow & steady business.

QuoteThen again, you could always make a cheap change and create a research topic that increases yield from plants and animals. Something like better tools and better techniques. That way you can scale your production slightly with a research field to improve quality of your work instead of just simply increasing quantity. If you make it repeatable a few times then you also have a small form of usable late game research.

I'm always up for more uses for research

hyperkiller

Quote from: ImNatalie on December 24, 2014, 09:27:38 AM
Okay, so what if we added a second use for animals? I don't know about you, but I live a peaceful farming colony. I sell my potatoes for silver, and buy every bionic arm I find. I would like to tweak the purposes of animals.

A Colonist's best friend
Add wolves to the game. They will hunt the animals in the biome you live in.
Which then they become pests, they take away a food source if the pack is big enough.
If the pack of wolves is big enough and there is no more meat, the wolves get desperate. The wolves will start attacking the colony. However, you can incapacitate them. Then you can drag them in to a pin and tame them. Eventually, just like prisoners, they will join your colony in the form of a dog.
Then they boost happiness and they work as a defense against attackers. But with bullets come wounds, so maybe doggie armor?

Just another Muffalo Herder Kid
Every time I make a kid that was a Herder, I facedesk. Because I wish I could trap animals and let them breed and slaughter them like we do in real life. Muffalo are like cows, so maybe we can implement milk into the game?? You would have to incapacitate the animal (not squirrels or boomrats.) and then slap a special collar on it, and then it will stay around a designed zone.
Then make a special perk or job in the overview where they take care of the animals. Then you have to move the zone around for them to graze, so the herders actually herd the animals.  MAYBE THE DOGS YOU HAVE CAN HERD THE ANIMALS FOR YOU LIKE IN REAL LIFE! BRILLIANT.

WOLF PETS! im so in :D

ImNatalie

Quote from: Johnny Masters on January 15, 2015, 11:19:19 PM

'nuff said

p.s.: there are (or is) mod which already features animal breeding and taming, might be worth checking it out

That picture tho. Has a Fallout atmosphere.

Sartain

Quote from: ImNatalie on January 23, 2015, 08:20:25 PM

'nuff said

That's because that's A Boy and his Dog, which is one of the main inspirations for the original Fallout games. They even modeled the leather armor (look, leather, I'm on topic!) in Fallout 1 & 2 to look pretty much exactly like the one in the picture.

ImNatalie

Quote from: Sartain on January 24, 2015, 04:15:20 AM

'nuff said

That's because that's A Boy and his Dog, which is one of the main inspirations for the original Fallout games. They even modeled the leather armor (look, leather, I'm on topic!) in Fallout 1 & 2 to look pretty much exactly like the one in the picture.
Bro...that's not a real picture. It's not a real human or dog. It's animated. It's most likely fan-art for Fallout 3 because of, you know, Dogmeat.

hyperkiller

The only issue That i can see, is that if they require just meat to eat, then some biomes don't have plentiful meat, especially if you play on an icesheet lol. next thing is that how the game is set up, you are going to be Colonist idle thing since they would be part of the colony. rather than that it seems like an awesome ideal lol. and yeah, i agree on armor for the dogs also

Giel

Quote from: ImNatalie on January 24, 2015, 09:52:18 PM
Quote from: Sartain on January 24, 2015, 04:15:20 AM

'nuff said

Bro...that's not a real picture. It's not a real human or dog. It's animated. It's most likely fan-art for Fallout 3 because of, you know, Dogmeat.

I don't think this is fan art from Fallout..  I guess this is Mel Gibson in Mad Max..