Make Solar Flare only effect Power Generation

Started by peterTX, December 26, 2014, 07:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterTX

If you make the Solar Flare event only effect the Power Generation.

It would give betteries more use, instead of just being there to buff power for turrets, you would also need them to power heaters, coolers, lights, etc... during flares.

Also the period could be variable (i.e. 0.5 days to 3 days)
I'm am Ex-Starship pilot, but that RimWorld just jumped out of nowhere, there was nothing I could do.
At lease three of us survived.

Youtube Channel | Gaming

mega

Sorry sir, but that does not match what happens with a solar flare. Technically, depending on the strength of the solar flare, the effects can range from a loss of radios to completely burning out all unshielded electronics.

The damage from the solar flare is the Electromagnetic Pulse, not the light.

Edited to add link to the most powerful recorded solar storm:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

Leird

Maybe make is so that you can build shielded electronics.

peterTX

Yes and No.
Geomagnetic Storm can effect individual electrical devices, but in most cases they only effect devices that are connected to a large wire (like a power grid or as in the 1859 Solar Storm a Telegraph pylon) as these act like a large antenna.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_storm#Disruption_of_electrical_systems

QuoteMaybe make is so that you can build shielded electronics.
Exactly, Most devices are protected by EM shielding (In the device or because they are inside of a structure)
Think of just a few years ago, place a mobile (cell) phone next to some speakers and listen to the noise caused be the signal from the phone.
Now think about more modern speakers, have you heard that sound recently?

So you could make it a research project to add shielding to devices and change the effect of the event.

But even if you don't use the solar flare, I still think a system the stop power generation and adds a dependence on the battery for short periods would make them more useful.
I'm am Ex-Starship pilot, but that RimWorld just jumped out of nowhere, there was nothing I could do.
At lease three of us survived.

Youtube Channel | Gaming

mega

Depends on the strength of the generated magnetic field. Based on reported activity in 1859 unplugged electronics continued to operate based on the induced voltage due to the flux of the magnetic field.

I always thought the eclipse was the event that made you depend on your batteries / geothermal.

If your device is connected to a wire... Well, I am just happy they only shut down as opposed to the battery discharge...