The worst raid I've had to face yet...

Started by Pendryn, November 08, 2013, 12:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pendryn

A horde of squirrels. SO. MANY SQUIRRELS.

Seriously, I have never suffered so much damage from actual raiders. Randy? y u h8n?

This was about 30 squirrels in all. No one died, but the people I had incapacitated... somewhere around 10. Good times.

I love this game.
Reticulating all the splines.

Riker13

Lol! I have yet to have a herd of muffle trample me.... But that sounds like serious business. Lol  :P
Pirate Teir. Save the Muffalos!

Kender

I just want to say 'boomrat'... XD

I actually had a boomrat raid once, and I decided to reload that.
Rogue, from Kendermoore of Dragonlance.

Pendryn

Oh wait, no, I lied. Two raids just landed back to back. Its 44 vs. 24, let's see if I can fight them off.

Update: I can. Easily apparently. Only 4 casaulties, and I left only 7 of them live.

Kender

Impressive. Outnumbered, and won in the end.

Any tip to share?  :D
Rogue, from Kendermoore of Dragonlance.

Pendryn

Well, this is the first time I tried the Sandbag wall sandbag wall combo, and it works really well. Just gotta keep an eye out for frags, that is probably how at least two of my guys died. Other than that, not really. I had a number of really good shooters on my side and a lot of M-24s and 16s. Also I didn't use any turrets this time beyond my initial defense. Then I got rid of them as they are an energy drain, and I can't tell them where to shoot.

Kingmal

Are the harder difficulties that tough? I've only played Cassie so far, and the worst have had to deal with was a raid of about 8 guys with medium weapons. The only reason I mention it is because when I finished microing my soldiers I realized a fire had started in my Hydroponics. Fortunately I rushed everyone to it and put it out before it spread beyond a couple Hydroponics Tables. I'm just glad it doesn't really spread to the carpets or some of my more injured soldiers would definitely be dead - and then the fire would have continued, possibly pushing us out of Hydroponics.

Damn, I actually wish inside fires were more powerful.
Proud member of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

Sirius Cybernetics Corporation - First against the wall when the revolution comes!

ShootyFace

I see a colonist named Tarn.

Nice work, Mr. Sylvester.  8)
"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning

Dragula

My biggest raid was something like 20-25 vs 15(5 snipers, the rest R4) of my own and 8 turrets. Most raids are like that the last days. Some pose quite a challenge depending on their load-out.  Someone posted using hydroponics in front sandbags; Works as half cover but can't traversed. It really works great, i'll try to upload a screenshot of my killzone.

I'm still experimenting on what works best for cover:
2 sandbag,2 wall, 2 sandbag
2 sandbag, 1 wal, 2 sandbag
1 sandbag, 1 wall, 1 sandbag

Dragula

Earlier than expected; Updated base since my previous screenshot post.
Sniper positions to the north, flanked positions the east and west. Hydroponics prevent raiders from leaping over the sandbags while still in half cover :) Great idea that was, not sure who came up with that though and too lazy too look back.
And yes i like writing on the pavement, too bad tiles aren't really made for it

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Dragula on November 08, 2013, 07:28:59 PM
Earlier than expected; Updated base since my previous screenshot post.
Sniper positions to the north, flanked positions the east and west. Hydroponics prevent raiders from leaping over the sandbags while still in half cover :) Great idea that was, not sure who came up with that though and too lazy too look back.
And yes i like writing on the pavement, too bad tiles aren't really made for it

"What're we havin' for breakfast today?"

"Waffles!"

"Again? Great! What kind of topping?"

"Raider!"

"Bring it on!"

I love that defensive fortification.
Raiders must die!

Dragula

Luckless

So far the worst raid I've faced after having time and resources to setup a reasonable choke point defense has been... An insane boom rat, and insanely bad luck.

8 Colonists in all on a kind of an awkward map. Not a lot of ore in the area I ended up settling for the vent and farmland, so mining efforts are a long way away from the main base.

Three miners were on the far side of the map doing their thing, and another three members were headed their way to help out when the boom rat came in. First two heading out were stopped by the boom rat, killed it, and then both of them started putting out the fire on the main defense wall. Then they both promptly caught fire. Didn't notice the third miner that was on his way out walk on past them.

The miners already at the site headed back, and the last two left in the base went to help put out the burning settlers. (Who insisted on running away from help...) They eventually dropped, and the two heading to help them had to carry them back to their beds, which of course are on the far side of the compound from the gate where the fires are.

An insane squirrel waylaid one of the miners headed back, so it was back down to two people trying to fight the cheery blaze, which by this time was happily spreading along my defensive wall and into the grave yards on either side. So they too caught fire before they made much headway.

Then the herd of muffalo found the fire...

Had the rain not rolled in and helped me, I'm fairly sure I would have lost most of the base. Really need to start using more concrete flooring...

zztangnr

you should feel lucky that they are squirrels not boomrats

mumblemumble

Quote from: zztangnr on November 10, 2013, 02:39:32 PM
you should feel lucky that they are squirrels not boomrats
Actually boom rats are easier since they blow each other up, squirrels however need to be shot individually. And squirrels mess you up even worse if you get caught with your pants down, I had a colony ended from it simply because it was like 50, couldn't shoot them all from any point and melee was a death sentence. I actually tried burning a section of my base up for them, but that didn't work either.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.