I think the ability to carry shouldn't be static

Started by nuschler22, December 26, 2014, 11:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuschler22

Would be nice if each colonist had a different capacity to carry.  Maybe make the "hauling" stat mean something.  Larger, more muscular pawns should be able to carry more (maybe up to twice as much as the 75 metal, for example).  And smaller colonists maybe only 50 or so.

Kinakin

A decent idea, but the main issue I think you are trying to adress is that the amount of stuff needed to be hauled drastically increases as the game progresses, but your ability to haul stuff does not.

What you suggest is a possible solution but it adresses only a small aspect of the greater issue. You colonys ability to haul things is determined only partially by the amount of things a singel pawn can carry. His ability to move said things fast over increasing distances is left unadressed. Movement speed is not affected by hauling afaik. And beyond installing bionic legs we have no way to increase it in a way that scales with the need.

Basically the fundemental problem is that we have no current way to reliably scale up our colonys hauling ability beyond hoping on the random chance that new additions to our colony have the skill and a good movement speed.

What we need is the ability to let haulers move larger amounts faster over greater distances. This can be achived by the use of many different features. From backpacks, hand drawn carts and motorized vechiles to rail transport, hover carts and teleport pads. A change in the way we can move people and cargo around the map is needed to keep up with the growing size of the maps and the amount of stuff needed to be moved around in teh end game. 

nuschler22

I think you misunderstood. 

The stat would work both ways and balance out. 

I'm sure it's easy enough to create a mod (and they have been created, such as the conveyor belt and dogs that haul in the past) that would create additional hauling.

I'm talking about the realistic ability for colonists to haul at differing levels.

Kinakin

Well
Im not 100% sure but i think thats more tied into stack size.
And thats currently tid to individual items/things and not the colonist.

EDIT:
so Im not quite sure how they would handle that without having to rewrite alot of code.
But someone who actually knows more about that might give a solution. I like the idea tough.

mega

I agree with the principle of a "strong back" and item weights.

What you should do for now is just set your whole base to hauling for a day or two. Boom, everything is where it needs to go.

Kane Hart

I don't agree with you on the part this should be in General Discussion ;)

nuschler22

Quote from: Kane Hart on December 27, 2014, 01:04:27 AM
I don't agree with you on the part this should be in General Discussion ;)

Why should this not be in general discussion?  I'm perplexed.

Evelyn

Because there happens to be a suggestions board right next door.

nuschler22

Quote from: Evelyn on December 27, 2014, 01:51:26 AM
Because there happens to be a suggestions board right next door.

Never been to that board.

Evelyn

nuschler22

Except that this is general discussion.  About everything.

nuschler22

Quote from: Kinakin on December 26, 2014, 02:56:21 PM
Well
Im not 100% sure but i think thats more tied into stack size.
And thats currently tid to individual items/things and not the colonist.

EDIT:
so Im not quite sure how they would handle that without having to rewrite alot of code.
But someone who actually knows more about that might give a solution. I like the idea tough.

You might be right in that the maximum programmed into the game to carry is 75 but might be easily fixable.

Evelyn

Quote from: nuschler22 on December 27, 2014, 02:01:08 AM

That's just being obtuse. A suggestion belongs in the suggestions board, that's the whole point of there being a suggestions board. Putting it in general discussion is counterintuitive.

nuschler22

Quote from: Evelyn on December 27, 2014, 02:04:18 AM
Quote from: nuschler22 on December 27, 2014, 02:01:08 AM

That's just being obtuse. A suggestion belongs in the suggestions board, that's the whole point of there being a suggestions board. Putting it in general discussion is counterintuitive.

It's not being obtuse.  It's general discussion about the game and not specifically designed to be a suggestion.  It's an opinion about the game.  Please dont make this board hostile with argument and insults.

Evelyn

I don't know how anything I've said would be insulting, but okay.