Game Settings - Pause on specific events

Started by mega, December 26, 2014, 04:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mega

Hi, I would greatly appreciate the ability to set the game to auto-pause when a red letter appears, or when a colonist is injured.

KDStudios

Quote from: mega on December 26, 2014, 04:08:03 PM
Hi, I would greatly appreciate the ability to set the game to auto-pause when a red letter appears, or when a colonist is injured.

I'm not to sure about this.
It really isn't hard to just prod the space bar whenever it appears.
It's great to get in the habit of doing that, I do it.
If you're using the fast speed setting and it happens, you knew the risks of doing that :P

Gridley

+1 - it allows the player to multitask while playing and not miss anything critical.

Geertje123

Quote from: Gridley on December 29, 2014, 10:50:51 AM

+1 - it allows the player to multitask while playing and not miss anything critical.

How do you miss a big red flashing glow around a red envelope and a huge sound alert? :p

I'd rather not have this. It's already a pain in the ass sometimes that you can't fastforward during an attack. If this IS implemented, I'd like it to be an option I can turn on or off.

Grey_Mako

Connected to this, I would like to see the option to over rule the frustrating automatic slow down of time whenever one of my colonists is nibbled by a squirrel etc etc.

mega

I play with the sound off and have two small kids. I can be interrupted anytime by RL, and would prefer not to find I was F'd because I had to grab a screaming baby.

KDStudios

Well if that's the case, whenever you leave the keyboard.
Just press spacebar.
Spacebar, boom, run across the world and do whatever you want.
Come back, press spacebar again and find nothing will have happened to your colony.

SuperCaffeineDude

I'd appreciate the option of an autopause, and it sounds like a cheap addition, personally I more often get screwed over by the little "the xxxx pirates are launching their attack" that doesn't warrant a large icon  ;D. Obviously if it's something I can't turn off (or better yet change the parameters of) I'd prefer to go without though.

Johnny Masters

KDS, by your logic we don't need traffic lights or honk to unaware drivers or pedestrians, because it really isn't hard to just look around.

Most of the stuff we do is to improve, not revolutionize, and i can certainly welcome an auto-pause feature as an improvement.

Look at games like xcom, specifically x-com apocalypse, you could check / un-check a myriad of defining events the game would auto-pause to.

You could, for instance, have it to auto-pause every time an alien was spotted, but have it not to auto-pause when an agent was killed (because fuck that pussy). That's the best solution for an auto-pause feature, several options which you turn on or off at your heart desire. If a 90's game had it, i'm sure a 2k10's could as well. 

But yeah, definitely keep it as an option only.

Vas

KDStudios, the suggestion was to add an option to have it auto pause on certain events.  Not to force auto pause on everyone.  I don't think Tynan would force such an annoying option on everyone.  Unlike devs of other games who just like to force people to use some new annoying feature whether they like it or not.

Also, what if he doesn't want to pause when he runs off to take care of his kid?  What if he is building some long tasked building or walls and doesn't want to wait for it to build when he sits back down after.  If he runs off, and nothing bad happens during his leave, then he comes back to a fully finished wall or whatever.  If something bad happens, he comes back to the game paused and can check the event that happened.

Personally, I think another additional option would be prudent here too.  An idle feature, to set yourself away from keyboard so the game will pause on events you tell it to pause on when idle, and not pause on those events when you are there but still pause for other ones you've set to always auto pause on.

Like the auto home region button, a button to click when idle.  Perhaps a separate screen in the options menu that lets you tick "Auto Pause" and "Idle Pause" on each option that is there.  If you only tick Idle, it only pauses if the game is marked as idle.  If you tick both, it pauses when both.  Perhaps a 3rd option as well "Jumpto" to auto jump to that event and open the mail for it.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

KDStudios

I have no idea what is so hard about pausing the game.
Whenever I leave my computer during ANY game, I pause it.
Why would anyone leave a game running when AFK?
Never in my years of playing RTS games have I left it running to quickly grab a drink or do whatever. I pause the game, go do my thing, come back and unpause it.

Pressing ESC, pressing Spacebar, pressing Pause.
By all of you people's logic if my bladder was about to explode because I was holding it and I was playing Age of Empires for example. I quickly ran up and left without pausing, if enemies get close or whatever bad happens... The game should autopause? Or in Minceraft, a creeper spawns while I'm AFK, should it autopause?

Just pause the damn if you leave the computer.

As for pausing when something bad happens in game while you are there?
I'm playing the game, I don't want the game playing for me.
If people are too bone idle to pause the game when a red letter appears, you're playing the wrong game. Also would it have to pause on ALL red letters? Because I really couldn't give a monkeys about that ONE psycho squirrel...
Oooh, how about instead of autopausing.
We have all red letters auto-open
So they pause the game and take over our screen while we are busy building a base or whatever.

This is a complete waste of time, I'm done as of this post and I'm off to go play my autopausing Facebook/Mobile games.

Johnny Masters

You disagree, fine, no need to throw a tantrum.

Anyway, auto-pauses come in handy when you reach a part in your life where spending time in certain tasks feels like wasting time. Who's to say it's wrong if you want to multi-task while your Wonder or perimeter walls are being built? You are not missing anything, might as well do something else while it's being finished. Perhaps you are a click-fest control freak, but not everyone might or feel the need to be.

erebus2075

agree :) while it isnt importent for me since i can just pause it would be extremely nice :D
would also allow me to do other stuff while my colony ran their setup and doesnt need my attention ^^
(like get food or a drink or something)

Cimanyd

Even if you're watching the game, if you're at high speed you can lose several low-speed seconds before pausing. Several seconds can be important if you have a colonist near the map's edge and attackers showed up right there, if you have colonists away from the base that are now surrounded by psychotic animals, or, of course, if attackers are drop podding into your base.

Quote from: KDStudios on December 27, 2014, 01:03:02 AM
If you're using the fast speed setting and it happens, you knew the risks of doing that :P

I don't agree that speeding up the game to avoid boredom should be a risk.

But if you want it to be, you could always leave the option off.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Vas

Quote from: KDStudios on January 07, 2015, 08:18:02 AMThis is a complete waste of time, I'm done as of this post and I'm off to go play my autopausing Facebook/Mobile games.
Thank god, he left so the whining is gone.  Cause it must be so hard for him to accept that people want a CHOICE that he DOES NOT HAVE TO USE.

KDStudios.  Play something really long, like Star Ruler, or Space Engineers.  Now, set up an hour's worth of materials in Space engineers to refine.  You don't have anything to do till the resources complete.  Are you gonna sit there and watch your refinery work?  Not doing anything in the game but standing around, watching it like a TV?  Are you gonna pause while you're getting some food, just so you don't miss a single second of juicy time consuming refining action?  Or how about in Star Ruler.  You've set your ships to fly across the galaxy.  this tends to be a 15-30 minute thing if you have your fleet go all at once, all of your ships will slow down to the slowest ship in the fleet which tends to be the largest ship.  Are you gonna stay there, watching your fleet harmlessly fly across the big black void to get to another star in another galaxy?  You gonna pause, even if you know nothing bad will happen, if you go to the restroom for a minute?

I don't even pause when I run to the restroom when playing a game like Halo Custom Edition online with people trying to find and kill me every 60 seconds.  I find a place to hide, stand there, go, come back, resume planting 99 second C4 bombs on everyone's back, giggling like an idiot and running off to wait for 99 seconds later I get a quadruple kill or better because he was walking around allies at that time and I was way up in the air flying around in a jet while he complains and calls me a cheater cause he didn't know I did that.

Anyway, auto pause would be an OPTION.  Something that wouldn't effect you at all.  Stop whining.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.