The Most Annoying Thing In Rimworld

Started by Halinder, December 27, 2014, 09:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuschler22

Two things come to mind.  One a game issue, the other a "the way I play" issue.

First, the hunting friendly fire issue.  I don't have my colonists hunt anymore because hunters tend to shoot each other and other colonists who are hauling.  I have been force firing turrets to get my animals lately which have worked very well.

Second, enemies dropping down right on my colony without warning.  I sort of corrected this by adding a big area where my trade beacon is and walling it in, then opening and closing the roof when I want to trade.  I also use this area as my "kill room" so that I don't have to haul the bodies anywhere else, strip them, and then haul the clothes to the trade area.  It feels a little cheap, but it's well worth it in the long run.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mbos14

a thing that i find anoying is the blood and dirt outside. I mean why isnt it either washing away with the rain or get blow away(the dirt ofcourse) with the wind over time.
Also the hauling in hunting thing is anoying especially on the larger maps.
Hunting thing might be resolved with either using traps that need to be set up and baited or making it early game only and adding something like animal caretaking for you meat late game.
Hauling can be solved like some said by adding a robot (it ads the extra research) that only does hauling.
but the most anoying thing in the whole game is stil the fires. There is one mod that added a weapon version of the fire extinguisher so that might help us for now tought.

i do apologise that i sound frustrated and i think the once's above will agrea with me that we love this game and we want it to be great.

xlockeed

Summary

1.Raiders with no sniping skill killing in one shoot. Current 50/50 even when wall cover is being used.
2.Alien world has Earth animals. Mix it up and make stuff up, pink terror-monkey but pink sprite. Rock crawler-turtle but with chunk sprite and has limbs. Vine worm - snake. Tree rats - squirrels. Then again I have no idea how hard it would be to go back through and rename all the line code to reflect changes to names.
3.Stains outside do not wash away. I like how dragging and walking through mess tracks it everywhere. But if it rains it should wash away if outside.
4. Survival meals, aka ai choosing farthest meal. Being looked into.
5. Fires that are not fully put out relighting into a blaze again. Small sparks that get ignored and begin making a large scale fire again.
6. Trade interface. Personal one of mine. Needs number input, really difficult moving mouse left and right when you want a specific amount.
7. Hunting / friendly fire. Ai taking it's fullest range of current held item to setup. So I use to have sniper hunters and I found the ai would go find a spot, and in the mean time the targeted animal would roam away from or behind a rock area. The hunter then moves to yet another location and begins to fire. So I switched them to pistols, now they run in between each other while hunting resulting in medical needs. Friendly fire is one thing but I've had this happen when a normal colonist will be in between ques and assist in shooting hostiles this can be dicey if in the middle of a colony. Do not get me started on visiting idiots and their enemies popping in to visit as well. Nothing like having ten neighbors floating around your base and your tribal friends pop in only to start a fire fight in the middle of your town!
8. Can not help downed allies. Would be nice if there was a rescue so n so and get a plus to relations if they make it alive. Really hate watching blues slowly die and bleed all over my clean floors!
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.

llunauk

9.  Colonists being angry about "Sharing Rooms!"  :P

I get quite frustrated when I'm starting a new Colony that I have to randomize my colonists over and over until I find the 'right ones' and then by accident skip past one I like and being unable to 'go back' .... in fact the whole lack of 'customizable colonists' frustrates me because I would like to pick them and tailor make them down to their specific outfits and colours to meet my specific requirements.  Each colony usually has a set purpose and say I want to have them all as cannibals that would take considerable clicking with the character randomizer.  I understand people have come up with character creators in the mods and such but it seems they are all out of date currently. 

Drahkon

Edb's Prepare Carefully should fit your needs llunauk. I'd love to have a 'Pick 3' mode for colonist selection at start. Twenty people trying to scramble off the failing ship? I'll go with these three.

As for most annoying part? Crazy unlucky RNG. Four of your highly skilled snipers in excellent cover vs their 0 skill brawler and 2 skill trigger-happy fella standing in the open.. and three of yours get oneshot. Or 1/2 of your colonists cleaning up a previous raid, and mechanoid one drops in right between them and your base picking off the ones moving through before you can even move them out. A Little more warning would be nice, even if it was only 'incoming around here in 20 seconds'

lokarn

After roughly 15 colonies and about 50 hours of game time I have these issues to gripe about, some seem to be frustrating others as well.

1. Colonists choosing the "best" meal based on nutrition with zero regard as to distance. IMO it should have more math. IE choose the meal closest to them to eat that is also the highest nutrition coders need some if then coding in there.

2. Friendly fire while hunting. While adding some entertaining moments, it's very annoying to have your colonist blow off the other's leg while hunting a squirrel.....

3. Hunting related; Why do they stand at max range? Have them move to 80% range for hunting at least. I HATE having a colonist go nuts because they took forever hunting due to them aiming, then moving then aiming then moving then aiming then moving.......... repeat 50 more times.

4. The sharing a bedroom debuff is too large, and needs a rework. Do you know how hard it is to get a room for every single colonist? You run out of room so fast, and it's a nightmare keeping them all cooled/heated/both at all times.

5. In the trade interface sometimes my mouse interacts with a line a few lower than the one I am hovering over, and it's even lit up, no idea why.

6. The tribal faction attacks with far too many numbers. I was playing on Phobe hardest setting and I had to defend from 30 of them. I was able to defend just fine, but then I had to make 30 graves for one attack, then they attacked again right after with even more! I restarted because making graves isn't really fun and I had a feeling that was going to be what I did all game. Or burn corpses all day every day.

Cimanyd

Quote from: KDStudios on December 27, 2014, 03:13:53 PMSome of which I'm unaware of and only become aware of when the game tells me someone is injured due to this

Dec 12 changelog
  • Added an alert for fires in the home region.

Quote from: lokarn on December 28, 2014, 03:09:38 AM
6. The tribal faction attacks with far too many numbers. I was playing on Phobe hardest setting and I had to defend from 30 of them. I was able to defend just fine, but then I had to make 30 graves for one attack, then they attacked again right after with even more! I restarted because making graves isn't really fun and I had a feeling that was going to be what I did all game. Or burn corpses all day every day.

You get more enemies per attack with the higher difficulty settings. That's what they do.

Quote from: xlockeed on December 27, 2014, 08:16:56 PM
2.Alien world has Earth animals. Mix it up and make stuff up, pink terror-monkey but pink sprite. Rock crawler-turtle but with chunk sprite and has limbs. Vine worm - snake. Tree rats - squirrels. Then again I have no idea how hard it would be to go back through and rename all the line code to reflect changes to names.

I don't really understand the point of this... you want some of the animals (snakes, squirrels) to be the same, but renamed? Why?

(You might want to read the RimWorld Universe Quick Primer and Longsleep Revival Briefing)

I would like even more different and unusual animals and plants, whether genetically modified (like alphabeavers and boomrats) or even some more "normal" animal characteristics, like carnivores that eat other animals instead of grass, or snakes that are actually venomous. But this isn't really annoying, any more than having only normal humans when that says there are lots of different kinds of humans, modified one way or another.

How did normal non-alien animals get to other planets? It's part of the terraforming process, apparently:
  • Animal worlds - Planets with no people. Either everyone died, or the planet was seeded by terraforming robots and nobody arrived.
(Not that the game's rimworld is an animal world; it's had humans on it for a long time to have the ruins, cryptosleep shrines, and compacted steel and plasteel. And of course it has at least those five human factions.)

I want whip cacti guarding my colonies now. Tynan?
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

lokarn

Quote from: Cimanyd on December 28, 2014, 04:10:51 AM

Quote from: lokarn on December 28, 2014, 03:09:38 AM

You get more enemies per attack with the higher difficulty settings. That's what they do.

You say that as if it answers my point. Again, they have too many. Not because it's hard, because it isn't. They are simply annoying. Why are they annoying? Because making 75 graves for two attacks has a zero fun rating. I understood the numbers would be 160% of what "challenge" would send. My point was it's too many. The other factions are ok. Pirates sent about 15-22 but these guys sent 30+ then about 40.  literally 5 mins apart in real time.

You could say my actual problem/complaint is with the grave making. I just don't see any value at all in fun terms with having to deal with the dead that are forced upon you. Yes I know you can research the incinerator, again zero fun unless you're a weirdo.  Plus these were the first two attacks ever sent. I wasn't planning to research incinerators so soon.

Coolrah

Honestly my only gripe with this game are certain events that you can't prepare for or minimize the damage from such as the random battery explosion. But honestly I can't say I'm annoyed because most of the time if I don't like or feel as though its not right the feeling is quickly replaced by this game is not even in beta but for what it does have and the thriving modding community gives this game a lot of more replayability than some games people go out and pay $60+ for so I just look at it as its a growing process and we can go our own way of trying to make the game better for ourselves. Plenty of the gripes other people before me have can be eased or fixed by some mods we have now.

Pathing

There are 2 things that I think they are ones of most annoying.
1. When I tried to send someone to extinguish the fire, it said... the fire was reserved by.... xxx and where was this xxx? after a while, I found xxx at the other side of colony... and the fire was burning!!!
:'(
2. visitors from other towns killed my prisoners! I had no choice but to attack them and their entire faction became my enemies! now only thing I can do is shooting at visitors on sight if they are going into my colony  :)
Steel is food. Steel is defense. Steel is weapon.
Steel is RimWorld.

bullwinkle

I feel like the shooting skill should mean more. A level 15 shooter should hit a lvl 1 shooter 5 times before they get even a near hit. Especially when your outnumbered 5-1 at times. That I think would make late game raids easier without a kill zone or without burying into a mountain.

Another annoying thing which has been said already is the fact that colonists will walk across the map to eat a meal, get nothing done then start to lose their minds by the time they get back. When there's food ready and available in the colony.

Prisoners that tend to always have mental breaks should be able to be put in hand cuffs or a straight jacket of sorts to stop them from incaping my guy in full power armour.

I agree with the shared bedroom debuff being to strong as in early game it's hard to get everything done and make separate rooms for everyone.

Shinzy

Quote from: bullwinkle on December 28, 2014, 08:52:09 AMI agree with the shared bedroom debuff being to strong as in early game it's hard to get everything done and make separate rooms for everyone.

I don't really find it too strong at all (I've never had any issues with that except with some really volatile pawns but =P)
maybe it could be made as a stacking effect though
sort of like cupla days is okay but then the need for some privacy starts to kick in
and the amount of discomfort coming per day would depend on the pawn itself or something like this

llunauk

Quote from: Drahkon on December 28, 2014, 02:24:57 AM
Edb's Prepare Carefully should fit your needs llunauk.

I seen images from it posted before but there was no mention of the mod name, I tried searching "Pawn Editor, Character Editor, Colonist Changer.. " ...all kinds of stuff.   Thank You!  :D

Asero

Want an option to turn 'disasters off' without having to mod the game files. I can deal with raids and diseases, but my crops constantly being 'blighted' and 'blackouts' really get on my nerves.

Mods that completely clutter up the build interface. Maybe include an option for smaller icons?