The Most Annoying Thing In Rimworld

Started by Halinder, December 27, 2014, 09:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Col_Jessep

Quote from: lokarn on December 28, 2014, 03:09:38 AM
2. Friendly fire while hunting. While adding some entertaining moments, it's very annoying to have your colonist blow off the other's leg while hunting a squirrel.....
Oh yeah, I forgot about that! It would be really nice if the hunters would not shoot when there are friendlies in the line of fire. It's really aggravating if you have to patch up a colonists with 5 holes in him courtesy of Urist McShortsighted's carelessness. =3

Btw, brawlers hitting with M-24 doesn't seem to be a rare occurrence as I believed. Is it possible that there is a bug that gives those brawlers a higher chance to hit than they should have? Or are we just biased because that is stuff you will remember for a long time?

Anyway, maybe the M-24 should require a shooting skill of 5 or 6 just to be usable? From my experience in the military I'd say somebody without any training is more likely to injure himself than to hit anybody with a sharpshooter weapon. To a "brawler" it would be more useful as a club, imo.  ;)

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Menuhin

So although I understand a lot of the complaints about the hunting friendly fire.  In some ways I like that it is a possibility and will note that I find it currently playable. 

I primarily don't use burst weapons and have careful shooters as my hunters which on most larger animals gives them a 99% chance to hit.  This normally makes hunting much quicker and much safer. 

There also seems to be a lot of people who really dislike having items forbidden for hauling.  But using that to control what area of the map your haulers are moving around is a very useful tool.  Then not selecting all the animals on the map to be hunted at the same time.  By doing that I do not have any problem supporting a fair sized colony (10'ish colonists) with meat.

I would like to see some minor tweaks to hunting though.  But more along the line of not standing at max range to hunt.  Maybe a small buff to accuracy when hunting instead of being drafted.  And I'm not sure if really possible, but having animals run away from people unless they're hunting. 

Col_Jessep

I tend to hunt with my worst shooters and pistols. Why? Training. They gain 10x as much XP as if I have them shooting a wall and are doing something productive (sorta). Max range is even a nice thing since they will need A LOT of shots to hit anything which trains them even faster. The only problem is that there are a lot of stray bullets and they will happily shoot each other in the back...  ;D

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Lochar

I agree with the following:

Travelling across map for food. Survival Rations shouldn't be higher than simple meals anyways, they don't spoil and would think a step above nutrient paste. But aside from that I hate that I unforbid to try to get them to haul it into storage only to have them go and eat it on ground and not bring any back unless I start micromanaging. Maybe need 2nd forbid to eat option.

Friendly fire - have to keep my hunters down to a few because way too many shooting accidents.

Shooting skill of Colony vs NPC - they are way more accurate and deadly with lesser skill than my colonists. Also master shooters still take about 10 shots to kill a squirell/boar sometimes....

Lack of good ranged commands. A hunter can auto range a target but during combat I have to manually try to find gun range and then move them into a cover spot to open fire, then keep moving them if AI moves out of range.

Lack of assigning stations - way too many lower skilled folks always steal the crafting stations.

that's my main list anyways

keylocke

my pet peeves would be :

-inadequate self-preservation system : (suggested fix) eat first before sleep -> take care of self first before others -> take care of fellow colonist first before prisoners -> take care of prisoners -> if low morale but not hungry or sleepy and no one to take care of, go to area with highest beauty value

-food distance vs quality + flaws in the hauling mechanics : as others mentioned, distance of food from pawn should be considered vs quality, when looking for something to eat. the hauling system for stacks is also annoying.

-static traits and lack of psychological adaptation : current traits system doesn't seem to allow a colonist to "grow" as a person, so i think the traits system really needs a revamp and make it more dynamic so that people will gain or lose some traits based on their activity. (divide traits into several categories like : physical, mental, psychological.. so physical activities will mostly affect physical traits, etc..)

-accidentally destroying apparel : cremate/butcher should auto remove equipped items of a corpse in front of craft station.

-hunting tedium and lack of animal prioritization : i usually hunt for largest animals first so they don't wander off, before exterminating the vermin. problem with this is too much micromanagement. i'd rather just create a bill on the butcher's table that says : hunt X (animal type) within Y range of butcher table.. this would allow me to create multiple hunting bills and sort them however i like, without having to constantly scan the entire map searching for animals..

Cimanyd

Quote from: Pathing on December 28, 2014, 07:37:15 AM
1. When I tried to send someone to extinguish the fire, it said... the fire was reserved by.... xxx and where was this xxx? after a while, I found xxx at the other side of colony... and the fire was burning!!!

(copying and pasting)
Drafted colonists will automatically put out fires next to them, so you can draft nearby colonists to manually put out fires (without worrying about prioritization) if necessary, if it's something important on fire or one of the fires got reserved by someone halfway across the map.

Quote from: Lochar on December 28, 2014, 02:58:26 PM
Lack of assigning stations - way too many lower skilled folks always steal the crafting stations.

I think the crafting/bill system should be redone. I was going to talk about it here but it would probably fit better in the What do you want in alpha 9/10? thread...
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

thefinn

1. My Favourite mods take too long to update.
That is all...

thefinn

Quote from: Cimanyd on December 28, 2014, 05:45:59 PM
I think the crafting/bill system should be redone. I was going to talk about it here but it would probably fit better in the What do you want in alpha 9/10? thread...

Agree with that too. love to have individual assignations for each table (including mods).

Same with the medical skill. Too often the main doctor needs treatment so u need to assign 2, but that also means the low-skilled guy ends up treating other people... annoying.

ZestyLemons

Quote from: keylocke on December 28, 2014, 03:41:32 PM
my pet peeves would be :

-inadequate self-preservation system : (suggested fix) eat first before sleep -> take care of self first before others -> take care of fellow colonist first before prisoners -> take care of prisoners -> if low morale but not hungry or sleepy and no one to take care of, go to area with highest beauty value

-food distance vs quality + flaws in the hauling mechanics : as others mentioned, distance of food from pawn should be considered vs quality, when looking for something to eat. the hauling system for stacks is also annoying.

-static traits and lack of psychological adaptation : current traits system doesn't seem to allow a colonist to "grow" as a person, so i think the traits system really needs a revamp and make it more dynamic so that people will gain or lose some traits based on their activity. (divide traits into several categories like : physical, mental, psychological.. so physical activities will mostly affect physical traits, etc..)

-accidentally destroying apparel : cremate/butcher should auto remove equipped items of a corpse in front of craft station.

-hunting tedium and lack of animal prioritization : i usually hunt for largest animals first so they don't wander off, before exterminating the vermin. problem with this is too much micromanagement. i'd rather just create a bill on the butcher's table that says : hunt X (animal type) within Y range of butcher table.. this would allow me to create multiple hunting bills and sort them however i like, without having to constantly scan the entire map searching for animals..

I think I have to agree with all of this. The AI is kinda annoying a lot of the time, reserving stuff even though other people are closer and going across the map to eat packaged survival meals (that are totally not meant to be eaten 'just because I'm hungry').
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

llunauk

Lack of Alien content.

It feels like Rimworld is pretty much just a part of Earth , perhaps like some unexplored region of it.  The plants and wildlife are pretty Earth like / similar and nothing has really yelled at me "ALIEN!" yet.  I don't feel like I'm on an alien world and the so called Alien stuff acts Earthy and not alien. 

Amaror

Quote from: lokarn on December 28, 2014, 04:41:07 AM
Quote from: Cimanyd on December 28, 2014, 04:10:51 AM

Quote from: lokarn on December 28, 2014, 03:09:38 AM
6. The tribal faction attacks with far too many numbers. I was playing on Phobe hardest setting and I had to defend from 30 of them. I was able to defend just fine, but then I had to make 30 graves for one attack, then they attacked again right after with even more! I restarted because making graves isn't really fun and I had a feeling that was going to be what I did all game. Or burn corpses all day every day.

You get more enemies per attack with the higher difficulty settings. That's what they do.

You say that as if it answers my point. Again, they have too many. Not because it's hard, because it isn't. They are simply annoying. Why are they annoying? Because making 75 graves for two attacks has a zero fun rating. I understood the numbers would be 160% of what "challenge" would send. My point was it's too many. The other factions are ok. Pirates sent about 15-22 but these guys sent 30+ then about 40.  literally 5 mins apart in real time.

You could say my actual problem/complaint is with the grave making. I just don't see any value at all in fun terms with having to deal with the dead that are forced upon you. Yes I know you can research the incinerator, again zero fun unless you're a weirdo.  Plus these were the first two attacks ever sent. I wasn't planning to research incinerators so soon.

It's literally impossible that the "first two attacks" have 30 guys plus. It's hardcoded that the first attack consists of one guy and they only slowly go up from there.
I usually just put them all in a dumping stockpile around a rock, were my colonists don't see them until i have the cremator and then it's usually no problem at all. I think you problem might be a bug that currently allows the "saw corpse" mood penalty to stack up more than the 3 times it's supposed to and drive all colonists insane form a large amount of bodies.

On Topic:
Hands down: Sieges with snipers are the most annoying and frustrating thing in the game right now. The one-hit kills are so random and yet so powerfull, that it's just not fun. If i loose a colonist it should be because i made a mistake, not because a raider, that doesn't know which side bullets come out of, miracously manages a headshot.

RemingtonRyder

Not being able to be a goody-goody and help that wounded outlander. Especially when I'm basically sitting on a pile of herbal medicine that would have them up and about in no time.

mbos14

Colonist using the tables and chairs in the prison area while there is a perfectly good one just as far not inside the prison

DarknessEyes

My hunters seem to hunt until they starve... Specially if the squirrel hides behind a wall...
Also one of my hunters have a minigun that cause alots of friendly fire while hunting... This happen with all guns but minigun is the worst i have seen so far.
De Surgeries
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18976.0
Adds 26 new surgeries to Rimworld.

Asero

Quote from: marvinkosh on December 29, 2014, 11:11:48 AM
Not being able to be a goody-goody and help that wounded outlander. Especially when I'm basically sitting on a pile of herbal medicine that would have them up and about in no time.

Agreed. It's not only annoying but somewhat unrealistic, especially if you have good relations with said neighbors. Usually I just help and then edit the save files afterwords to fix up the severed relations...