The Most Annoying Thing In Rimworld

Started by Halinder, December 27, 2014, 09:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poulsen78

You are being attacked and the few remaining non drafted colonists thinks its a good idea to walk right into the middle of the fight to repair a wall next to 20 pirates.

runetrantor

The AI crashing down so early on, I really wished the endgame boss had a trigger, rather than a luck roll. Like, make it fall, yes, but dont start physic attacking unless provoked like the release of the mechs, so I can leave it be for a while.

My last one was 100 days into the game (I was playing casual cassandra), needless to say, it went badly as my base was not finished.

Also the fact that the one time I did beat the AI, I was like 'god, finally! Now I can play at peace without the dread of the AI...' then a couple of weeks later another drops down. IN MY FRONT YARD. (As in, two tiles from the door).

Security stuff needs some love too... more turrets, fortifications like DF's, to better defend. (Mortars being more accurate if manned by my super assassin?).

Also, last but not least, the idea that traders start coming less often as the game goes on, which is exactly when I will start relying on them for non renewables like iron. 
I had 6 prisoners in my prison for over two seasons waiting for a slaver, then I had to force him to come with the developer mode tools.
Then my colony collapsed from the negative mood thing of selling people. You guys are AWFULLY attached to some random people that are there because they tried to KILL you all. They act like I stole some poor babies from their mothers' corpses. (Also, why cant I harvest organs from dead people? If done before rotting they should be okay unless they got hit in the battle or something).

loc978

my #1:
"Haul that survival meal drop from the other side of the map"
"...no, the whole thing"
"Not one, not two, all five!"
"...fine, haul two"

Thankfully, it's being taken care of:
Quote from: RimWorld changelog Jan 13Colonists, when hauling to stockpiles, always haul the max amount they can carry, and drop the extra nearby if the target cell can't hold it all.

My #2 is more complex.
When I build some sort of satellite outpost to my main base (generally a walled-in geothermal generator with a power conduit leading to some innocuous portion of my outer wall), I would very much like to be able to fight fires and effect repairs on it without including it in my home zone. I hate watching my designated janitor sprint out the front gate because a squirrel tracked dirt on my power line. I don't care if my power station is dirty, I only care if it's on fire!

MrWiggles

Hunting not taking meat value and distance into account for hunting selection.

Pawns not taking into account distance when selecting a meal to eat. For this one, probably travel time would be more important.

"Gotta go starve the prisoners so I can get that pre package food."

Not understanding the moral defaults of the colonists community.

Parka being over powered.

Parka micro management.

AC losing power for no understandable reason.

Plamssteel being flammable, and overall work then granite.

No clear way to see how much power your base is consuming.

rbos

A small annoyance I have - is that when a cooler is chilling a room to -1, and the "hot zone" is -20, it still uses power. Surely the cooler could just open a vent to the outside and use no power at all.

milon

^ Your thermostat takes power even when at the right temp. It has to keep monitoring the temp to know when to switch on again.

monkeystyxx

Non-combatants running through a battlefield to do something mundane and unimportant (like haul a stone chunk, or repair a wall). So much friendly fire...

IMO there should be a zone created around someone who's recently fired a weapon, extending the range of the weapon in all directions. If you're not drafted, those zones become impassible for pathing purposes unless the player has specifically asked you to prioritise a task that involves entering one.

That's the simplest way I can think of of avoiding unnecessary injuries. I mean, some collateral damage is expected, and can be fun and lead to great stories. Running through a firefight to automatically repair a wall/sandbag is not fun, that's just stupid. It's not just repairs, either. I've seen guys run straight through a firefight to haul a chunk of stone...

milon

^ I agree that it is a problem.  Your solution (I think) wouldn't be hard to implement, but it has a major drawback: As soon as your defenders open fire, all non-drafted colonists are going to crowd into the back of your base or run right out the back.  This would be especially annoying if you have snipers with long-range weapons.  Then you'd be stuck prioritizing/micromanaging all of your colonists for the duration of the fight.  Which is no better than the current system, unfortunately.

RemingtonRyder

How about extending a hostile bubble outwards from the attackers and if your undrafted colonists can't find a route through that bubble which uses cover, then they do something else.

I'm fine with colonists repairing a defensive wall, as long as they're in cover.

BoogieMan

Before I say was bothers me, I want to first say that I love this game. Immensely. It's one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long, long time and I eager to see it evolve.

But since constructive feedback is such a useful thing to have: From most to least, and not counting things I think are getting fixed:

-1-
Mortar Raiders - I hate these guys. Sometimes you can take them out with careful positioning while you build, but other times they're in a position you cant get any cover. And if you have a lot of colonists, it's just to much to manage out in the open. And Mortars are vastly more useful to raiders than the colony. Your mortars have to hit in a small area to be of any use, while theirs can shoot a very large area of your base and be productive. I once built 6 mortars that I used instead of rushing out to meet the invaders, and maybe 1 in 3 attacks did they barely help enough to be worthwhile.

-2-
Friendly fire being so common, especially for those out hunting. I think my colonists are a bunch of Dick Cheney clones.

-3-
(mood) Psychic Drones that are off map. You're just going to sit there, take it, and like it!

-4-
Some people having near mental breakdowns almost daily because they are hungry or tired. I don't care if you're depressive or neurotic just eat something, lay down, and STFU!

-5-
Medicine being used to treat bruises and other minor injuries.

-6-
That the small and benign animals can do damage to people in power armor.

-7-
People with severe brain damage being ULTRA slow moving. Just restrict them to simple tasks or something. I once had one that was so slow, she starved to death before she finished one operation and she had just eaten before starting it.

-8-
Mountains of clothing and gear not getting hauled in ages.

-9-
Lack of resources available for mining or trade late game.

-10-
Clothing micromanagement in areas with wide temperature variance.

-11-
Objects made of things like steel, plasteel, stone, etc burning. MAYBE from the initial blast area (napalm) but not fire that spreads.

-12-
Ancient Cryocasket blind lottery. They have viewports, afterall!

FridayBiology

Stalling Tribesmen attack late game. Tribesmen arrive and then wait around.
Just out side base, end up having half my group in defensive positions a whole day.
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

monkeystyxx

Quote from: milon on January 26, 2015, 02:41:51 PM
^ I agree that it is a problem.  Your solution (I think) wouldn't be hard to implement, but it has a major drawback: As soon as your defenders open fire, all non-drafted colonists are going to crowd into the back of your base or run right out the back.  This would be especially annoying if you have snipers with long-range weapons.  Then you'd be stuck prioritizing/micromanaging all of your colonists for the duration of the fight.  Which is no better than the current system, unfortunately.

Good point... perhaps a bubble which extends towards hostiles, then, instead of in all directions?

milon

Quote from: MarvinKosh on January 26, 2015, 03:20:40 PM
How about extending a hostile bubble outwards from the attackers and if your undrafted colonists can't find a route through that bubble which uses cover, then they do something else.

I'm fine with colonists repairing a defensive wall, as long as they're in cover.

That's a good idea.  The system can paint a line-of-sight danger zone for the raiders and have non-drafted colonists avoid the area.  Drafted colonists can path-find in such a way as to minimize the number of steps within the danger zone.  And the danger zone would only have to be updated if a raider moves, drops their weapon, or gets killed/incap.  Not a big performance hit, but definitely safer for colonists.  (And maybe this same danger zone could include colonists who are actively hunting.)

Quote from: Feirfec on January 26, 2015, 06:39:25 PM
Stalling Tribesmen attack late game. Tribesmen arrive and then wait around.
Just out side base, end up having half my group in defensive positions a whole day.

There's a mortar for that.  Preferably incendiary.  ;)

Boboid

Dunno about anyone else but I find it *incredibly* frustrating to work around Overhead Mountains when you run into pockets of "outside" in the middle of mountains.

I like that they're there, but the interface just isn't up to the task when it comes to making sure you only create things in the mortar-free zones. You can draw no-roof zones over these pockets which will highlight all the non-mountain sections but you can't overlay that interface when you're placing walls or.. well doing anything else. In addition the roof display in the bottom left of your screen is obscured when you're placing walls or mining :(

All in all it's just too hard to make sure you don't accidentally place something that's not under cover when you're battling with these pockets.

Also clothing micromanagement is a freaking nightmare when you get 15+ colonists, like almost every colony management game out there Rimworld would really benefit from a uniform system whereby you can easily tell your colonists to wear particular things without individually requesting they put them all on piece by piece.

Also you can't assign stockpile restrictions by material type, you can tell them to stockpile T-shirts, but not to only stockpile for example.. Synthread, Devilstrand, and Hyperweave shirts.

Oh.. and you can't change hydroponic plants in bulk.. you have to do .. each.. freaking.. one. It's incredibly tedious to click on the hydroponic.. select the potato instead.. then click again for the hydro, then click the grow butting, change the plant, and repeat... 30 times.

Heh.. and drafted colonists with melee weapons just... stand there. I've run some very successful colonies using ONLY melee weapons but as the population increases it's just far too annoying to tell each and every one to attack.

On the subject of melee - colonists will walk to where the target * was * then wait their weapons ENTIRE cooldown timer before continuing to chase the target, it's incredibly stupid to watch someone armed with a club ( Which iirc has like a 3 second cooldown timer if it's made out of stone ) unable to catch someone who's got a busted up leg.

Edit: And the freaking way deconstruct works on like.. furniture. "I want to move this chair from this side of the room to the other, time to get out the hammer and smash it into kindling, then recreate the chair minus all the wasted timber"
Beds.. tables.. chairs.. coolers.. heaters, frankly most objects ought to deconstruct into items that can be placed rather than their component parts.

And the way you can't extinguish fires on large objects like.. solar panels -.-
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

akiceabear

I find evaluating new apparel and weaponry a huge pain - wish there was a way to compare two items side by side, rather than info'ing one after another and trying to keep it all in mind. Usually in those cases I just remember the market value...