2 Questions - Multiplayer / Terrain Layers

Started by Wulfik, December 27, 2014, 05:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulfik

1. Will there be multiplayer ? Would be nice to co-manage base with friend/s or fight against them/him. ( AoE 2 had this options if you set same color you could control one nation simultaneously. )

2. Are there going to be layers ( Gnomoria or Towns or other games ) ? Would be nice to mine in deep underground or find some underground base or be attacked or so.

Any info will work, what you think, red, saw, heard etc. :) Thanks.

wooaa

1. I have not heard anything about multiplayer so I do not think it is a planned feature.

2. Z levels have been talked about a lot. Every 3 weeks or so it is brought up. Each time it is the same. It is not planned because literally adding a dimension to the game would change it dramatically from what it is now. It would be too hard to implement without breaking anything and it is not the direction the game wants to go.

welcome to the rim.

Wulfik

JonoRig

I believe Ty's unofficial statement was something along the lines of "When it comes to large, complex changes to the game, if I had to do one, I'd much rather make multiplayer than Z-levels"

This above is paraphrasing from a memory of a big Z-levels thread, and no way representative of Ty's official stance on these mechanics :P

Team: Colonist

I hope that a multilayer could be added, but I know that that is a 'world away' on the lists of things to do.

milon

My idea of multiplayer for RimWorld is just a way for our saves to interact. ie, my colony would be a faction in your game, and controlled by the AI on your PC.

Lochar

I don't mind non multi layer but would like to see transport and bigger maps.

Stannis

1. Ludeon: I would recommend they do this the way "Don't Starve" did, as a DLC to a mature game.

2. Modders: I would first try same machine control of the same game, then LAN control of the same game then internet control of the same game, then implement two colonies competing on the same map. Finally, an implementation of the world map into the concept.

One of the challenges will be to triage what information needs to be shared about the gazillion object variables in the game, and what can be generated locally.

ZestyLemons

The official answers to both of these from Tynan:

1) Maybe
2) Maybe

They're not great answers. It's likely Tynan is going to focus on the original planned modules more and then maybe consider these later. I think multiplayer could be a likely feature some time in the far future since it's not insanely difficult to implement, but it does require a lot of work on its own.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Wulfik

Thanks once again to all of you guys ;)