Pawn too small

Started by SlimeCrusher, December 27, 2014, 11:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlimeCrusher

Yup, just finished coding in my pawn (A tank) and when i get ingame, it is too small, even smaller than a colonist... Any way to make it bigger? I've tried using <bodySize> but it doesn't appear to be doing anything, i remember it worked before, but now it doesn't. Any help?  :-\

Berengar

you need an bigger picture. :)

SlimeCrusher

Ok then, 256x256 should be enough for a pawn a bit bigger than a centipede?
I remember back in Alpha 2/3 the <bodySize> thing did something. What's the function of it?  :P

Edit: Uhh no it doesn't work, it even makes the pawn smaller. What happens is the game uses big textures (500x500 for example) and converts them to smaller ones for use ingame, the product: A very small but detailed texture, wich loses most of the detail because its too small.
Yup, any other solutions?  :D

Shinzy

the game scales the images automatically somehow (don't know exactly how it works cause I do stuff through trial and error so =P)

But you'll need to scale the background of your image like this

The right one should be really large ingame
and the left picture shows up as really small

Berengar

What the...
Sir? Can i have that cute little Boars? :D

Shinzy

Quote from: Berengar on December 28, 2014, 12:01:54 PM
What the...
Sir? Can i have that cute little Boars? :D

Nuuu! they my cute little piggies!

If someone were to update the giant boars mod, then you could have them in your game but Xander isn't around anymore! and there's vanilla pigs now, too. But I might add them as part of my other aminals when I do them, somewhere in the far, far future =P

SlimeCrusher

Not that it did much, its still small...
Ok, to clear things a little, i want it to be 2 times bigger than how it is right now, but i've already taken all texture space i can afford, i can't make texture bigger because its already the biggest it can get. Any way to duplicate the size of the pawn using XML?
I don't really care about the size of this one much, but when i get on making the heavy (Currently made a light and medium tank) it will look way too off being the size of a colonist  :-\

Shinzy

hm then I'm unsure what to do about this

could you add the xml files and maybe placeholder textures of your tanks (if you hesitate to post the original ones to strangers who will very likely eat them because they're a cybernetic goat)
people could probably take a better look at what's wrong it's bit harder to try figure out things with textures if you can't see them yourself =P

SlimeCrusher

I sometimes fear people will steal my stuff and upload them as theirs  :P
But anyways, here it is the xml of the pawn and textures:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/23qtwt458l3kjhe/tankmodyay.rar?dl=0
Note: Don't do anything with the Mechanoid_LRT tank, that is the light one, wich conveniently comes without any textures because meh, the one im having problems is with the "Mechanoid_RMT". Should work nicely with its gun defs included, all i want is to make the graphics bigger, maybe twice how big it is now.
Just an ingame pic:

(Left: LRT, light tank. Right: RMT, medium tank, the one im talking about)

Shinzy

aight! now I couldn't get the tank to appear in the spawn menu so I may be silly or blind or just ate your mod like I threathened

You could change the actual image size to like 200 without losing much detail on the tank at all (and maybe even touch it up afterwards bit if it does, but you wouldn't really see anything ingame)

OR try see if turning the <GraphicOverdraw>True</blablah>
to False instead and see if that does anything first

if neither does nothing for you I'll try to dig in bit more on this tomorrow =P okiday?

SlimeCrusher

Turned off graphicOverdraw thing... And now its even smaller  :o
I'll see if changing texture resolution does anything now.