Late game corpse penalty is just way to severe.

Started by nuschler22, December 28, 2014, 02:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drahkon

Any basic text editor can handle XML, including notepad. It's just a text file, it's the contents that make it XML. Though I'd personally recommend programmer's notepad for the color scheme and other features. (free, no hiding added crap software)

nuschler22

Quote from: Drahkon on December 28, 2014, 12:43:06 PM
Any basic text editor can handle XML, including notepad. It's just a text file, it's the contents that make it XML. Though I'd personally recommend programmer's notepad for the color scheme and other features. (free, no hiding added crap software)

Didn't know that, thank you.  I just tried it and works great.

Col_Jessep

Nuschler, if you want to look a bit deeper into how RimWorld works try Notepad++:
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

It's an awesome text editor and easy to work with.

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Drahkon

I've used notepad++ as well. It works about as well as programmer's notepad, just a matter of preference.

http://www.pnotepad.org/

nuschler22

Quote from: Col_Jessep on December 28, 2014, 01:35:55 PM
Nuschler, if you want to look a bit deeper into how RimWorld works try Notepad++:
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

It's an awesome text editor and easy to work with.

Thank you! :)

Cimanyd

Quote from: nuschler22 on December 28, 2014, 10:14:03 AM
Quote from: Cimanyd on December 28, 2014, 03:19:17 AM
Other discussions of this bug:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8236.0

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8390.0

I hate when people do this.  So, once it's been mentioned on a forum, it can never been be brought up again? 

I hope this forum doesn't denigrate into a bunch of self appointed forum police.

It always seems to be the people that never make topics, but just travel from post to post, too.

Edit:  Looking at your posts, I see you do this.  Travel into other people's topics and make comments like "I don't understand the point of this post" or criticizing people's comments.  Please stop.  This is a friendly forum.

You hate when links to other threads are posted? What? Why?

When did I say it could never be discussed again?

Why would I make a new thread instead of posting in a thread that already exists and where people are currently discussing something?

What problems do you have with my other posts?

I was only linking two other threads where the bug was reported and methods of dealing with it or fixing it were discussed, so anyone reading this new thread wouldn't miss those. Please don't make assumptions like that.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

xlockeed

You do know that in the trade window near a slave there is a  " i " click that to look over said slave traits / skills. As for raiders just click the incapacitated character tab and if desirable go and capture them. Psychopath and Blood lust are pretty common in my play through.
Random Randy will give you slave traders / escape pods all through out play no matter colony population. The other two have population ceilings and will stop / low % with slave trader / crashed escape pod arrivals. You can also change story teller in options to have Randy take over / revert back anytime.
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.

nuschler22

Quote from: Cimanyd on December 28, 2014, 06:04:58 PM
Quote from: nuschler22 on December 28, 2014, 10:14:03 AM
Quote from: Cimanyd on December 28, 2014, 03:19:17 AM
Other discussions of this bug:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8236.0

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8390.0

I hate when people do this.  So, once it's been mentioned on a forum, it can never been be brought up again? 

I hope this forum doesn't denigrate into a bunch of self appointed forum police.

It always seems to be the people that never make topics, but just travel from post to post, too.

Edit:  Looking at your posts, I see you do this.  Travel into other people's topics and make comments like "I don't understand the point of this post" or criticizing people's comments.  Please stop.  This is a friendly forum.

You hate when links to other threads are posted? What? Why?

When did I say it could never be discussed again?

Why would I make a new thread instead of posting in a thread that already exists and where people are currently discussing something?

What problems do you have with my other posts?

I was only linking two other threads where the bug was reported and methods of dealing with it or fixing it were discussed, so anyone reading this new thread wouldn't miss those. Please don't make assumptions like that.

Than say that's what you're doing.  And we all know why you did it, and I doubt it was to be helpful.  Because if that was the case, you would have said something like "Hey, here are some solutions" not these have been previously discussed. 

nuschler22

Quote from: xlockeed on December 28, 2014, 06:14:06 PM
You do know that in the trade window near a slave there is a  " i " click that to look over said slave traits / skills. As for raiders just click the incapacitated character tab and if desirable go and capture them. Psychopath and Blood lust are pretty common in my play through.
Random Randy will give you slave traders / escape pods all through out play no matter colony population. The other two have population ceilings and will stop / low % with slave trader / crashed escape pod arrivals. You can also change story teller in options to have Randy take over / revert back anytime.

I do know that, yes.  So your suggestion is to only use psychopaths that come along very infrequently.   Gotcha.  I rarely see them whether in slave traders or in those that can be captured.  Like I said previously, I had one psychopath and no blood thirsty in 29 random colonists.  In my playthrough now, I have one psychopath that I randomly came across. 

I went another route and changed the code.  Thanks though.

Evul

If I remember correctly Ty once said raids should be a big deal and a thing that spice up the survival aspect of the game nothing that you need to adept your base to. The raid should be something bad and dangerus and something that should be unsuspected.
Not like it is now when you can assume raids will come every 1 or 3 month.

lokarn

Quote from: Evul on December 28, 2014, 07:07:35 PM
If I remember correctly Ty once said raids should be a big deal and a thing that spice up the survival aspect of the game nothing that you need to adept your base to. The raid should be something bad and dangerus and something that should be unsuspected.
Not like it is now when you can assume raids will come every 1 or 3 month.

If this is true, then perhaps it's just a place holder because they haven't coded enough other types of events yet? As it stands now the game seems to be rather linear with one major point of contention, raids.   I would map it as such;

1. land have time to make a small, usually unfinished base
2. have random easy encounter number 1
3. finish small base, have low-medium encounter IE raid by pirate or tribe faction
4. Repeat random raid encounter with increasing difficulty and frequency based on story AI and difficulty setting.
5. sprinkle random easy event ( raging animal/beavers/power issue/weather problem)

I hope the raids can stay fun, and the environment can be made to be a challenge while still fun.

Listy

A thought occurs before I go choppy choppy on the code files.

Can we not just use the dev mode to play mind games with out colonists?

Tynan

Yes this is a bug, you should use the fix posted. Sorry I didn't catch this earlier in development. This will defs be fixed for A9.

And please, let's try to keep it on topic and pleasant.

EDIT: I've released a hotfix, see ludeon.com
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Listy

Quote from: Tynan on December 29, 2014, 12:25:42 PM

And that's why we like Indie Dev's. Even despite being full of turkey you still managed to work to our whining.

Thanks though, it really was a game killer.

Edit:
That was just in the nick of time, 30 seconds after opening up the modified game:

"Sir Email reports Tribals to the North east, Hundreds of them!
Sir Email report

jack020

Quote from: Tynan on December 29, 2014, 12:25:42 PM
Yes this is a bug, you should use the fix posted. Sorry I didn't catch this earlier in development. This will defs be fixed for A9.

And please, let's try to keep it on topic and pleasant.

will the observed corpse negative mood effect limit also be increased eventually? -6 (or w.e it's officially supposed to be) is way to low imo (and in the opion of some other forum goers), you can basicly not make your colonists lose sanity as long as there fed and rested, which kills a potential challenge / difficulty.

tried different maximum lvls of negative mood effects for observed corpse and -30 seems quite good so far.

or is this up to us to alter if we wish for this? :)

Quote from: Listy on December 29, 2014, 01:39:00 PM
That was just in the nick of time, 30 seconds after opening up the modified game:

lol, your saying it like you avoided a catastrophe XD

my hotfix also works, it's actually slightly different from tynan's