Different types of walls

Started by Shaft, November 08, 2013, 02:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaft

After losing my solar arrays for the umpteenth time to raiders, I decided to make an attempt to wall them up(with a few doors so colonists can go outside).  As soon as my walls were closed, here comes the auto-roof.  Now, I'm fine with the idea of a roof.  It protects from rain, lightning, and maybe other effects.  I need a way to WALL something off without the roof, so my solar arrays can get sun.

My recommendation is defensive walls in addition to regular walls.  They will not trigger a roof.  As an added idea, maybe they could have more HP, but be more expensive to build.  The regular walls should get some bump for looking nice and the new walls to get a negative adjustment for looking ugly.

NephilimNexus

Standard Wall: 3 metal.  100HP per segment.  Internal power conduit.

Reinforced Wall: 5 metal.  200HP per segment.  Internal power conduit.

Cheap Wall: 1 metal.  25HP per segment.  No internal power conduit.

Outdoor Fence: 2 metal.  50HP per segment.  No internal power conduit.  No roof.

Light Panels: 4 metal.  80HP per segment.  Internal power conduit.  Generates small amount of light, uses 1 power.

Blast Wall: 20 metal.  1000HP per segment.  No internal power conduit.  Each "segment" is a 2x2 solid block.

Advanced Hydroponic Wall: 10 metal.  50HP per segment.  Internal power conduit.  Gives a small amount of light.  Grows small plants inside hydroponic planters recessed into the wall itself (1 nutrient per segment per day).  Consumes 2 power per segment.  Requires research.

Energy Collector Wall: 8 metal.  85HP per segment.  Internal power conduit.  Fans built into wall will generate energy if wind is present (at least one facing of the wall must face Outside).  Generates 0-3 power, variable.

Organic Wall: 4 metal, 8 nutrients.  75HP per segment.  No internal power conduit.  Advanced technology.  Nanotech and biotech combine create a wall that will slowly maintains and repairs itself over time when exposed to sunlight.

ShadowDragon8685

Honestly, what I'd like to see is some kind of palisade wall. A defensive wall that your colonists can man and shoot down from, but that raiders can't rush into melee with and which doesn't blow up instantly if a grenade falls next to it.

Also, some kind of sturdy exterior wall that isn't quite so nasty as your "Blast Wall" idea. 20 metal's an awful lot, even if it did become 5 metal and 250HP per one square instead of the 2x2 block.
Raiders must die!

Shaft

Good stuff.  I would like to modify my original post to say that defensive walls do not conduct electricity.

todofwar

Flame retardant walls. Cost a bit more, but don't catch fire. If an area is surrounded by them it gains sprinklers. The sprinklers would need power, and some objects will be damaged by the water (already built in for rain).

rsdworker

Quote from: todofwar on November 08, 2013, 07:50:14 PM
Flame retardant walls. Cost a bit more, but don't catch fire. If an area is surrounded by them it gains sprinklers. The sprinklers would need power, and some objects will be damaged by the water (already built in for rain).
the sprinklers don't need power actually in real life