Harsh Map-Size-Warning

Started by Asero, December 28, 2014, 03:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asero

When you start and new colony, and try to modify the default (small) map size you get get a pretty neat warning about impending disasters and all that nasty stuff  ;D

Is there any real reason I can't play on the bigger maps? (Since I'm currently playing quite comfortably on a large map on my crappy laptop at work  ::))

Shinzy

they're just not tested properly so there could well be some laggy issues in the endgame
so not really no! =P
it's more just a fair warning that there could be something you might not like
kind of like may contain nuts sort of deal!

Stannis

I was wondering just how helpful a new CPU would be, I am using an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400: 2.8 GHz with 8 GB ram. It seems to play fine on the default maps, I haven't seen much of the end game or larger maps yet.

NoImageAvailable

I have an i5 running at 4.2GHz and running the 400x400 maps I do notice slight lag when running in 3x speed. 350x350 will lag sometimes when a big raid happens and I run 3x speed. Beyond that I haven't had any problems whatsoever.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Drahkon

Honestly I find the most trouble with the excessive map sizes to be.. pawn travel time. "I started walking to this raid camp to loot after breakfast but now I'm really tired, hungry, and half way there" type issue >.>

nuschler22

For me, the lag happens most on bigger maps toward the later stages of the game when you have more colonists, there's a big fire and it starts raining.  And when there are many raiders.

Scotty

You might find larger maps might lagg at higher speed.

Geertje123

Quote from: Stannis on December 28, 2014, 04:09:10 PM
I was wondering just how helpful a new CPU would be, I am using an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400: 2.8 GHz with 8 GB ram. It seems to play fine on the default maps, I haven't seen much of the end game or larger maps yet.

I have a small framerate drop when large raids happen. I play on one of the largest maps and it only started happening lately. I am in year 9 and have ~20 colonists, so that might have something to do with it.

Anyway, with any modern laptop/pc it should all run fine. My laptop is currently 3 years old

Stannis

[quote author=Geertje123
I have a small framerate drop when large raids happen. I play on one of the largest maps and it only started happening lately. I am in year 9 and have ~20 colonists, so that might have something to do with it.

Anyway, with any modern laptop/pc it should all run fine. My laptop is currently 3 years old
[/quote]

That's good to know. I played a little but of the ludeonicris size and at least early on it was fine, slower, but still fine.