[MOD] (Alpha 8) Hermit's Farm Mod (v0.04) (26/01/2015)

Started by Winter Hermit, December 28, 2014, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enjoyment

Oh, don't take it so serius. I love the way your mod is heading. It was not a critic to your method, just a question about plans..)
As for temperature regulation - it wont be so useful due to heaters/coolers system. Cause I can make a room with any needed temp year-round... IMHO...
English is neither my native lang nor my strong side...

Igabod

Currently there is no way to modify the temperature at which plants will survive in XML. You would need to do some C# coding for that. If you can find a way to do it without a .dll please tell me though. I've got tons of plants sitting on the back burner for when I can make winter thriving plants possible.

ProtoTypeRaavyn

Quote from: Winter Hermit on January 14, 2015, 07:55:50 AM
Quote from: ProtoTypeRaavyn on January 14, 2015, 12:47:57 AM
So the mod made it so my guys would no longer make meals and they only ate raw food, Then when I went to uninstall it, it has made the game unplayable. I have A list of my mods and the mods order. Please help. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EYCo9AOKO0LPlddxmmRsllVju5cgEtBoNtNdnw39k2c/edit#gid=0

i'll look into this for you.

update:

Ok, i found the problem. The making coffee mod changes the DoBillsCook def file for the cook stove, the work bench is changed to the coffee making machine. The colonist weren't making any meals because there was no longer a WorkGiver def file telling them to do so.

If you play with out the making coffee mod then your setup should work. You should probably consider mine and ToastyBuns' mod incompatible until the WorkGiver clash is sorted.
Thank you SO VERY much for taking the time to look into this for me.  Is there anything I need to be able to do to play my colonies again? After taking out the coffee mod the colony won't load. I am guessing I need to uninstall the base game and mods to fix this?

Winter Hermit

Update!

I've balance a bunch of things:
-Growth time and crop yield. Some crops take longer to grow than others now, but rewards you with a higher yield than you would normally have received.
-I changed the power consumption, material needs and build time of the work benches
-I adjusted the amount of ingredients needs to complete a tasks for some recipes. Since making bread had more steps to it than others, i would take longer to make the same amount due to multiple trips. I increased the amount of flour, dough and bread that is made in each task to counteract this.

I made a mistake before, i said that i had included Rye, but had forgotten to actually finish putting it in. It's in the game now.

Let me know what you guys think of the balance changes.

Quote from: ProtoTypeRaavyn on January 14, 2015, 05:07:30 PM
Thank you SO VERY much for taking the time to look into this for me.  Is there anything I need to be able to do to play my colonies again? After taking out the coffee mod the colony won't load. I am guessing I need to uninstall the base game and mods to fix this?

You're welcome! I would recommend starting a new test colony to check that not using the coffee mod solves the solution. If it does, happy days! If not, then there maybe something else wrong.

To play your other colonies it should be a simple matter of changing the WorkGiver def file in the coffee mod to a different name. In the def file it'll say:

<WorkGiverDef>
    <defName>DoBillsCook</defName>
    <giverClass>WorkGiver_DoBill</giverClass>
    <workType>Cooking</workType>
    <priorityInType>500</priorityInType>
    <singleBillGiverDef>CoffeeMachine</singleBillGiverDef>
    <verb>cook</verb>
    <gerund>cooking</gerund>
    <requiredActivities>
      <li>Manipulation</li>
    </requiredActivities>
  </WorkGiverDef>

try changing <defName>DoBillsCook</defName> to <defName>DoBillsMakeCoffee</defName>

Quote from: Igabod on January 14, 2015, 11:54:33 AM
Currently there is no way to modify the temperature at which plants will survive in XML. You would need to do some C# coding for that. If you can find a way to do it without a .dll please tell me though. I've got tons of plants sitting on the back burner for when I can make winter thriving plants possible.

Yeah, i realised this when i looked into it. Once I've learn to code in C#, i'll see if i can make it possible.

Quote from: Enjoyment on January 14, 2015, 10:24:49 AM
Oh, don't take it so serius. I love the way your mod is heading. It was not a critic to your method, just a question about plans..)
As for temperature regulation - it wont be so useful due to heaters/coolers system. Cause I can make a room with any needed temp year-round... IMHO...

Don't worry, i don't mind criticism or comments about the mod! The more comments/thoughts i get the better i can make the mod! Keep em coming, i'm enjoying my self.

Ramsis

Can we please get some pictures Winter?

Also yay for Orchards.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Winter Hermit

Quote from: Ramsis on January 14, 2015, 07:23:25 PM

Also yay for Orchards.

I put some screenshots in the original post this evening. I think they show off everything.  :)

Orchards will be awhile away. I think Igabod's Xtra Plants mod has orchard like stuff.

Ramsis

Quote from: Winter Hermit on January 14, 2015, 07:31:44 PM

Also yay for Orchards.

I put some screenshots in the original post this evening. I think they show off everything.  :)

Orchards will be awhile away. I think Igabod's Xtra Plants mod has orchard like stuff.

He's working on them last priority. I just mentioned to him how dumb it was that we grew entire trees worth of fruit only to have them need to be replanted over and over again with 10-15 day grow cycles.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Igabod

Quote from: Ramsis on January 14, 2015, 07:48:06 PM
Quote from: Winter Hermit on January 14, 2015, 07:31:44 PM

Also yay for Orchards.

He's working on them last priority. I just mentioned to him how dumb it was that we grew entire trees worth of fruit only to have them need to be replanted over and over again with 10-15 day grow cycles.

It's not my last priority, It's just the last on my short list of changes to be done within the next few updates. I still have lots of other things coming up after the orchards. That being said, I'm probably not going to get to the orchards until alpha 9 as I said previously on the first page of this thread.

Also, in the current version of that mod, you don't have to replant the trees after harvesting them. They just shrink down and start over on the growth process. There is no means for me to set it so that after they are harvested they go down to 50% growth or anything like that, and that would be unrealistic anyway. I see the time to maturity thing not as a meter of growing from seed to fruiting age. It's just a meter to let you know when the next harvest is coming up. Just like in real life you have to wait for more fruits to grow before you can harvest them again. Some can be harvested only once per year while others will produce fruits several times a year. That is represented in the different growth times. I personally like it that way and will be leaving the wild trees like that. I'm only planning on removing them from the growing zones and making a building which has a steady production and is subject to fewer environmental problems due to the fact that the colonists are caring for the plants the same way real farmers take care of their orchards.

Quote from: Igabod on January 13, 2015, 06:07:29 PM
Also, I took some inspiration from the orchard suggestion on this thread and decided to add it to my list of things to do in the next few updates for the Xtra Plants mod. That probably won't happen until alpha 9 though. And I'm going to see if I can get Skullywag to add in a bit of extra code to stop the production of the fruits at certain temperatures as well as at certain light levels. But like I said, this is probably not going to be done until after alpha 9 comes out. I may be able to get an early version of it out before then if my schedule permits me to work on the mod that much. But I can't promise anything.

henk

Can you, please, move raw water to separate food group? Because atm it's possible to craft simple meal with only 11 buckets of water and zero actual food, which is plain ridiculous.

ProtoTypeRaavyn

Quote from: Winter Hermit on January 14, 2015, 06:29:04 PM

You're welcome! I would recommend starting a new test colony to check that not using the coffee mod solves the solution. If it does, happy days! If not, then there maybe something else wrong.

To play your other colonies it should be a simple matter of changing the WorkGiver def file in the coffee mod to a different name. In the def file it'll say:

<WorkGiverDef>
    <defName>DoBillsCook</defName>
    <giverClass>WorkGiver_DoBill</giverClass>
    <workType>Cooking</workType>
    <priorityInType>500</priorityInType>
    <singleBillGiverDef>CoffeeMachine</singleBillGiverDef>
    <verb>cook</verb>
    <gerund>cooking</gerund>
    <requiredActivities>
      <li>Manipulation</li>
    </requiredActivities>
  </WorkGiverDef>

try changing <defName>DoBillsCook</defName> to <defName>DoBillsMakeCoffee</defName>

A new world works perfectly now. Thank you so much for all the time and effort you took to fix my problem. It really means a lot, considering most mod authors don't take the time to try and fix a flub a users has made with their mods. If this place had Kudos/points/rep I would be giving you as much as possible right now.

As A side note, Is there any way we can get the "Prioritize" option on the new stoves and worktops? Either like the Butchers table or A priority bar like with the storage Zones? I have like 5 people capable of making food, and only one is trying to do anything lol.

Winter Hermit

Quote from: henk on January 15, 2015, 01:28:29 PM
Can you, please, move raw water to separate food group? Because atm it's possible to craft simple meal with only 11 buckets of water and zero actual food, which is plain ridiculous.

I thought i had had sorted that problem, apparantly not! I'll look into it this evening when i get home form work.

Quote from: ProtoTypeRaavyn on January 15, 2015, 06:00:12 PM
A new world works perfectly now. Thank you so much for all the time and effort you took to fix my problem. It really means a lot, considering most mod authors don't take the time to try and fix a flub a users has made with their mods. If this place had Kudos/points/rep I would be giving you as much as possible right now.

As A side note, Is there any way we can get the "Prioritize" option on the new stoves and worktops? Either like the Butchers table or A priority bar like with the storage Zones? I have like 5 people capable of making food, and only one is trying to do anything lol.

I'm always happy to help. When it comes to prioritizing worktops like storage, i dont know how to do that. I do have another idea on how to prioritize tasks, i'll try it this evening.

popster99

I've found that this mod doesn't work with cybernetic storm the crafting bench for the water buckets overrides the crafting bench for cybernetic storm

elStrages

Quote from: popster99 on January 16, 2015, 11:23:16 AM
I've found that this mod doesn't work with cybernetic storm the crafting bench for the water buckets overrides the crafting bench for cybernetic storm
He took that from my water mod (so partly my fault) - the OP needs to rename the workbench and change the work giver to fix compatibility

Winter Hermit

update to v0.04.1 for bug fixes.

Quote from: henk on January 15, 2015, 01:28:29 PM

Which version of the mod are you using? The recipes for the meals no longer use raw food, but rather prepared foods. Water is no longer in the raw food category. Are you using other mods that may interfere with mine?

Quote from: ProtoTypeRaavyn on January 15, 2015, 06:00:12 PM

I've adjusted the type priorities for the cooking work givers. The colonist will prioritise the jobs higher up the production chain now. So if they have the stuff to make a meal, they'll make that before they make bread and prepared food, and they'll do those before they knead dough and grind flour, and those before collecting water and making buckets. (phew long sentence).

I'm not sure why your five guys aren't all cooking, but this is the close i can get to the storage priorities.

Quote from: popster99 on January 16, 2015, 11:23:16 AM

I've changed the name from Craftman'sWorkbench to WoodCraftingWorkBench. Hopefully that'll fix compatibility issues.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep it coming!

Winter Hermit

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about compatibility with other mods. One issue i can see is that i modify the recipe list of the cook stove. Therefore is anyone else adds or changes something of the old recipes for the meals, then our mods will not be compatible.

I was wondering if anyone had a nice solution or suggestion on how best to make the mod compatible with others. I could simply import others material into my mod, while giving credit of course. However, this doesn't feel right as i'd be removing the reason for people to download the other mod. Any thoughts?