[Question] What Mods Would You Recommend?

Started by Kane Hart, December 29, 2014, 05:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane Hart

Hello! I been having a lot of fun playing RimWorld without mods though I think it might be time for me to try some mods. I like to explain a bit about what I like and dislike and you can tell me where to go from there.

PLEASE NOTE this is not my review or take or hate on the game. We are all made different and there is nothing wrong with that :) This is just my own personal tastes.

Things I dislike:

• The crashed robot ship causing people to go insane overtime.
  • The sieges are fine if your mountains but if not it's beyond a pain to deal with them if you don't full out attack. I was playing a large map and this was a pain in the but.
  • Cable Short discharging the Batteries. I like Batteries to be in large numbers and I rather not have half or 90% of them off for emergency use only because then that makes it not fun storing them... Plus the next point also makes them not as fun.
  • Solar Flare killing all the electronics. I really really dislike this one. Makes you a 100% useless in certain ways.
  • Managing my colony for example want to check their weapons and armor and load them up I use the < and > keys or , and . and anyways the issue is it goes to each one.. I like that but also hate it when I want to equip each one with weapons or armor I gotta go back and forth to my stock.
  • Junk I like to have a way to deal with more junk mainly the slate stuff.. I think you can turn them into iron etc. But the amount you got and the work was never worth it to me.

Things I like a ton:

• Turrets! I love them I want more I rather kill with turrets and not my colony :)
  • Power! I love power I want to power more things I want to help protect my power grid better and I want better ways of managing batteries like not having the issue of them discharging on shorts etc.
  • Incinerating corpse would love to see like slate for that as well as other stuff.

I could go on I sound like an ass when I read this but it's just things I find annoying etc. I guess what I enjoy is waves of bad guys coming for me. I guess what I like is more tower defense and hold your base. If you do things right you could probably afk and not worry. I guess I like machines, new buildings, etc to be able to do more the operations for me and let the colony do their own things a bit more.

I sound like some Factorio freak or something and I do apologize :)

Shinzy

EDB Interface is pretty good for managing your colonists
you get the individual colonist icons on top of the screen (it's optional ofcourse!)
you can click on the person to select them, it's bit easier than scrolling through them all with the , and . Also just the immediate visual feedback on what they're wearing helps a ton! "That person is mooning all over the plaaace! get some parka!"

aaand I'd check any defence related mods if you like just sitting around =P
Enhanced Defence
and the Turret Mods
Also keep an eye out for the Mechanical Walls mod, It's not in Alpha8 yet but
it lets you build some reaaaal unfair secret routes for your guys to move through
while not in battle

you can't quite outsource yourself entirely but if you want to multitask and do your wizard chores on the laptop at the same time
Edit: Or play two different colonies the same time and see which one fares better ;D

Igabod

These are the mods I recommend to you based upon your statements. Click the title of each one to be brought to a thread for the mod.

1. EdB's Interface UI Mod
2. Less Incident Trolling
3. Project Armory
4. RTG's (Power Source)
5. Enhanced Defense: Phoenix Edition

Those are my top 5 recommendations. The UI mod adds little icons of your colonists to the top of the screen so you can click on the one you want to equip instead of having to cycle through all of them to find the one you want. Less Incident Trolling reduces the chances of most of the things in your dislike list happening. Project Armory adds lots of weapons to the game. RTG's adds a new electrical generator that relies on Uranium. And Enhanced Defense adds a bunch of neat features to help you better survive huge attacks, such as a personal shield and a base shield. It also includes laser drills to create new steam geysers so you can put down more geothermal generators as well as some new turrets and a whole slew of other neat little features that you may or may not end up using.

[shameless_plug]
As a personal recommendation based purely on the fact that I created them, I also recommend the following mods:

1. Advanced Lamps
2. Fast Floors
3. Temperature Control
4. Xtra Plants

Advanced lamps adds new standing lamps with nicer (imho) textures than the vanilla lamp and lower energy consumption as well as wall lamps and outdoor lamps that light up huge areas. Fast floors just changes the default floors so that some provide a bonus to movement speed. Temperature Control adds new heaters and coolers of varying sizes as well as heated floors which don't take up a building spot so you can build tables or beds or whatever on top of them if you want. And Xtra Plants adds a ton of new trees and flowers which provides several new sources of food. It also has a wine production line now too.
[/shameless_plug]

Finally, if you still aren't satisfied with those recommendations, you can always look at the Unofficial Alpha 8 Mods List which has all of them listed with a short description of what they do.

eatKenny

Quote from: Kane Hart on December 29, 2014, 05:38:26 AM

Things I like a ton:

• Turrets! I love them I want more I rather kill with turrets and not my colony :)
  • Power! I love power I want to power more things I want to help protect my power grid better and I want better ways of managing batteries like not having the issue of them discharging on shorts etc.
  • Incinerating corpse would love to see like slate for that as well as other stuff.

<shamelessLvl 99>

check out my mods:
</shamelessLvl 99>

Kane Hart

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. So many wonderful mods. The less trolling mod was interesting. I took it apart and I think I'm going make my own mini version and just remove a couple the annoying things mainly the flair and the short circuit.