Personal shields?

Started by durann31, December 29, 2014, 01:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

durann31

Quote from: Tynan on December 29, 2014, 03:02:04 PM
Well, the idea is to raise the viability of melee weapons.

The basic way the shields work is that you can't shoot in or out. So you'd use one if you were a melee fighter.
So like how police carry shields and batons???
They do take damage and lose energy. If they take enough damage they'll pop and take a while to reset. You can also still be shot by people who are in adjacent cells (melee range).

So something similar to police with shields and batons?… if so 10/10 if not.. then still 10/10

StorymasterQ

So, like Goa'uld personal shields?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

dakenho

I think shields should require a recharge bay or at-least batteries
also does this mean we will see base shields?

Shinzy

I want the kind of nintendo bullet deflecting shields
the kind the ping them off to different direction and might hit someone else =P

ShootyFace

Oh man, finally! I have managed to find use for melee, but this will make brawlers a lot more attractive. This is *almost* as good as a personal cloaking device (modders!).
"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning

Haplo

Hmm, I already see the death of my next alpha colony:
A melee pirate group lands nearby and storms the colony. As my colonists and the turrets are mostly gunners they try but fail to destroy their shields in time. A short while later every one with a gun is fighting close range and failing horribly. Soon after the colony is only a burning ruin..
So I present to you the next arch enemy: space brawlers with personal shields ;)

keylocke

all of my gunners have power claws or scyther blades, while most of melee raiders usually just carry shivs. so as usual, i'll probably just force melee attack them one at a time as they trickle towards my ranks.

meanwhile, sending a couple of melee units with shields against AI snipers for distraction is gonna be sweet.

ShootyFace

Way to pee on the parade, Haplo. :/ Didn't even consider the fact raiders would have them, too.
"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning

Nasikabatrachus

Personal shields are necessary because the future has yet to invent workable shoulder or leg armor.

Tynan

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on December 30, 2014, 08:47:43 PM
Personal shields are necessary because the future has yet to invent workable shoulder or leg armor.

It's a technical impossibility!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Noobshock

Quote from: Haplo on December 30, 2014, 05:05:34 PM
Hmm, I already see the death of my next alpha colony:
A melee pirate group lands nearby and storms the colony. As my colonists and the turrets are mostly gunners they try but fail to destroy their shields in time. A short while later every one with a gun is fighting close range and failing horribly. Soon after the colony is only a burning ruin..
So I present to you the next arch enemy: space brawlers with personal shields ;)

we are sooo going to need new types of defenses

mumblemumble

the shields can pop, so its not impossible to kill them, just hard. And point blank bullets pass through so shotguns would actually be extremely viable for them, if you had friends. Infact it could get a little left4dead-ish with keeping each others backs with the colonists, keeping tight for melee attackers and shooting a melee person in the back of the head when hes about to crack your buddies skull in. The possibilities.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Siberianhamster

Quote from: rbos on December 29, 2014, 03:56:49 PM
I anticipate that this will be useful to make it through sniper fire to a position. So EMP grenadiers and shotgunners can make their range.

I think the idea is the shield removes the choice of a ranged weapon. Otherwise you could just make an inpenetrable wall of shielded m-24s or m-16s.

tommonius

huzzah! cyber samurai for everyone, I have been making melee weapons and spending all my hard earned blood money on power armour and had a crack team of high level melee fighters. even with armour I did struggle to get them into stabbing range, but now like a light from the heavens Tynan granted my psychotic colonists a mighty boon.

Praise Lord Tynan ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

wdnz

Reminds me of the Goa'uld personal shield from Stargate SG-1.

Pretty neat!