Option for colonists to automatically change clothing/equipment

Started by Professor Cupcake, December 29, 2014, 04:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Cupcake

So micro-managing a colonist's equipment makes sense from a military perspective, but having to manually tell everyone to put on warm clothing in the winter and vice-versa is just a complete hassle, especially once you get a decent amount of them.

My suggestion is to add an option to each colonist to allow them to automatically change their clothing to suit their needs. Obviously, this would need to be an option so that colonists with specific gear do not drop it and ruin your loadouts.

As a secondary suggestion to add to this, it might also be a good idea to have an ownership system of some sort, where you can assign equipment to colonists. For example, if I were to assign someone a rifle, they would automatically take the rifle and try their best to hold on to it, automatically going back to pick it up again should they ever drop it. This could be extended further by allowing the colonists to store things in their rooms or beside their beds. Again, this could go further than this by giving colonists set loadouts that they will automatically switch between as and when certain conditions are met, but now I am perhaps overcomplicating things.

BinaryBlackhole

good idea that would mean I could tell my colonists to remove their power armor but i wouldn't have to tell them to put their parker's back on.

Kaaven

A possibly good idea would be to allow binding the items not with a person, but with a room. So a room could have a closet/chest for clothing and any user of that room would be allowed to pick up/store items if he needs them (dude is cold - he grabs a parka from his room, he is too hot, he drops it back).

When initially built, the closet would have a list of possible clothes types to be allowed/disallowed (basically serving as a small storage zone for clothing) and a set number of those on the permitted list would be brought by the builders. Then all the people with a bed in that room could be able to pick up clothes as needed.

windruf

Asero

Most definitely would like that! Assign clothing according to the weather or season might also be prudent.

Maybe even like the wardrobe idea in The Sims  ;D

llunauk

I was caught up in this micromanagement earlier.  I think the colonists need lockers in their room and each morning they should check it when they get dressed, or keep it with 'set' items/equipment in it.  Take certain items from it if they are cold or put items in it if they are hot.  If they lose an item another colonist would come along and put it in their locker.  :D