"Drop and haul"/"drop in stockpile" option

Started by Professor Cupcake, December 29, 2014, 04:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Cupcake

This is a fairly simple suggestion.
Currently, if you want a colonist to drop something into a stockpile (assuming they are not at the stockpile), you have to first have them drop the item, then select it and un-forbid it, then select the colonist to order them to haul it (if they even can haul things). Alternatively, you must draft them, order them to the stockpile, have them drop the item, undraft them, then un-forbid the item.

Such a simple thing shouldn't really be such a hassle. My suggestion is to add an extra option when dropping items, which will cause the colonist to find the correct stockpile for the item and drop it there.

Geertje123

Not sure what you mean? You can assign certain stockpiles to only have certain objects allowed. Your colonist with automatically haul stuff to it.

Professor Cupcake

That's not the request here.

I mean when a colonist has an item equipped and they drop it, it's just dropped where they stand, and is annoyingly set to forbidden as well.
The suggestion is to have an option when dropping to make them go to a stockpile and drop it there, to save it being left in the open for someone else to grab (and save me having to manually un-forbid it).

It's a small thing, but small things become bigger problems when it's a task that's repeated often.

Shinzy

Professor Cupcake

StorymasterQ

Also with about a third of the 'o' in Drooop.

So, would it be like 'dropping' the equipped items to their 'carry' hands so that they automatically bring it to the nearest appropriate stockpile?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Anduin1357

Was'nt equipped weapons that were dropped not forbidden?
I remember de-equipping an entire squad with haul enabled and they all sent their guns to the pile.
Or maybe it's because the importance of the pile was critical...

When I first saw the subject of this thread, I was thinking: "Drafted Colonists having forced hauling? YAY!" ??? :-\

Professor Cupcake

Quote from: StorymasterQ on January 04, 2015, 10:40:19 PM
So, would it be like 'dropping' the equipped items to their 'carry' hands so that they automatically bring it to the nearest appropriate stockpile?

Exactly.
Best explanation of it so far.

National7

Not really see that this is neccesary.
Most of the time I play RimWorld I hit the spacebar at critical moments. Just to give myself extra time without having to worry about raids while I'm micro'ing all that little stuff like hauling gold, weapons, silver, food, equipment, etc.
Steam: National7

Anduin1357

This should be considered an optimisation if for whatever reason, pausing is impossible.

Professor Cupcake

Quote from: National7 on January 05, 2015, 04:20:12 PM
Not really see that this is neccesary.
Most of the time I play RimWorld I hit the spacebar at critical moments. Just to give myself extra time without having to worry about raids while I'm micro'ing all that little stuff like hauling gold, weapons, silver, food, equipment, etc.

It's a little issue which, through many repetitions, works its way up to being a major gripe for me.
It's not because of raids or losing in-game time or anything. It's just that I feel like there is an unnecessary amount of hassle for what should be a simple task.