Dynamic Map Resizing

Started by Zilch, December 30, 2014, 01:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zilch

Long life colonies quickly eat up map resources, even very large maps.

Some form of ability to 'scan' for new nearby area, most likely at a very inflated cost.

No idea what would go into adding area to an already generated play-area, or whether RimWorld can even support that.
:D

Geertje123

I would probably need a lot of rewriting of the code.

I like this idea, and I think the way Minecraft does it is maybe a good idea

peterTX

There's always the Prison Architect style.

Research "Satellite Mapping" and Expand the map on one side.

When activated auto-save the game, generate new terrain and write it to the save file and reload the save.
This is what PA does.
I'm am Ex-Starship pilot, but that RimWorld just jumped out of nowhere, there was nothing I could do.
At lease three of us survived.

Youtube Channel | Gaming

Argon

Quote from: peterTX on December 30, 2014, 05:26:42 PM
There's always the Prison Architect style.

Research "Satellite Mapping" and Expand the map on one side.

When activated auto-save the game, generate new terrain and write it to the save file and reload the save.
This is what PA does.

A good idea, but a 1.5 times ludeonicrous size map could cause unacceptable lag for all but the most powerful computers.

-Argon

Chibiabos

Alternatively, how about being able to raid other colonies, or build an airport (or maybe even a spaceport) to link to your other colonies and xfer resources back and forth?

Any case would require extra programming.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

peterTX

True, but if you start with a small map then you could expand it slowly, and if you have lag you won't want to expand again as it would cause more lag.
I'm am Ex-Starship pilot, but that RimWorld just jumped out of nowhere, there was nothing I could do.
At lease three of us survived.

Youtube Channel | Gaming

Zilch

Could even add a way to 'drop' map area, after all the goodies have been mined out, or if you do get lag.

UnassumingWhiteGuy

What about constructing deep mine shafts? You could program some way to scan for deposits and then build shafts on areas that get a positive reading. Or you could place deep veins of steel or something around the map and have them function like geothermal wells, having to research deep mining to be able to exploit them. The downside being that they take forever to construct, the colonists using them are occupied for the whole day, and, upon their exit, emerge with injuries depending on their mining skill level.

Or, maybe, instead of emerging with injuries, the colonist emerges exhausted? And, depending on mining skill, he or she could get trapped and require rescue, which occupies another colonist for the whole day? The colonists needing rescue could also emerge injured.

llunauk

(I almost posted this as a new thread but it seems to fit into here... )

I like the idea of adding these options...

Escape.  Where you have the option to take your colonists/skills and research and run off the map, leaving everything behind in a mass panic to start again on a random/new map.  Could be a good option if your playing on a very rough level and your being over-whelmed.

Raid.  I often get itchy for a fight and I would like to get off my map for a while and perhaps attack a raiders camp, or find some new resources to collect before returning home in a one off random 'away mission'.  These maps don't need to be very big!

Fly Off.  Build the ship, fly off and then have to land on a new map with your colonists.  But this time you have to find a fuel resource so we can refuel the ship and fly off again, or stay a while and start a new home!  Of course with the newly built ship being in your possession it would make for a pretty tasty target to be destroyed by raiders or claimed by them!

I don't think this is to much of a coding challenge because most of these systems are already in place.