[Question] Difficulty of modding rimworld for first-time modder

Started by TheZofDeath, December 30, 2014, 04:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheZofDeath

Hey guys, I've had a couple of ideas for a mod that I wanna have a crack at making. For now I'm only going to start (hopefully) relatively simple (just adding a couple of creatures and seeing how that goes), but I was wondering, for a total noob in the ways of modding how difficult of a starting point is rimworld? And is rimworld modding difficult in general?
I don't mean like complete overhauls adding new game mechanics and such, but just adding new things within existing mechanics.
Finaly, other than the tutorials on the wiki, are there any other lesser known resources that I could make use of?
Thanks
-TheZofDeath

Berengar

Jap, ALL the other mods. :D
Best way to learn rimworld modding.. and beside that.. mutch coffe and good nervs. :)
Here when you want to create new animals, that one is maybe good for you.^^
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3060.0

carlgraves

Tynan did a great job making the code-base easy to look at and extend off of. If you have no scripting/coding experience you will probably have a pretty hard time getting started. If you're familiar with c# coding in particular it's really easy to get up and running.

Unfortunately, If you want to create new creatures with any sort of unique behaviours that will require at least some coding experience. However, you can just take a look at some of the other mods people have created to get an idea of how things are structured and setup.

Adding simple variations of structures/player-built stuff is really easy to create and can almost be done completely with just notepad and paint. New animals and features will require a .dll change and will require a little bit of coding knowledge and some familiarity with monodevelop or visual studio.

I would recommend not starting with a creature mod, perhap look at a crafting or weapon mod first.

Stannis

If I could piggy back on that: how much effort is needed to keep mods up-to-date for the different alpha releases? And what does it entail?

Anduin1357

It's easy enough to think up of an easy mod, its harder to make a mod that makes THE difference.