Where is the detailed Psychology info?

Started by Nibiru1221, January 01, 2015, 03:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nibiru1221

I have a question regarding something that's pictured on the main 'rimworldgame.com' page towards the bottom where there's a section referred to as "Psychology" and shows a screenshot of a much more detailed <Thoughts> tab for a colonist named, "Sheckley the miner" than my game has. I have (ver. 0.8.652).

Is this more detailed information in the game now and I don't know where to find it or its one of the upcoming features?

Thanks.

Goo Poni

It's just the Thoughts tab. A few alphas ago (build 250 or something like that), when I bought the game and started playing, the Thoughts tab had Fear, Loyalty and one other thing that I forget. Loyalty was hidden from view (though is still in play, just read the message when you try to convert a newly captured prisoner, loyalty too low), Fear and the other one was rolled into Mood. Fear and the other one, happiness I'll just call it, dictated how loyal your colonist was to the colony by whichever meter was higher. Running a mountainside colony in the darkness with full gibbet cages and other such things replacing more typical decor like lights or plant pots meant you could force colonists to stay for fear of what might happen if they left. It was a notably easier way to play, seeing as at the time, making colonists happy was a royal pain in the arse and they were borderline depressed and about ready to leave at the drop of hat. Not when scared half to death though!

Nibiru1221

Okay.. that pretty much answers my question. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I should probably make a new post now to ask what I was really looking for in hoping the more detailed <thoughts> tab would maybe give personal but historical information for each colonist, but I'll just ask here since you might could give me a simple answer to it.

I've read that Rimworld is among many things an attempt to make a Dwarf Fortress type clone. Not really a 'clone'.. but I think it was said that DF was a big inspiration for Rimworld and so with that in mind I'm hoping that the similarity between Rimworld and DF doesn't end with them both just being people management type games, but also I'm curious if Rimworld has plans to include similar type stories to the events that happen to the colonists like the ridiculously hilarious stories that could be read about all the crazy and funny things that happened to the dwarves in all the various circumstances that happened to them.

An example would be something along the lines of how trolls snuck in and killed a bunch of dwarves and thus created several large pools of blood which other dwarves later ran in and slipped in which then caused them to skewer themselves on the dropped weapons and then other dwarves came to try and rescue the wounded dwarves that slipped in the blood and some of those dwarves got sick and puked all over the floor then others ran in and slipped in the puke and also fell on the weapons, etc, etc, etc... just silly things that happened that we could read all about and the stories were so often outrageous but also very funny and just added to the immersion of playing.

Perhaps my confusion is based on how Rimworld has the various Story Tellers, yet I haven't seen any actual stories except to understand the Story Tellers create different type events for the colonists to deal with but is that all? Or is there plans to document detailed stories for all the events that have happened?

Goo Poni

The Story Teller is more like the AI Director of Left4Dead, influencing how your game is going to play out by what's happening at the moment. They will put events in motion and from that, you as the player, can piece together your own story. Just check out Dsylexci's video of how one can make a tale out of the trials and tribulations of a colony. Tech Tree Minami, an extensive though currently outdated mod, tries to help with the storytelling side of things, adding miscellaneous "events" that have some to no impact on gameplay, ranging from colonists stumbling across a cache of resources that could be plundered at the risk of their demise, an upset tummy leading to vomiting and the need to lie down, prisoners being pricks and rioting or bad mouthing the colony in general or colonists bursting into tears and needing the comfort of others. Granted, these events can be quite janky, especially when a colonist in the middle of their second dream of the night suddenly asks to sneak into a nearby raider camp and steal some weapons which can be all over and done with while they're still asleep or lead to them being knocked out of bed with a flurry of injuries caused by their failed raiding attempt, but it's better than "The moon has orbited into a position above the sun for like the 10th time this month, an eclipse has begun" or nothing at all. It adds a little bit of flavour.

Maybe Tynan has plans for such miscellaneous events of his own to be implemented at some point or another, but until such a time, it's up to you to give life to the walking conglomerates of statistics that are your colonists.

Nibiru1221

Quote from: Goo Poni on January 01, 2015, 03:08:21 PM
Maybe Tynan has plans for such miscellaneous events of his own to be implemented at some point or another, but until such a time, it's up to you to give life to the walking conglomerates of statistics that are your colonists.

I chopped most of what you said just to keep length down but wanted to refer to you directly (even though we're the only 2 people talking here.. hehe), but I wanted to say I wish everyone answered questions like you do. I love long answers assuming whatever answer to whatever question can be told in lots of non boring words... ha

Just wanted to reply and say I think the data that would be needed for a program or mod or whatever to create written stories to the events that happen to the colonists is currently being stored in Rimworld. The information that can be viewed in the historical data is what would be needed to retell a story to what happened yet I know nothing about programming or how easy or hard it would be to make the game write its own story based on every single event to every single colonist and every single day and night.. Jeez.. The amount of detail that would be... that one file would be huge.. Anyway.. Thanks again for your answers.