The beauty of Art

Started by Lochar, December 30, 2014, 06:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochar

Am I missing something or is art purely for resale now? I am getting high beauty off them but no matter where I install them, I cant see any positive effects for them?

I know some rooms will get a good environment or some such trait, but cant seem to find the trigger. I do plants and art but still cant boost some rooms.

Geertje123

I have 3  level 19 artists making art around the clock to sell. It's a good income if they are a high level.

Art gives a beauty bones, and it varies on what type of art. Gold legendary gives around 7500+ beauty. I have at least one steel legendary art in every room, giving 1000+ beauty.

It gives the colonists the +5, +10 or +15 environment bonus :)

Lochar

Is there a wiki spot or link to the beauty breakdown? I have 1 hitting legendary stuff ever other shot, but so far haven't seen any mood changes, will try messing with the 1000+ pieces and see. Thanks

Chibiabos

I wonder if uranium ore or items (art, weapons, etc.) should carry with it a risk of cancer, given its radioactivity?
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Shinzy

Quote from: Chibiabos on December 31, 2014, 05:00:04 AM
I wonder if uranium ore or items (art, weapons, etc.) should carry with it a risk of cancer, given its radioactivity?
Ooh all those whiners "Uuuugh! that piece of junk you call 'art' literally gives me cancer!" =P
love it!

Geertje123

Quote from: Lochar on December 30, 2014, 11:48:33 PM
Is there a wiki spot or link to the beauty breakdown? I have 1 hitting legendary stuff ever other shot, but so far haven't seen any mood changes, will try messing with the 1000+ pieces and see. Thanks

You need to install them into a room before they take effect.

The mood effect has a delay, so it means they have to be in the room for at least a second or two before the mood effect kicks in (important to remind! The mood bonus does not help if they are sleeping!)
Then you'll see something like: +15 beautiful enviroment
You need like +2500 or +5000 beauty points to get the +15 mood bonus

milon

Speaking of which, I've seen random visitors show up (Ice Sheet biome) who had the +15 beautiful environment modifier.  I guess ice is a REALLY beautiful floor?  Or maybe it's the snow?

EscapeZeppelin

That would be fantastic if uranium art gave off heat but caused illness. Your statue is lovely and all but it's causing their eyes to melt.

On a related note, do blind colonists get the bonus from art?

milon

Ooh, good question.  I don't know if vision affects that or not, but I think vision should be a factor in all the how-my-environment-looks (de)buffs.

Spoonikle

lol, no. the decay of uranium is weak and is easily absorbed by the dead skin on your body or the clothes you wear. The only danger uranium poses to you is if you ingest it or inhale it ( say you were cutting it with a hacksaw and tiny particles of uranium dust were introduced to the air)

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Spoonikle on December 31, 2014, 03:59:09 PM

lol, no. the decay of uranium is weak and is easily absorbed by the dead skin on your body or the clothes you wear. The only danger uranium poses to you is if you ingest it or inhale it ( say you were cutting it with a hacksaw and tiny particles of uranium dust were introduced to the air)

So, when you're making art with it?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Electric Bugalú Dale

I'm still awaiting to make art out of the bones of my enemies ....

That's normal ....

Right? ....

RIGHT?!?! :o

Utherix

Quote from: milon on December 31, 2014, 11:29:49 AM
Speaking of which, I've seen random visitors show up (Ice Sheet biome) who had the +15 beautiful environment modifier.  I guess ice is a REALLY beautiful floor?  Or maybe it's the snow?

Yep

<TerrainDef>
    <defName>MinO_Ice</defName>
    <label>Ice</label>
    <graphicPath>Terrain/Surfaces/Ice</graphicPath>
    <EdgeType>FadeRough</EdgeType>
    <RenderPrecedence>350</RenderPrecedence>
    <PathCost>12</PathCost>
    <statBases>
      <Beauty>8</Beauty>
    </statBases>
    <ScatterType>SoftDry</ScatterType>
    <affordances>
      <li>Light</li>
     <li>Heavy</li>
      <li>Diggable</li>
    </affordances>
    <TerrainFilthDef>FilthDirt</TerrainFilthDef>
    <Fertility>0.00</Fertility>
    <TakeFootprints>True</TakeFootprints>
  </TerrainDef>

In comparison, most other terrain has 0 (soils) or -5 to -15 beauty (gravel,mud,marsh)

milon

Cool.  Glad I left the ice flooring in the bedrooms then!  :D