HVAC Layout Examples

Started by amul, December 30, 2014, 06:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amul

Show me your new base designs incorporating heating/cooling considerations!

Here's mine:

I'm funneling all my waste heat into the hallway that opens into my grow zones. I think in future variations I will probably put in an "airlock" between the trade beacon/stockpile/entrance and the grow zones, and put the heating corridor "deeper" into my base. I've been fiddling with these designs to the point that I have yet to actually go through my first winter because I keep restarting to try a new layout.

I'm also paying more attention to room designs for spaciousness. It seems like you have to place the beds such that the colonist's head is close to the center of the room. But if you do that, then a 6x6 room can hold a bed and a production table of some kind and still be "spacious."

Geertje123

This pic probably wont fit on the page because it's too large, but whatever.

Every room has at least one heater and cooler, to always keep a steady temperature. The air gets directed via airducts outside.

All colonists have a 5x5 room with legendary steel art, a plant, a royal bed, a light and a wooden floor.

at the bottom is the vault for the silver if I have too much. And on the other side are body parts stored.

The freezer is where dead animals and food is stored and cooked.

In the centre I have a storage for general goods.

The outside floor is wood against fire and lightning.

Innese

Its still a bit of a WIP (In that the colonists still live in a small barracks together) but this is the setup of my current colony :)

Geertje123

Quote from: Innese on December 30, 2014, 10:04:29 PM
Its still a bit of a WIP (In that the colonists still live in a small barracks together) but this is the setup of my current colony :)

Fully loaded batteries, don't you think that's dangerous? I have no batteries because they always caused explosions and caused my bases to burn down

EscapeZeppelin

I've actually started building fewer doors now that temperature is a thing. That way I can put all of the ac units or heaters in one small spot and have them maintain the temperature of the whole base that way. A series of two very small airlocks seems to work great in keeping the cold out even when it's -50 F.

Innese

Quote from: Geertje123 on December 31, 2014, 06:51:21 AM
Quote from: Innese on December 30, 2014, 10:04:29 PM

Fully loaded batteries, don't you think that's dangerous? I have no batteries because they always caused explosions and caused my bases to burn down

So far I haven't had a single explosion, so I might just be lucky :)

milon

Quote from: EscapeZeppelin on December 31, 2014, 09:13:58 AM
I've actually started building fewer doors now that temperature is a thing. That way I can put all of the ac units or heaters in one small spot and have them maintain the temperature of the whole base that way. A series of two very small airlocks seems to work great in keeping the cold out even when it's -50 F.

That sounds like it'll cause the 'sharing a room' debuff.  I suggest using doors for sleeping quarters, and prop the door open with something.  I like to use pants and shirts that I strip from dead raiders - no speed loss for my colonists, but it keeps the doors open which lets the temperature (mostly) normalize.

Spoonikle

I use a simple tunnel leading to a chimney on the exterior of my base, with some access doors located all around.

in case of a fire ( super rare ) i would just deconstruct a door and expose the inside to the outdoors to prevent heatstroke killing the fire stomping buffoons.

To anyone afraid of batteries its a simple thing. Short outs happen to all electrical devices, but in a battery room you have the largest concentration of things that could trigger a short out event all in 1 spot so its very likely an event will happen to a battery or near it causing sudden Michael Bay syndrome. To completely eliminate any issues with batteries simply use them everywhere far apart. Any fault or explosion is likely to be small and inside a conduit or something not a battery.

nuschler22

There's a mod that has a room fan in it which is pretty handy.

Geertje123

Quote from: Spoonikle on December 31, 2014, 03:37:19 PMShort outs happen to all electrical devices

This is false. They only happen if you have a battery somewhere. I reached year 11 and haven't ever had a shortcut. The only time I got it was in the beginning of year one when I used solar panels and batteries

milon

I've had shorts without having ever built a single battery.  That was an alpha or two ago - I don't use batteries much, so no recent experience.  But definitely had a conduit wall explode when my only power was geothermal.

mrofa

Well i dont need a cooling since every colonist get hypothermia atleast once a day  :D
But i need to make special airlocks so temp inside dont get to low since each time colonist open a door its around instant -20 to current degree in that room.
And that kinda sux when you get a solarflare :D
All i do is clutter all around.

Geertje123

Quote from: milon on January 01, 2015, 05:02:06 PM
I've had shorts without having ever built a single battery.  That was an alpha or two ago - I don't use batteries much, so no recent experience.  But definitely had a conduit wall explode when my only power was geothermal.

Oh, weird. I must be lucky then :p

amul

Short circuits seem to be a condition of either weather exposure or power draw on the battery. Not sure about the second one though.

siliconaut

Shortouts ONLY occur when at least a single battery is connected to a power circuit. You can have tons of charged batteries lying around; as long as none is connected to any power cord, you are safe. This applies to both alpha 7 & 8.

A common tactic is to have a room with reserve batteries, fully charge them and then deconstruct a single piece of power cord connecting them to the main circuit. That way, accidental explosions are practically unheard of and - in the event some raid leaves your power production capabilities limited - you can simply reconnect the one power cord and continue to function for a while until your base has other power sources available.

IMO, this behaviour is nonsensical - I currently have three geothermal and ten wind-powered sources and no batteries at all. The power coursing through my circuit is huge - but no chance of explosion whatsoever. Connect a SINGLE battery and see what happens. Also, if batteries are the source of said explosions, why don't the batteries explode but a random piece of wiring? It makes no sense! :o