Scavenging animals.

Started by ns9559, December 30, 2014, 07:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ns9559

How about some more aggressive scavenger animals. Jackals would pass through the area and be attracted to things like exposed corpses. This would make leaving corpses unburied outside of your base (say in a garbage dump as some players are know to do), a bit more of a problem. The jackals would of course eat the dead bodies but then would likely stay in the area digging out a den for themselves, and if it gets hungry it would likely go after other animals first, but then again... well it already has a taste for human meat so it may attack one of your colonists who is out on their own without warning, or it might go off digging up unattended graves, causing problems for your colonists morale. Another problem would be rodents of all kinds. Rats burrowing into your freezer, mice building a nest in your walls, all of them stealing your food, and spreading disease. It would be interesting too if rabbits would tunnel around the map or dig out a hole under your wall so they could steal some crops and make a run for it. Some other ideas would be bears and large cats.

Noobshock

I like the idea of trash attracting unwanted fauna.

amul

me too! I like the idea of more complex animal AI behavior in general!

TheClassiness

It would definitely be interesting, just the animals interacting with each other and with the colony would be awesome. Animals eating each other, territorial animals like moose and wolves, and infestations are all interesting problems to deal with. Although there might have to be some changes to the Colonist AI, like a "No Walk Zone" so people aren't thrusting themselves into a wolf den.

rizay

Yeah this would be a very interessting idea! Another reason to hunt for animals. Because they try to frequently steal your stocked food (Including colonist). Animals fighting each other. Predators eating corpses.

amul

The notion of animal dens is also quite appealing.

Noobshock

a nice fleshing out of animals (husbandry, aggressive animals causing disruption, animal dens sounds cool too) could probably occupy a whole new alpha release at some point

Eleazar

Yeah, in general, I'd like to see animals interact with pawns and the world rather than just milling around waiting to be hunted or go berserk.

It wouldn't even require new creatures-- boar and monkeys for instance would eat meat laying aroud.  The herbivores could eat crops.  I like the idea of digging up graves-- boars would probably do that too.

And if you had a food requirement for animal survival, and had them reproduce once they had stored enough extra food, then you would have the basics of ranching.

Animals that are attacked should flee or attack in turn.

Last night a herd of muffallo wandered into my base then into the middle of a battle.  Which would be an interesting story, except they mindlessly just stood there.

DarknessEyes

Add wolfs... i have 20 human dead bodies near my base to feed them!
De Surgeries
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18976.0
Adds 26 new surgeries to Rimworld.