Temperatures underground too high

Started by Kaaven, December 31, 2014, 01:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaaven

So, I've been playing a fresh game on mountainous arid map and, obviously, decided to borrow in. It was hot admiringly, very hot as a matter of fact - about 40 degrees Celsius. But then, my miners started having mental breaks and health problems immediately after entering my tunnels.

That's when I realized their problem - it was 124 degrees C inside! It was over 3 times cooler outside, in full sun, during the heat wave.

Pretty sure it is not intended to be like that, something made that inside temperature rise to those ludicrous levels.

Had no heaters/coolers installed yet, barely started mining first few rooms. And no mods/additions, vanilla game.

XxMSWShadowxX

Maybe your digging into a volcano? xD joking aside i think the tunnels are being heated up from the outside air and maybe underground/hidden geysers? just a thought i haven't dealt with this myself.
Virtus, honor, victoria, qualis fides magnatorum effodit.

Chibiabos

Did you have a Geothermal vent in there?  Those generate MASSIVE amounts of heat (with or without a generator built over one), as would any sort of indoor fire.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Kaaven

I had a geo generator in there, yes. I would get the open geyser doing that, but a one already built over? Up to over 120oC? That is like, eye-fluid-boiling-point hot... If it is that hot, the guy building that generator should be boiled dead, with his skin coming clean off of him.

Worrall

This game allows people to take large amount of heat for small periods of time. I once had someone walk into a room at over 400oC, stay in that room for long enough to build a generator and walked it off after a day in bed.

Kaaven

@Worrall
That is the essence of my issue report - the game generates ridiculous levels of temperature right now, without going anywhere with it. The very fact that you can get to the 400oC - that is a temperature where plastics melt and clothing self-combusts. Either the algorithm should be more light-handed with those temps, or the effects need to be more severe.

Chibiabos

Doesn't matter if you build a geo generator over a geyser or not, that's a massive source of heat.  Never have a geyser (whether you put the geo generator or not) in a room without a/c, unless you make it into a huge room.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!