Brain Damage

Started by durann31, December 31, 2014, 02:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

durann31

so somone was shot in the head… is this possible to fix.?????

[attachment deleted due to age]

Innese

I believe this can be fixed by implanting an AI core

Tynan

No, brain damage is irreparable (without mods).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

durann31

lol i put here in a pod so if there is a complete EMERGENCY (all people are killed) then she will be my only hope…. and will there be a way to fix brain damage in the future???

Tynan

Probably not. If everything's fixable, nothing's tragic.

Noobshock

Quote from: Tynan on December 31, 2014, 03:38:01 PM

Would be nice if there were "unfixable" things that weren't necessarily as dramatic as brain damage (I guess that's what scars are?), since that one affects almost every aspect of the pawn and tends to incapacitate them in a pretty definitive manner.

mega

Personally, I dont think brain damage should impact movement speed.

Tynan

Quote from: Noobshock on December 31, 2014, 03:48:57 PM

Would be nice if there were "unfixable" things that weren't necessarily as dramatic as brain damage (I guess that's what scars are?), since that one affects almost every aspect of the pawn and tends to incapacitate them in a pretty definitive manner.

But why do you want less drama in your game? Drama is the whole point.

christhekiller

To be fair. It is brain damage. You're either going to unlock magical new super abilities or be permanently and completely incapacitated for ever.

Personally, if a colonist gets some brain damage I'll just euthanize them, and give them a proper burial. If it's a raider I'll just execute them in the field (or bring them in and harvest organs) and burn the remains.

hopdevil

No matter what challenge it is there should be a counter strategy to stop or fix it.   If you can't fix brain damage there should be a way to prevent it.  Tragedy and drama is fun... but playing for 6 hours and having one unlucky shot turn your only good doctor into "Full Retard" is NOT fun.

Shinzy

Quote from: hopdevil on December 31, 2014, 05:07:01 PM
No matter what challenge it is there should be a counter strategy to stop or fix it.   If you can't fix brain damage there should be a way to prevent it.  Tragedy and drama is fun... but playing for 6 hours and having one unlucky shot turn your only good doctor into "Full Retard" is NOT fun.

youuuu don't put your best doctor on the front line to get shot at =P

peterTX

You should be able to fix brain damage with a AI core, but there should be some random trait changes to off-set the fix.

I.E. Your amazing Warden/Doctor can no longer do medicine and is now abrasive
I'm am Ex-Starship pilot, but that RimWorld just jumped out of nowhere, there was nothing I could do.
At lease three of us survived.

Youtube Channel | Gaming

Valdemar FIN

Quote from: hopdevil on December 31, 2014, 05:07:01 PM

Like Tynan said, Rimworld is primarily a drama generator, not build-perfect-fortress-simulator. Think your problem from a TV drama perspective - your greatest doctor is now a vegetable, what will others do now? Will they euthanize him and give him a proper funeral, or store him in a cryptosleep casket and rush to build a space-faring ship and head to nearest Glitterworld hospital? See more examples in Stories subforum.

Noobshock

Quote from: Tynan on December 31, 2014, 04:11:30 PM
Quote from: Noobshock on December 31, 2014, 03:48:57 PM

But why do you want less drama in your game? Drama is the whole point.

I'm not asking for less drama, just more varied types of drama (other things that aren't fixable). Unless you want the braindead colonist to be a staple by design, which is fine too, I just didn't understand that.

hopdevil

I understand the game has a level of drama.  However, it's still a strategy game.  A good strategy game has something the player can do to counter events (a counter strategy).  It will require sacrifices to do so and may leave the player vulnerable in other areas but it's still an option the player can use.  Or not use, if the player chooses.  For instance, I don't like sieges.   So I am more drawn to tundra maps because the attackers start to freeze and then assault very quickly.   However, by choosing tundra I have created other challenges I have to deal with.  This choice I made as the player has not reduced the drama of my game.  Simple Jack can easily freeze or starve in the tundra but it reduces the chances of him getting blasted to pieces by a mortar round while chowing down on Muffalo and Potato casserole.