Mushroom farming

Started by Pilz, December 31, 2014, 09:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pilz

Hey everyone,

I am working on a mod that will add different kinds of mushroom to the game, but since i am new to modding i could use some pointers.

Mushroom farming would be a totally independent from normal farming, they should only be able to grow on rough stone, at 30-40°C and may not be brightly lit.

Here are my initial questions (i am new to modding, so forgive me if some questions seem rather stupid):

-i assume that i would have to make a new growing zone, since the normal one cannot be placed on stone. I have not found the def files for the zones, where would those be located? Would it require .dll coding?
-How can i change the requirements for plants? There doesn't seem to be any reference to them in the plantDefs, which makes me think that the requirement are somehow coded for all "Plant" types, which could be difficult to change
-Is it possible to unlock new plant types via research? As far as I understand, that might be a problem.

That is all for now, i am certain i will have more questions in the future ;)

Shinzy

I can't really provide any help lacking the skill and so
but I can tell you're going to need .dll for each of those

there are some brilliant modders around though!
so you've got great chances on getting started atleast =P
the only tip *I* can give is to try get aquainted with all the tools you gna need
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3408.0
this thread mite help a bit (You can also always spam Haplo with pms! you have my permission to do so!)

Pilz

Oh well, the need for .dlls is just my luck.
I'll try to to just implement the mushrooms and associated workbenches first, and figure out the .dll stuff later.
Is there any word on wether or not the next alpha will break mods?

And btw, your aparrel mod is awesome, so far i have just looked at the textures, but they look really professional.
Can't wait for the alpha 8 update ;)

Shinzy

Quote from: Pilz on December 31, 2014, 09:53:35 AM
Oh well, the need for .dlls is just my luck.
I'll try to to just implement the mushrooms and associated workbenches first, and figure out the .dll stuff later.
Is there any word on wether or not the next alpha will break mods?

And btw, your aparrel mod is awesome, so far i have just looked at the textures, but they look really professional.
Can't wait for the alpha 8 update ;)

every alpha so far has changed little bits of things in the xmls
so you'd likely have to update every alpha
This particular alpha just happened to change all the texture paths and quite a few bits of apparel related things ;D Could almost think Tynan was deliberately trolling me (possibly not)

but even then it's just matter of copypasting and comparing files so
it's not overpowering =P don't let that kinda thing get you off from making mushies!

(I also can't wait for me to update my mod to A8 =P after seeing how the apparel tags work, I can have everypawny wear socks)

unifex

I made a few minor changes on top of the plant class if you want to look at:

https://github.com/calmhorizons/innerworlds/blob/master/iw-base/assembly/Innerworlds-Base/Fungi.cs

There's zipped bundles of the mods in the release directory with a Innerworlds-Base.dll with that class, but its not too much effort to create a new project and compile the code either (I can recommend SharpDevelop http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx as an open source c# Windows compiler).

Match

Quote from: Pilz on December 31, 2014, 09:21:20 AM
Hey everyone,

I am working on a mod that will add different kinds of mushroom to the game, but since i am new to modding i could use some pointers.

Mushroom farming would be a totally independent from normal farming, they should only be able to grow on rough stone, at 30-40�C and may not be brightly lit.

Here are my initial questions (i am new to modding, so forgive me if some questions seem rather stupid):

-i assume that i would have to make a new growing zone, since the normal one cannot be placed on stone. I have not found the def files for the zones, where would those be located? Would it require .dll coding?
-How can i change the requirements for plants? There doesn't seem to be any reference to them in the plantDefs, which makes me think that the requirement are somehow coded for all "Plant" types, which could be difficult to change
-Is it possible to unlock new plant types via research? As far as I understand, that might be a problem.

That is all for now, i am certain i will have more questions in the future ;)

Why the emphasis on rough stone for the choice of habitat? Mushrooms function in an ecological system is that of a detritivore, an organism that 'feeds' on dead and decaying matter. If you are going for a more realistic approach, I would include other sources of terrain. That said, its your mod, just offering a suggestion.