Really glad to see performance worked on

Started by bullwinkle, January 03, 2015, 09:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullwinkle

As the title states, really happy to see performance worked on! I've always had issues where after year 3 the colony just wouldn't run smoothly enough and i would hav to give up a great colony and start over.  :(

I see guys posting 10 year old colonies and am just baffled. Thank you for working on this!!!! ;D  ;D

Matchstick

You've managed to keep your colony alive for three years?!   :o

nuschler22

I get to the point where my colony is so well defended and I want the clothes and weapons, I'm begging for raiders to attack me. 

But you're right about that.  Year three is generally where everything starts to get the extreme slow down.

Tynan

Quote from: Matchstick on January 03, 2015, 01:48:34 PM
You've managed to keep your colony alive for three years?!   :o

Yes this is actually part of why I'm taking on performance now. In previous alphas people tended not to play as long! But now everyone is building these 5-year mega-bases so performance problems are becoming relevant again.

That, and the AI has more to think about now and is smarter so it tends to eat more CPU cycles.

It's another interesting example of how a game will always break down in lots of different ways for each new area of play possibility you add (even if it's just adding another year or two).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

brinxter

My colony is on year 6, and still going strong :)  (with mods, so i cant add to your request)
Yes, it does slow down a little bit when raiders come (the parties are getting fairly large now), but the worst thing of all, is fire, that's a resource hog.

bullwinkle

Ya I'd really like to have a colony last for 20 years haha. I like building. Finding better ways to do things.