[Discussion] Ideal bedroom size?

Started by Kinakin, January 02, 2015, 05:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goo Poni

I use a 7x5 room that I then fill with random toot once resources allow. My current room design is standardized rooms with green carpet leading to the bed, some hard-wearing metal tiling around the edges of the room and every colonist gets some shelving, a locker, desk and chair, a potted plant and a light at the foot of their bed.

DeltaV

Personally, I always just use 3x3 rooms with a bed and maybe some decoration, since they can't go crazy while they're asleep. The 3x3 modifier is only like a -5 anyways, and it goes away as soon as they leave the room.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

MisterLock

Quote from: Goo Poni on January 03, 2015, 08:51:35 AM
I use a 7x5 room
Wait what?Visitor Beds?WhaaaaT?

On topic:I am that 5x5 type of guy to,I find it works the best if you do want individual rooms,The problem is I actually find it hard to fill it with decorative objects(haven't tried the hand crafted statues in this alpha,because I only used communal bedrooms,way better then paying energy for everyone's room).
To each his own.

Asero

Goo Poni

Quote from: MisterLock on January 03, 2015, 08:10:42 PM
I use a 7x5 room
A mod. Check out Haplo's Miscellaneous with MAI. The visitor beds allow me to actually go help wounded friendlies and in return, once they're up and about again, they leave little trinkets behind like some silver or a gun and I get a (fairly slight) boost to rep with their faction. Colonists can still use them for medical purposes too, so there's no reason not to replace my whole medical ward with those things. I even replaced all the prison beds with them so that prisoners give me stuff for healing them, though that's probably unintended.

MisterLock

Quote from: Goo Poni on January 04, 2015, 01:16:27 AM
I use a 7x5 room
A mod. Check out Haplo's Miscellaneous with MAI. The visitor beds allow me to actually go help wounded friendlies and in return, once they're up and about again, they leave little trinkets behind like some silver or a gun and I get a (fairly slight) boost to rep with their faction. Colonists can still use them for medical purposes too, so there's no reason not to replace my whole medical ward with those things. I even replaced all the prison beds with them so that prisoners give me stuff for healing them, though that's probably unintended.

Thank you for telling me man!
To each his own.

milon

I use a 7x5 room

On topic:I am that 5x5 type of guy to,I find it works the best if you do want individual rooms,The problem is I actually find it hard to fill it with decorative objects(haven't tried the hand crafted statues in this alpha,because I only used communal bedrooms,way better then paying energy for everyone's room).

About the energy costs, just heat/cool a common room/hall, connect all the bedrooms to it, and prop the door open with a piece of otherwise useless apparel.  Doors are very leaky when open!  ;)

Grizzlyadamz

I've found so long as the common hallway is small, you don't even need to prop the door open.

But I'm only in a boreal forest. No idea how well that'd fair in a harsher climate.

milon

I play on Ice Sheet, and it makes a difference.  :D

Back on topic, I'm really questioning why I build 6x6.  They're only in their rooms for sleep, so size & beauty really don't matter.  In the future I'm going to try rooms barely large enough for a royal bed and see how that goes.

Grizzlyadamz

Yeees, join the 'cramped' master-race! Let the efficiency flow through you!

MisterLock

Quote from: milon on January 04, 2015, 09:32:01 AM
I use a 7x5 room

About the energy costs, just heat/cool a common room/hall, connect all the bedrooms to it, and prop the door open with a piece of otherwise useless apparel.  Doors are very leaky when open!  ;)

It's still kinda iffy,having to manage stockpiles for everysingle door,plus I just had a major headache trying to start heating up my central room with a cooler(yes,my main colonist bedroom is a dining hall also).
As for my next question?Since you are using the Ice sheet mod,I'm doing it to,how do you manage trees?I only have 50 wood out of my initial 350 and I currently don't have enough for any major workbench/expensive project.Most of the time it was cold so the trees that I planted didn't grow(Pine trees).Traders don't seem to be bringing wood,so I'm kinda at a loss what to do,If just have to wait till years 2 summer and wait the 25 days left on them so I can chop them down.Ideas?
To each his own.

milon

Trees are tough.  Use fertilizer pump indoors with sun lamps to create a growing space for them, then wait a Long time.  I hear fertilizer pumps will be gone in the next alpha, so we'll have to find existing soil and wall it in (use your mouse to look under the snow).  Either way, don't forget to heat the area.

MisterLock

Quote from: milon on January 04, 2015, 04:09:18 PM
Trees are tough.  Use fertilizer pump indoors with sun lamps to create a growing space for them, then wait a Long time.  I hear fertilizer pumps will be gone in the next alpha, so we'll have to find existing soil and wall it in (use your mouse to look under the snow).  Either way, don't forget to heat the area.

Man :D.So much offtopic,sorry in advance.
So you can grow trees in fertile indoor areas?With roof's on top?If so then thank you,I'll get to fertilizing the land immediately,I also know about the removal of the fertilizer pump,nothing mods can't fix
To each his own.

milon

Exactly!  Which you can then use to build wooden (royal) beds for your size-appropriate bedrooms, as previously discussed.  ;)