Story Popups (Expiring Quests)

Started by SuperCaffeineDude, January 02, 2015, 10:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperCaffeineDude

Right now there's a bit of a divide between cause and correlation concerning attacks.
In game, perhaps through the coms-unit, it might be good to have Yes/No questions posed to the player, or multi-choice like in FTL.

Pirates: Arghhh... we be wanting booty, surrender it now or we attack.
Response... Yes (send 250 silver), No (endure a raid)

Clan: Our people suffer greatly from XXXX  plauge, I have come to ask for aid.
Response... Yes (send 30 medicine), No (-25 relation)

Clan: Our people have fallen on hard times, hand over your food or we will fight you for it.
Response... Yes (send 500 food), No (endure a raid)

Character: I am XXXX I have escaped and require protection from the XXXX Clan. Should you provide it I will... (join you / provide compensation / tell my people of your kindness).
Response... Yes (endure a raid), No

Perhaps the cost of a response might be based on social skills, that's my idea though.

skullywag

Theres all kinds of extra stuff to work out with this kind of thing. How are the goods taken, do they need to be in a stockpile, what about restricted goods. Not impossible just needs more work than just adding some events. Good idea though adds a little more...something.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

SuperCaffeineDude

Cheers, I see the issue there.

I suppose expiring quests might be the solution.

For example similar to a trade ship you receive a notification:
MSG: The XXXX tribe leader has contacted us pleading for supplies to elevate the famine they suffer. Expires in 5 days.
For simplicities sake you then are able to send everything through the comms via trade beacon (or alternatively your stockpiles).

Klitri

Be better if it just disappeared from your stockpile, so you don't need to build trade beacons everywhere just to send Muziuul the tribesman some medicine. I love this idea though!

Geertje123

I really like this idea. +1

Quote from: Klitri on January 02, 2015, 04:26:40 PM
Be better if it just disappeared from your stockpile, so you don't need to build trade beacons everywhere just to send Muziuul the tribesman some medicine. I love this idea though!

I think it would be cool if instead of dissapearing, 2 people from the tribe come pick up the supplies

Professor Cupcake

+1 to this entire idea.
I particularly like the thought of a limited-time quest-esque system.
Anything which can let you define more of a "personality" for your colony, I guess.
And we definitely need alternative solutions to some events.

... On a side note, I think "quest-esque" might be my most favourite use of that suffix ever.
Quest-esque.
Quote from: Professor CupcakeQuest-esque.

kingtyris

I love the idea of Rimworld having storyteller AI's, and any such AI is in need of a system like this.

mipen

This is a really great idea! It would really add to the immersion and interaction with with different factions. Some other ideas could be you are asked to mediate a dispute between two factions, you are just sent little tidbits of stories from other factions to help world-building etc. Just all sorts of things that add to the story and history of your colony. It would really help with giving your colony a place in the world. I really love this idea!

Johnny Masters

That's a nice and easy implementation of one regularly suggested feature.

If you check minami's mod there is a feature that some traveling traders show up somewhat regularly and set camp (a tent) in your territory for a day or so. You can then interact with the tent to prompt the trade screen. The only problem is  that you still need the orbital beacon, because it's so deep coded into the game.

So, getting rid of the orbital beacon would be a nice step. Or make it only used to receive goods and to launch goods once they are sold (they are hauled and then launched, with what we'll never know).

If you can have traders come, you can have emissaries that reach around your town and set up camp until you talk or dismiss them. Transmitting resources might be as simple as it simply vanishing from your inventory or things being hauled tho and from a trader/emissary tent.

SuperCaffeineDude

Cheers dudes, the suggestion of using the vanilla trade beacon is more a suggestion for a swift means of implementation, but I agree (Johnny and Geertje123) it'd be sweet and more authentic if they either built a tent to conduct business (no innuendos intended) or/and had some dudes come to collect.

I like the tent idea though, after all it'd just be a reskin of the current trade beacon fixed to show a "trade ship" named after the tribe and offering whatever. And it never made much sense why the technophobs are able to receive my silver wirelessly. Though this trade system is perhaps another conversation in itself  :D.

I also agree it'd be great if you could mediate between tribes and even yourself, I think would work especially well with what Johnny suggested, though their seems no reason you couldn't have someone sit at the comms unit trying to convince tribe X that tribe Y are cool using social skill, or even more simply...

Tribe A thinks Tribe B is t'ots uncool, Tribe B pleads you to convince them otherwise
Convince -10 Tribe A +20 Tribe B relationship "They cool"
Stay out of it -10 Tribe B relationship "...I need to... bye"
Agree +10 relation -25 Tribe B relationship "Look at how they dress! ROFLOL"

But yeh I think what I want is a little more role-play going on as the manager, the battle system might not be flawless but it's fun, it just feels a tad arbitrary when it escalates beyond what is manageable without cause. Adding context to these engagements would make everything that much cooler.

For example:
The Pirates threatened to attack my colony if I did not hand over X amount of slaves(male/female) or silver. We refused as we had spent the silver on food and could not bare the thought of selling our own, thus the pirates besieged our colony for a number of days. They later attacked, and had it not been for the tribes people of X who journeyed to assist us in our hour of need (as we had theirs when they suffered from crop blight), we may very well have died.

Who knows though fingers crossed we can get something of the like.

Eleazar

Quote from: SuperCaffeineDude on January 02, 2015, 10:46:12 AM

Pirates: Arghhh... we be wanting booty, surrender it now or we attack.
Response... Yes (send 250 silver), No (endure a raid)

Clan: Our people suffer greatly from XXXX  plauge, I have come to ask for aid.
Response... Yes (send 30 medicine), No (-25 relation)

Clan: Our people have fallen on hard times, hand over your food or we will fight you for it.
Response... Yes (send 500 food), No (endure a raid)

Character: I am XXXX I have escaped and require protection from the XXXX Clan. Should you provide it I will... (join you / provide compensation / tell my people of your kindness).
Response... Yes (endure a raid), No

Then the actions of the raiders should match their rational.  For instance, pirates offer loot would go after piles of silver at the trade beacon, while the hungry would raid any available food stores, avoiding the death-traps if possible.

Actuall I'd like to see this anyway, different raids having different, limited objectives, rather than a suicidal desire to break down your doors.

SuperCaffeineDude

You're quite right, they already haul prisoners away with them (for reasons) it'd be cool if they could change what they want to return with, with or without the story system I think. Though I suspect you wouldn't notice it all that often without a drastic change in how the ai fights.