Do fertilizer pumps turn shallow water into soil?

Started by Dandi, January 03, 2015, 02:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandi

Subj.
The Wiki says they do (http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Fertilizer_Pump), but I've been waiting for a couple of in-game months and it didn't do anything to water.

Pathing

you can check
rimworld\Mods\Core\Defs\TerrainDefs\Terrain_Water.xml
Steel is food. Steel is defense. Steel is weapon.
Steel is RimWorld.

ItchyFlea

No they don't. The wiki is wrong in this regard.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

runetrantor

Dunno about lakes proper, but I did remove marsh ponds with it.

TheSilencedScream

Just marshes, in terms of water.
But unfortunately, it seems, that won't be the case when A9 rolls out.

From Tynan's changelog, December 15th:
"Cut fertilizer pump (to provide a more meaningful long-term choice between soil farming and hydroponics)."
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Neutromancer

I mostly just use pumps to revert floors back to dirt after I've demolished whatever I had there, and to remove annoying mud.

Enjoyment

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on January 14, 2015, 02:06:21 AM
"Cut fertilizer pump (to provide a more meaningful long-term choice between soil farming and hydroponics)."
Not sure it means "cut off from the game entirely". It can, but I'm not sure)
It's cheaty at the moment (when you could fertilize marble or grnite to soil deep inside the mountain, but we really need some mechanic to remove/change marshes/sand/gravel... IMHO
English is neither my native lang nor my strong side...

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: Enjoyment on January 14, 2015, 11:06:46 AM
It's cheaty at the moment (when you could fertilize marble or grnite to soil deep inside the mountain, but we really need some mechanic to remove/change marshes/sand/gravel... IMHO

Agreed. My main purpose for it was to get rid of marshes, in order to expand outdoors. Perhaps he simply should've made it function outdoors only? But even then, someone could cause a cave-in and exploit it that way, I suppose. I don't know. :/
Only in Rimworld.

Shinzy

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on January 14, 2015, 12:25:18 PM
Quote from: Enjoyment on January 14, 2015, 11:06:46 AM

Agreed. My main purpose for it was to get rid of marshes, in order to expand outdoors. Perhaps he simply should've made it function outdoors only? But even then, someone could cause a cave-in and exploit it that way, I suppose. I don't know. :/

Maybe if dirt indoors would turn to unfarmable over time unless you constantly fertilize them and add granite/ rocky floor as one of the unfertilisable materials

then  you can't really exploit them, and still get rid of mud =P
but now I'm just mostly repeating what I read somewhere else

Halinder

I seem to recall fertilizer pumps reclaiming land from shallow water, but stopping at deep water. Could be wrong on my part.

lumipharon

Reclaiming marshland into usable ground to build on is a genuine, if probably unintended use for the pump. My current map is 50% marsh, I'd be boned for trying to expand my colony if I couldn't do this.

If this gets removed, is there any chance we could get another way to reclaim marshland?

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: lumipharon on January 14, 2015, 07:09:44 PM
Reclaiming marshland into usable ground to build on is a genuine, if probably unintended use for the pump. My current map is 50% marsh, I'd be boned for trying to expand my colony if I couldn't do this.

If this gets removed, is there any chance we could get another way to reclaim marshland?

+1
Would love to see something of mild effect to help curb the extent of the marshes on maps. Some maps are simply overrun with them. :)
Only in Rimworld.