[A12] Chop - Cut only ready trees

Started by KcY, January 10, 2016, 07:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KcY

Chop

Hey all. Just a little mod to fix something that I found annoying in the game.

This mod adds another tool to Orders that will designate only "Ready To Harvest" Trees for cutting down.

Tool in operation:

Fully grown tree designated:

Partially grown tree not designated:

Download

[attachment deleted due to age]

RemingtonRyder

SURU

Ahh, finally. Thanks! Will be using this as well.
CraPC: AMD Phenom X3 8750 | Club 3D Radeon 7770 | Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 | 4GB RAM DDR2 2x2GB Kingston
Don't go this way!

Shabazza

Ha?
The "Chop tree" tool actually does only designate fully grown trees.
Only the "Remove plant" tool does remove inmature trees as well.
At least that's what I expierience...
I'm confused.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Shabazza on January 11, 2016, 05:05:17 AM
Ha?
The "Chop tree" tool actually does only designate fully grown trees.
Only the "Remove plant" tool does remove inmature trees as well.
At least that's what I expierience...
I'm confused.

Without having tried the mod;
There's a difference between immature, not fully mature, and fully mature trees.
In vanilla you can "cut tree" to get wood, but you can designate not yet fully matured trees also (~80%+). If the tree hasn't grown to a 100% yet, it'll yield less wood. The same is true for plants also; you can harvest potatoes or agave before they fully mature, but will yield less.

Now, immature trees (~70%-) can't be selected with that tool either, but can with "remove plant" (or what it's called), but that will simply remove all plants, not harvest them.

This mod in theory allows you to select only fully grown trees to maximize wood yield, as it lets not yet fully matured trees grow.

Fluffy (l2032)

I have to say I discovered that difference by accident with my manager mod, and only selecting fully mature trees results in a very narrow selection, also I find the yield isn't that much higher. (manager gives you the option to do only fully mature or any wood yielding tree).

KcY

So I figured the numbers today just to find out how useful (or not) this is. All these calculations are from the rimworld source and then tested in game. (RimWorld.Plant.YieldNow() encase anyone is interested in looking for themselves)
Crop yield is done on a sliding scale from when the crop first becomes harvestable for items (in the case of trees 40%) to when they are fully grown.
It scales up evenly from 50% at minimum harvestable growth to 100% at 100% (duh)

Examples:
At 100% an oak tree will yield 65 wood
At 40% it will yield 33 or 32 (rounded randomly)
At 70% (dead center) it will yield 48/49.

Since trees gain 50% harvest in 40% growth but then only another 50 in 60%, when tree farming it is most profitable to cut them at 40% (not including planting time).

If anyone is interested in one for 40% or has any tips on how to make that value changeable in-game, let me know :D

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on January 11, 2016, 12:01:33 PM
I have to say I discovered that difference by accident with my manager mod, and only selecting fully mature trees results in a very narrow selection, also I find the yield isn't that much higher. (manager gives you the option to do only fully mature or any wood yielding tree).

Not sure whether the yield is higher or lower, but on certain types of maps, there is a very limited amount of trees you can cut down; there it's better to pick them fully matured ones, and let the smaller ones grow. That way I can often avoid tree farming.

Faythe

Unfortunately this mod conflicts with VeinMiner https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9616.0. Basically both modify the orders bar, when I add yours VeinMiner tools disappear and it is only with Chop that it does.  I went through my other mods and they all showed veinminer tools.