Multiplayer - how?

Started by TheSilencedScream, January 03, 2015, 07:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oxidus

Quote from: ZestyLemons on January 05, 2015, 04:07:07 AM
Quote from: Oxidus on January 05, 2015, 03:43:54 AM
And Tynan alone,Said that having PVP is senseless.He is imagining CO OP,so players would be like 2-4,and they would help each other out so they would make their own ''story''.

Co-op and PvP are basically the same thing in RimWorld though. It's up to the players to work together or fight/steal/claw their way to 'victory' over enemy colonists. It'd be pretty cool to fight over resources that drop from the sky.
No,actually PvP means Player vs.Player and Tynan doesnt like idea of Player fighting each other he finds it senseless.If it was Co-oP and PvE it could be possible.
Requiescat in Pace,Mio Fello.

Anduin1357

Quote from: Oxidus on January 05, 2015, 05:01:58 AM
Quote from: ZestyLemons on January 05, 2015, 04:07:07 AM
Quote from: Oxidus on January 05, 2015, 03:43:54 AM
And Tynan alone,Said that having PVP is senseless.He is imagining CO OP,so players would be like 2-4,and they would help each other out so they would make their own ''story''.

Co-op and PvP are basically the same thing in RimWorld though. It's up to the players to work together or fight/steal/claw their way to 'victory' over enemy colonists. It'd be pretty cool to fight over resources that drop from the sky.
No,actually PvP means Player vs.Player and Tynan doesnt like idea of Player fighting each other he finds it senseless.If it was Co-oP and PvE it could be possible.
Firstly, I apologize for the quote spam (idk how to remove the quote with it being complex and such)
Secondly, IT'S HIS OPINION, we don't need to agree with him at all times.
Thirdly, Tynan never stated how large the interstellar ships can be, the ship that spawned Rimworld could have been a 80 meter corvette housing more than 3 ppl obviously.
This ship for all we know could have been in evacuation mode and it may as well have housed thousands of millions of spacers and only now do spacers drop pod to the ground in their stasis pods in the emergency and populate the planet in the multiplayer (mod)
We can play this however we want in whatever form we want and with whatever terms and specifications we want.

A partial source release is included with the game in the Source folder.
Here you'll find a few of the source files for the base game for your reference.
You can also decompile the whole game using a .NET decompiler like dotPeek or ILSpy.

Some basic legal clarification:
   -You're welcome to make whatever mod you like and distribute it as broadly as possible. <---
   -You may only distribute RimWorld mods non-commercially (for free).
   -You may accept donations, but only if all your mods are free for everyone.

Cheers
Ty
- Readme_Modmaking.txt
Let us hold him to it if it should go that far.
note: to any mod maker who reads this, you might notice Tynan allows for disassembly of his game so long as it's only for a mod.
Take this opportunity and learn about the game's secrets and inner workings!

Cat123

Quote from: Anduin1357 on January 05, 2015, 05:30:08 AM
note: to any mod maker who reads this, you might notice Tynan allows for disassembly of his game so long as it's only for a mod.
Take this opportunity and learn about the game's secrets and inner workings!

From someone who is known for saying things like "that'd be easy to implement", adding netcode would be a massive job, even if you were adding only co-op LAN style connections (i.e. no central servers).

Being honest, I'm not sure what real payoff adding MP would give: although everyone loves their minecraft / Terraria servers, the entire focus of Rimworld is a timed experience (generally, 3 years). Too long to play in a day, too short to have as permanent servers.

Added to that is the mechanics - you'd have to have separate colonists / player if playing on the same map (rather than just world map), but what happens if a player wants to grief another? How would you handle build orders? e.g. you want to build a wall at point X; player two wants to build a farm - what happens when colonists try to 'over-lap'? What priority is given to zones and ownership? (and what's to stop someone laying out a 100x100 dumping zone on your base to prevent you using the real estate?). How would you prioritize resources? e.g. player 1 picks up an item; player 2 wants it - how do you set ownership?

Also, pvp would be entirely not-fun; without the dumb AI, bases are impossible to defend, and mortars would just be a griefing war.

That's just 5mins of thinking about it.

Oxidus

Quote from: Anduin1357 on January 05, 2015, 04:26:49 AM
Quote from: Oxidus on January 05, 2015, 03:41:07 AMI would imagine being it like Age of Empires 3.Or Stronghole 2 by map.
What cell map actually means in-game is the tiles on the map of the colony.I call it cells because when you look at information on a character and check the guy's speed,
it's measured in c/s or cells per second. cells would be a measure of distance no different than what we would think is a tile in game.tl;dr1 cell = 1 tileTherefore, cells is just the in-game name for tiles.

Sorry that it was so confusing.
btw, it is not a continuous map so it will not generate more map, just another map generated from one world tile away in the overworld in which your colonists are transported to the other tile on the side they are entering from in possibly preset locations originally meant for AI travellers.

PvP is not senseless. Look, if you have 2 colonies vying for survival, would there be mutual co-operation?

As long as PvP is left as an option for players to choose, As it would realistically make sense to have, there would be an even broader story to tell.
I imagine that Tynan thinks that having an overworld game is yet nigh impossible and he does not want to try.
From his viewpoint, having a war between 2 groups of colonists is pointless since they need each other to survive the raids etc. I agree.
But in an overworld situation, there can be colonies that are 20, even 30 years of age with many dozens of colonists who can pick up a gun and fight for their sovereign rights,

It's all up to the individual's point of view. If he won't allow PvP, someone will. There is a want for a multiplayer overworld, this is it.
Devs do not decide the game when they allow modders access to so much source material, the modders mould the game into what they think is a better game.
When the dev quits on you, (not saying Tynan will or will not) it's the community that keeps it up and running,
It's not exactly up to him (eventually) but it'll sure help if he would listen to this since this adds way more value to the game than what he probably is thinking.

(Any kind of online hosting server would eat bandwidth and probably crash the server/incur large costs for bandwidth alone.)
(centralised server would lag games that could otherwise have run smoothly on each other's machine due to location)
(mods would be less supported in a centralised server)
(Direct hosting would require a lot of IP manipulation and technical issues)
(There would be no convenient way to find hosts/games)
(Matchmaking server + Direct hosting still incurs some costs)
(More bugs with server/ hosting/ joining game)

(less with direct save loading and on the run saving.)
(Bandwidth cost is spread all on end-users, consider it a minor donation considering the small save sizes and loads of static objects that need not update)
(At no cost incurrence to Dev except dev time which is well spent on a good feature)
(Why play on one area when you can spread to other places and do combat? Replayability +++)
(Why the need to survive against the raiders when you can team up and nip the bud of the problem?)
(Eliminates a lot of 'dumb' raiders and makes base defense way harder)

(Encounter a dude who turtled into a mountain? Make a base into the mountain and dig to his colony and kill em all.)
(Definition of survival in rimworld improved.)
Sorry about the wall of text, I was frustrated about the community's... absolute faith and loyalty to Tynan.

There needs to be a radical new way of playing this game and here is a branch to a brighter future for RimWorld.
Don't just slam it and throw it away just because founder and creator of game disapproves of one of it's draw factors,
freedom to do absolutely anything stupid or otherwise.
Because YOLO.

Don't lock this thread just yet, mods. This is how games grow.

Tynan said IF (So it means there wont be no multiplayer at all) multiplayer will come out it wont be PVP,only Two colonies helping each other out to make their own story.So PVP is written off.

Anduin1357

Quote from: Oxidus on January 05, 2015, 07:36:00 AM
Tynan said IF (So it means there wont be no multiplayer at all) multiplayer will come out it wont be PVP,only Two colonies helping each other out to make their own story.So PVP is written off.
::) Why do you even bother to reply in this thread when all you do is quote a wall of text and end off with a one liner which just ignored all my recent posts.

We don't need Tynan to say what we can or cannot
Do.

Geertje123

Quote from: Anduin1357 on January 05, 2015, 08:00:49 AM
Do.

I don't entirely agree with this statement. You can do whatever you want. You can make a mod out of this after all, but it's his game, and he has the final decision over it. ;)

Oxidus

::) Why do you even bother to reply in this thread when all you do is quote a wall of text and end off with a one liner which just ignored all my recent posts.

Do.
I agree with guy who commented before me,and do you wanna pay for a server?Do you?You need to do as Tynan says its his game or you need him to get allowed.Thats why i stopped reading everything after you noticed PVP.It doesnt make sense to read it.Since IF (Maybe multiplayer never gets released) multiplayer gets released it wont be PVP only Co-Op with PVE.

Oxidus

Do.
And i didnt meant to argue with you,me alone wanted PVP to be and come out but...Its senseless just like Tynan says.

Syvera

How exactly is the concept of Player Vs. Player in potential multiplayer campaigns senseless? Considering the games theme, it honestly makes perfect sense, depending on how its implemented.

Irregardless; I believe if multiplayer is implemented, and PvP is not, someone out there will figure out a way to mod it to be optional. We've got some smart cookies in the modding community. :X

Wulfik

XY players same colony would be great. Id like to see 2 ( or more ) players one base just like AoE 2 had when you chose same color.
Would be nice to manage base together because its pretty much boring alone, even tho game is fun but doing the same thing all over again ... that is insanity.

Speeding up would be like in other games Stronghold, Supreme Commander etc. Everybody can speed up/slow down.

Oxidus

If Tynan implents dying ingame then players would start in basic Sky Blue colour and to make them uniforms colour it by team colour,that would be cool :D

Splinterbee

It could be a giant risk like game. Capture the hole world with your team
Video games, are pretty good

Anduin1357

Quote from: Oxidus on January 05, 2015, 10:46:48 AM

Do.
I agree with guy who commented before me,and do you wanna pay for a server?Do you?You need to do as Tynan says its his game or you need him to get allowed.Thats why i stopped reading everything after you noticed PVP.It doesnt make sense to read it.Since IF (Maybe multiplayer never gets released) multiplayer gets released it wont be PVP only Co-Op with PVE.
Quote from: Geertje123 on January 05, 2015, 09:49:47 AM
Do.

I don't entirely agree with this statement. You can do whatever you want. You can make a mod out of this after all, but it's his game, and he has the final decision over it. ;)
All I can say is
QuoteA partial source release is included with the game in the Source folder.
Here you'll find a few of the source files for the base game for your reference.
You can also decompile the whole game using a .NET decompiler like dotPeek or ILSpy.

Some basic legal clarification:
   -You're welcome to make whatever mod you like and distribute it as broadly as possible. <---
   -You may only distribute RimWorld mods non-commercially (for free).
   -You may accept donations, but only if all your mods are free for everyone.

Cheers
Ty
- Readme_Modmaking.txt
People are too stupid to read.

StorymasterQ

Come on now, let's not start with the huge fonts.

You said that you don't need Tynan to say what we can and cannot do, but you keep referencing the things that Tynan explicitly says that we can do. Hear what you're saying, mon. You're just saying that you don't need Tynan to say what we cannot do.

It's still his game, though. If someday he changes his stance and explicitly says that he doesn't want his game to be made into PvP, will you back down?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

murhe

Not very interested about multiplayer game, but if...

I would like  to see huge map where few players simultaniously drop in (from same broken ship) with 1-3 (according choice when creating a game) characters each. After that, it would be up to them what to do: start a war, build huge colonny or build separate colonies.
- Resources like energy generators, workbench's, storage/dumping piles and fields would have option to share it with another player. If generator produce excess power it would be routed to another if there is power line (if several players then output is shared between them). Both colonies would collect from shared field to nearest shared or own pile according priority (favoring owned when same priority). Hungry person would go nearest place to snack.
- You could steal from another player, but that would be considered as stealing. Player could answer by changing hostility level when provoked, not otherwise unless agreeed otherwise when game is created. Friendly (characters help each other like own colony members by taking them medical beds and healing), neutral, hostile (they consider eachother with enemies and start fighting, turrets fire them etc).
- Difficulty level would be higher as there more players, still diffrent levels.