Mechs a little to hard?

Started by Scotty, January 04, 2015, 10:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Ello all,
Recently iv ran in to major trouble which results in the end of my colonys.
2+ years in and i always get assaulted by 4/5 caterpillars and 2 sythers.
no matter what defences i put down they always just smash it and its getting to the point where i dont enjoy it. I can kill the sythers easy with close range turrets, but main problem is the cats and their incendiary weapons.

I have tried the "round the corner" turret tatic and this does work for the sythers,  but the cats are just to strong.

Whats the best way to combat these guys? im not talking about the ancient parts but the immidiate drops.

Electric Bugalú Dale

EMP grenades are you best bet.

Though what most people will tell you is to bait and shoot them. Get one colonist to catch it's attention while another shoots it.

Grizzlyadamz

EMP & Frag nades. EMPs only work once though, so you need your other colonists to pour on the frags to shred the thing's whole robo-body at once.

Also, put the turrets in darkness to protect them. I was actually saved by my turrets back when I first encountered the mechanoids- colonists caught fire & incapped, but the turrets kept firing.

Scotty

Quote from: Grizzlyadamz on January 04, 2015, 10:36:05 AM
EMP & Frag nades. EMPs only work once though, so you need your other colonists to pour on the frags to shred the thing's whole robo-body at once.

Also, put the turrets in darkness to protect them. I was actually saved by my turrets back when I first encountered the mechanoids- colonists caught fire & incapped, but the turrets kept firing.

So mechs cant see turrets in the dark?

Valdemar FIN

Quote from: Scotty on January 04, 2015, 10:41:15 AM
So mechs cant see turrets in the dark?

I think they can, but because shooting targets in darkness gets aim penalty, the mechs will miss a lot more and the lifespans of your turrets are extended.

Grizzlyadamz

I think the debuff is 40%, so it's pretty significant.

Scotty

Ah cool i will have a look.
My main problem is the weapons with an AOE. setting fire to ALL of the things

Grizzlyadamz

Yep. Counter-AOE! If you can bunch them up properly, I'd say 3-4 colonists could take out dozens of the creepy-crawlers.

Scotty

Quote from: Grizzlyadamz on January 04, 2015, 11:11:07 AM
Yep. Counter-AOE! If you can bunch them up properly, I'd say 3-4 colonists could take out dozens of the creepy-crawlers.

Ah!
Incendiary launcher?

Goo Poni

The launcher only sets fire to one tile/target. I believe if you can kill a centipede with an inferno cannon, it will drop and thus you can get a colonist to go pick it up and use that. It's also one of the very few weapons to have a non-standard cooldown of ~2 seconds compared to 0.6s for most weapons.

Utherix

Quote from: Goo Poni on January 04, 2015, 12:43:04 PM
The launcher only sets fire to one tile/target. I believe if you can kill a centipede with an inferno cannon, it will drop and thus you can get a colonist to go pick it up and use that. It's also one of the very few weapons to have a non-standard cooldown of ~2 seconds compared to 0.6s for most weapons.

Are you playing an old version of the game? They definitely don't drop inferno cannons and all weapons have different cooldowns, most larger than .6s

Scotty

You can edit the .xml file to allow drops. But by default they disappear