[WIP] Radiation

Started by Orion, January 04, 2015, 09:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orion

This mod turns the world into a radioactive zone. The idea is that most consumables are radiated, dangerous waste lurks in the environment and the air is not fit for breathing. The mod is supposed to work in conjunction with other mods and stand-alone, so people can add radiation to their game or total conversion.

Done:
- radioactive waste barrels are placed hidden in mountains, creating a new threat to colonists
- barrels can be destroyed
- barrels leak radioactive slime
To do:
- mining and storing uranium spawns radiated dust
- animal meat and harvested food is radiated
- let radiated objects increase a pawn's radiation level if within range or consumed
- let the world increase a pawn's radiation level very very slowly if inside
- let the world increase a pawn's radiation level slowly if outside
- create radiation disease with negative / deadly effects
- create protective gear that limits increase of radiation level
- integrate water mod for further radioactive threat?
- add purifier to clean radiated objects?

Obviously everyone's input is very welcome!

Vherid

Ooo I'm looking forward to this.

Dragoon

Please prioritize the purifier (cause without it were doomed) .
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Orion

I guess until it's there the "craft your own medicine" mod will be quite vital...

But a good point!

dareddevil7

sounds like we need radiation suits and gas masks

tresflores

hey this is a cool mod
hows it going right now

Orion

After some struggle with creating interesting choices and lack of interest in the forum, I chose to leave it be for now and focus on my mechanoids mod.

One's people constantly dying unless they wear gasmasks and heavy clothing when leaving their base doesn't add much to the enjoyment of the game.

I do have a few ideas: e.g. seasonal radiation waves, e.g. it's usually safe to go outside, except for during special events (radiation storm). But yeah. Not as fun as on paper ;)

dareddevil7

maybe pressurize/filter air in the bases to keep out toxins, but that sounds like a coding nightmare

Dragoon

Quote from: Orion on January 31, 2015, 06:06:37 AM
After some struggle with creating interesting choices and lack of interest in the forum, I chose to leave it be for now and focus on my mechanoids mod.

One's people constantly dying unless they wear gasmasks and heavy clothing when leaving their base doesn't add much to the enjoyment of the game.

I do have a few ideas: e.g. seasonal radiation waves, e.g. it's usually safe to go outside, except for during special events (radiation storm). But yeah. Not as fun as on paper ;)

I like the radiation storm/wave idea.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

tresflores

could you post what you have for people to test out an we if we like it

Orion

Sure, it's not very much yet, though. It was my first attempt at a mod.

Radiation.zip

What's there:
- when you create a new map, hidden rooms are built into the mountains that contain radioactive barrels
- radioactive barrels leak waste that causes damage to colonists

You'll see a debug message show up when a colonist gets damaged by radioactivity. Obviously that should be taken out.

Vas

Just a note for this project, the only way you'll have a radioactive landscape, is if some un-natural disaster hit the land like a nuclear bomb.  So.  :|  Uranium ore isn't even dangerous.  it's about as radioactive as a handful of bananas.  Refining and using it is what makes it radioactive for the next 30-80 years.

But anyway, up to you on how your mod plays out.  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Orion

I do think the assumption here is that such an event has already happened. And applying common television / comic book laws.

But then in any case I will discontinue the mod for now. There are a few other mods already released that introduce radiation one way or another.