Extreme Challenge mode- how to survive?!

Started by Quasarrgames, January 04, 2015, 10:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

how do you survive extreme challenge mode? I always survive about 2 months, and then wave after relentless wave of enemies (or just a crashed ship part) come and kill all my colonists. Usually by then my killbox is under construction, and i don't have any decent weapons, just a couple of turrets scattered around. I start building a killbox as quickly as possible, but it's never quick enough.

also, how do you survive without a killbox? It never works for me purely because of scythers and their sneaky potshotting-from-beyond-my-range tactic.

THANKS!
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

milon

You could build an anti-sniper perimeter wall to force the Scythers to come in range of your turrets.

Halinder

You could also stage your homes in manners that create alleys with corners rather than straight halls. Open, easy to get around in, no cheap walled-off trick, and snipers can't pop through either.

Pathing

It is actually Extreme challenge mode itself that makes your colony grow so fast compared to other modes.
My strategy
3 on start -> choose location, where steel is.
-> build research table, 1 colonist will do this job
-> build closed sun lamp room with nutrient paste dispenser room near it, 1 NPD from 1 sun lamp garden can easily feed 20-30 colonists (probably with hydroponic upgrade on some squares)
-> build wall, stop research, build kill-box
-> expand kill-box, at least 9 turrets (3x3), these can hold up to 20+ raiders.
-> you are safe, you can expand your kill-box to 5x5 (25 turrets) or build building on resident area or just rush for the ship
To be concluded.
1. Deal with temperature. Always make research table and use it if it is possible. (<5 days)
(Need steel for power and probably wood for cold weather)
2. Deal with food by building closed sun lamp garden room or you can ignore sun lamp if you don't have weather problem. (another 5 days)
(Need steel)
3. Deal with defense by building wall and kill-box. (another 5 days)
That's about 1 month in game.
(Again, it requires lots of steel)
When you get kill-box, you should build communication consoles so you can sell those items from raiders.

There is some trick for your kill-box, that is
if you build barricades around your turrets on your kill-box area. The raiders will run in and use barricades as cover which is stupid since they are in exploding radius of igniting turrets.

Without kill-box, well, the best I can do is build barricade for them and use my colonists flank them left and right while some are at front at hopefully safe distance.
Steel is food. Steel is defense. Steel is weapon.
Steel is RimWorld.