[MOD](Alpha 10) Mining&Co.: Force field (V10.0 29-04-2015)

Started by Rikiki, February 08, 2015, 10:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikiki

Mining&Co.: Force field

Local tribes are sometimes not really "cooperative" when an excavation outpost is established in "their" territory.
Force field generators are perfect to protect your security forces under a rain of arrows and pila.

Features

The force field generator is able to charge up and sustain a protective field which will absorb incoming projectiles.

• Blocks incoming bullets and rockets. The heavier the caliber, the more power will be drained.
  • Is able to repel incoming low-velocity explosives (grenades). Watch out you crazy grenadier! ;D
  • When powered down, the generator will send back some of its energy to the power net.

Showroom

Dynamic effect when absorbing shot:

User manual

• Research the integrated circuits from the M&Co. Common mod and force field research.
  • Build a force field generator to protect key positions.

Technical support

Mining & Co. is continuously trying to improving its product to raise its customers satisfaction.
Please leave us our feedback. Balancing cannot be done without you, loyal customer!

Changelog

V1.0
* Initial release for Alpha 8.

V9.0
* Alpha 9 update (decided to change the version number to reflect the current Alpha).
* Improved the energy management when initializing and during discharge.

V10.0
* Alpha 10 update

Compatibility notes

Mining & Co. is trying to make its mods modular. However, you need the Mining & Co. Common mod.
You need to activate Common mod first, for example:
- M&Co. Common
- M&Co. ForceField

Credits

No link with jaxxa shield. This mod has been coded from scratch. ;)

Modders note

You may be interrested in the following features:

• Use of dynamic graphics and motes

License

You are free to get inspiration from this little work and include it in any other mod/modpack. Just put a link to this thread so people can use it as a standalone version too.
So this is basically licensed under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.

Note to modpacker: not that I don't want to help, but I have very little time to mod/play so I may not be very fast to answer integration questions.

Download

Starting a new world/colony is NOT required!
M&Co.: Common V10.0
M&Co.: Common V10.0 source => for modders

M&Co.: ForceField V10.0
M&Co.: ForceField V10.0 source => for modders

Epyk

Click picture for Epyk Pack!
Try Epokalypse!

skullywag

Wow, great work Rikiki, really liking how youve handled this. I have a mod ive literally this second just finished an element of that uses Jaxxas shield code in it, im considering ripping it out and seeing if I can make it use this as its almost exactly the kind of thing I had in mind when i started the mod, I just love the sectional shield design.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

ManWithNoName

Latta

So this works as a directional shield? Oh well, how great it is! Thank you for great mod

skullywag

I just tested it and 2 people with guns couldnt bring it down for a loooong while, the pistol and enfield (Starter guns). Is this intended to be an end game "combat the horde" type dealy?

dareddevil7

will you ever consider releasing all the Mining&Co mods together as a bundle instead of going around and downloading all the individual files?

Rikiki

Thanks all for the positive feedback! :D

@Canute: it is just a design choice. I used this eldar shield as model.

@skullywag: given the cost in term of research, energy and construction materials, I hoped it was balanced. But... to be honest I did not had time to play a real game with it... :P
However, with my first parameters, the shield was powered down with only 2 minigun volleys so I increased its max charge.
=> I designed it so you can easily modify the charge parameters via XML. So I await your parameters suggestions! :)

@dareddevil7: I will consider it for Alpha 9. I prefer however each mod to have its own thread so maintenance and bug report is easier.

skullywag

Ive played some more with it and actually once you get 2 midrange weapons on the field its pretty balanced, which due to the material costs and stuff as you stated it likely to be the case by the time you get it, so no issue here, looking forward to messing with it properly though.

Viken

I've been waiting for this and the other Mining&Co mods. They looked cool but was bummed when they were still only Alpha 8 compatible.  Now that's changed though. Mwhahaha.

I would like to suggest either an upgraded version of the Force field, or perhaps an extension that be attacked to any (hopefully with other mods, too) walls so they can be used to protect whole buildings, like defense bases or power stations.  That'd be cool to see.

Also, powered shield armor? Using battery packs or the like for personal deployments would be cool. Haha.

Rikiki

Updated for Alpha 10!

@Viken: Skullywag has made some tweaks with personal shields. It might be what you are looking for. :)