[MOD] (Alpha 8) EdB Scenarios (v1.1.2 - Released 25 Jan 2015)

Started by EdB, January 04, 2015, 06:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igabod

Quote from: StorymasterQ on January 12, 2015, 07:45:58 PM
Am I seeing this right? EdB makes a mod and then people make mods of his mod? Well, content for his mod.

Is Rimworld already entering a modception stage? It's not even out of Alpha yet :D

Wait till you see the mod of ItchyFlea's scenario. It'll be a mod within a mod within a mod within a game that is nothing more than a mod itself. The madness is only beginning.

ItchyFlea

All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Szymanski

Snowpig

I have an idea for a scenario in this mod:
"Good Morning"
...instead of playing people crash-landed on the planet you play a group of people who just climbed out of their ancient cryptopods: naked, no/few resources, no exit -> they have to dig themselves out.

to spice things up add at least one (random) colonist with a very low mental break threashold  :P

Kolljak

Thanks mate should add it straight into your links on page 1.

Igabod

Quote from: ItchyFlea on January 12, 2015, 03:25:21 PM
Here you go: Lone Survivor Combined with Random Location
I used the description Igabod gave for the scenario name and description. Just activate this as a mod in-game and the scenario will show up in the list.

I just played my third game with the Exile scenario. It was by far the most interesting one. I got dropped off in the desert in the middle of spring (chose a random starting date and everything) and used Prepare Carefully on my randomly generated colonist who had Green Thumb as a trait to add psychopath and cannibal. I left everything else exactly the way the random generators made it. Got a good start despite being in the desert, I grew a huge potato patch and a few bamboo fields for the wood and a small patch for xerigium which turned out to be vital. Got a nice little stockpile of all the necessities stashed in a big freezer that I built right away. I eventually built my colony up to 4 colonists and 2 prisoners who wound up becoming food. Defended against numerous pirate and tribal raids and ate like a cannibal king. Then winter hit. I was in the desert so I wasn't expecting winter to get down to -50 during the day. I had no winter clothing prepared or anything. My starting cannibal got a parka off of the first raid of winter which was just 3 tribals but two ran away as soon as the other died. I was feeling pretty confident about my chances on this game due to my previous success. But then there was a cold snap right after that first raid. I lost one colonist to hypothermia rather quickly. The other two without a parka were in the shivering stages of hypothermia at that point. And then a pirate raid with 6 guys, 2 had m-24's and the other 4 had m-16's. My 3 surviving colonists were armed with an R4 (for the cannibal) and pistols for the others. The M-24 made quick work of one of them with a single headshot. M-16's took down my cannibal but didn't kill her. So I decided to use my last standing colonist to rescue the cannibal and fall back and let the turrets around the corner take care of a couple of guys at least and even the odds a little. As the guy picks up his fallen leader (as I began to think of the cannibal) and takes maybe 5 steps, he is sniped by the m-24. The pirates decided to kidnap whoever they could (my cannibal) and leave. Game over.

Basically, that was exactly everything I could have hoped would happen with that scenario. I landed in a biome I rarely play, did well, was hit hard by weather that isn't typical of that biome, and died in a valiant battle against superior foes.

Kolljak

Quote from: ItchyFlea on January 12, 2015, 08:54:41 PM
"We must mod deeper"?

VERY WELL CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Combine Crash Landing and Random Start Locatin

"Emergency Landing"

Now its your turn :D

EdB

I will be adding the ability to go with a random starting location in any scenario in the next release of the mod.  I done this by adding the option to the advanced options dialog (along with standard map size and starting month options).

Beyond that, I've been working on adding features for people who might interested in trying to create their own scenarios, including:

• Loading custom maps
  • Victory conditions
  • At least some amount of documentation
It's taken me longer than I'd hoped to get some of that working.  Now I just I need to try to find a good stopping point before releasing it.  Hopefully, it will be sometime this weekend.

Kolljak

When do you think we might see this next update [as in the random start to any update]

Katavrik

I have a problem with localizing scenario descriptions.
Those ones, that located in scenarioDefs directory. By default it contains english language. To add another language for texts in defs directory i need to make a DefInjected dir and add corresponding files with localized texts. But it does not work for ScenarioDefs. The error message appear: "Error loading language from ...\CrashLanding\Languages\Russian: dir ScenarioDefs doesn't correspond to any def type. Skipping..."
I think that because of ScenarioDefs is not a standard defs.

Is there a way to make a translation with defInjected files?

EdB

Quote from: Katavrik on January 17, 2015, 06:16:57 AM
Those ones, that located in scenarioDefs directory. By default it contains english language. To add another language for texts in defs directory i need to make a DefInjected dir and add corresponding files with localized texts. But it does not work for ScenarioDefs. The error message appear: "Error loading language from ...\CrashLanding\Languages\Russian: dir ScenarioDefs doesn't correspond to any def type. Skipping..."

There are two problems here.  One that you can fix, and one that I'll need to fix.

Because it's a non-standard definition type, you need to name the DefInjected directory using the full package name.  Instead of "DefInjected/ScenarioDef", it should be "DefInjected/EdB.Scenarios.ScenarioDef".  This will get fix the error message that you're seeing.

Once you've changed that, the translations will either work, or they won't.  It will depend on the mod loading order.  If the Scenarios mod is loaded before your Crash Landing mod, they should work just fine.  If it's loaded after, it will not work, and you'll see a bunch of warnings in the console.  I have a workaround for the mod loading order problem for the scenario definitions themselves but not for the translations.  I will fix this in the next version, which I plan to release either today or tomorrow.

EDIT: I changed something when I was testing this out before my initial reply, and my description was incorrect.  The first part is still right--you need the full package name for the directory.  The mod loading order does make a difference in what you'll see in the console.  You may see a bunch of warnings if your mod loads before the Scenarios mod, but your translations will not work regardless of mod loading order.  I need to fix this.

Katavrik

Quote from: EdB on January 17, 2015, 11:05:56 AM
Quote from: Katavrik on January 17, 2015, 06:16:57 AM

There are two problems here.  One that you can fix, and one that I'll need to fix.

Because it's a non-standard definition type, you need to name the DefInjected directory using the full package name.  Instead of "DefInjected/ScenarioDef", it should be "DefInjected/EdB.Scenarios.ScenarioDef".  This will get fix the error message that you're seeing.

Once you've changed that, the translations will either work, or they won't.  It will depend on the mod loading order.  If the Scenarios mod is loaded before your Crash Landing mod, they should work just fine.  If it's loaded after, it will not work, and you'll see a bunch of warnings in the console.  I have a workaround for the mod loading order problem for the scenario definitions themselves but not for the translations.  I will fix this in the next version, which I plan to release either today or tomorrow.

EDIT: I changed something when I was testing this out before my initial reply, and my description was incorrect.  The first part is still right--you need the full package name for the directory.  The mod loading order does make a difference in what you'll see in the console.  You may see a bunch of warnings if your mod loads before the Scenarios mod, but your translations will not work regardless of mod loading order.  I need to fix this.

I understand. Thanks for reply. I will delay this translation for next update of my mod.

Lord_Mime

Loving this mod.   Downloaded it a few days ago and have been enjoying the various challenges this offers.  Please keep up the wonderful work.   if i find any bugs or other tidbits I shall let you know.

Manly

EdB (and heck...all you other amazing modders!) Thank you SO much for your efforts on behalf of the community.  I love your mods. :)

EdB

I've released a new version of the Scenarios mod, v1.1.1.

This release adds the random landing site options to all of scenarios--just click the "Advanced" button on the Landing Site Selection screen, and you'll see the options in the dialog that opens.

I've also added some feature to help those who might be trying to create their own scenarios.  These include:

• The ability to load custom maps from savefiles for your scenario
  • A way to reconcile factions in a player's world and those in your custom map
  • A handful of custom victory conditions
  • BUGFIX: DefInjected translations of scenario definitions should work now
Hopefully, this will give some more flexibility to those who are interested in trying to create scenarios--without forcing them to do C# coding.  I'd love to get feedback on the changes.

I still need to do more documentation, but I added a batch of example scenarios that you can look at to try to figure out how to create your own.  You can find the download link in the original post.