[MOD] (Alpha 8) EdB Scenarios (v1.1.2 - Released 25 Jan 2015)

Started by EdB, January 04, 2015, 06:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolljak

EdB why dont you just "have" 3 check box's into the Advanced options of the map "select your spawn" the options being. 1. Random Start 2. Crash landing 3. Lonestart. and let people toggle the ones they want :D.

lol idk why i spelled the word "ass" instead of "have" i fixed my post tho lol

Vexare

Quote from: EdB on February 22, 2015, 01:34:07 AM
Just a quick update on the Scenarios mod and Alpha 9: I haven't decided what I'm going to do with this mod yet.  The re-introduction of the ability to mod map generation means significant changes and may force me to rethink the overall approach to how scenarios work.

I'll probably take my time with it--I wouldn't expect to see an Alpha 9 release for at least a week, maybe longer.

Hi EdB, I'm posting to give you encouragement for this Mod. It's the first Mod I've ever used with RimWorld (though I'm no stranger to modding in other games) and I really loved it. The three choices you gave were perfect and added a lot of flavor to the start of the game which can get boring after repeated wipes/restarts during the rapidly changing Alpha phase.

I've been playing A9 vanilla (it's tough!) but now I'm ready to mod again and adding your Prepare carefully and UI mods. I understand why you're taking longer to revamp this one but I hope you won't give up on it because random start is a much needed addition to RimWorld!

Cheers!

HBKRKO619

Hi EDB, a quick post to say that I loved the random start provided by this mod. I absolutly don't know where you are in your update or even if you can update this (with what you said ^^) but good luck :)

rdz1122

EdB, thank you for the three mods you created that add so much to the game; I use Prepare Carefully and UI all the time.  Looking forward to your thoughts on Scenarios, whether to update to A9, or come with a new direction.

Kolljak

Do you plan on Updating this? or are the updates coming so fast that you cant keep up :D i know the feels its why i dropped Project EONs till at Least Steam Release or 1st beta build.

EdB

Quote from: Kolljak on April 22, 2015, 07:04:06 PM
Do you plan on Updating this? or are the updates coming so fast that you cant keep up :D i know the feels its why i dropped Project EONs till at Least Steam Release or 1st beta build.

Right now, it's tough to find the time to do it.

It's possible that the most popular feature of the mod (random starts) could find its way into a separate "advanced starting options" mod, but that's not something that I've started working on yet.

I really like the idea of scenarios, and I was hoping that modders would create more of their own scenarios using the mod, but I think the way that I set it up is more complicated than it should be, and I just didn't have time to write up proper documentation that would help.

Unfortunately, the re-introduction of map generation modding in alpha 9 made the process of updating the mod more difficult than I would have liked, and I just haven't had a chance to put in the time needed to revisit the whole thing.

Kolljak

idk why you dont just intigrate this into Perpare Carfuly for less work and less mods it would fit perfectly.

Kolljak

i could... attempt to fix this one.. tho my XML knowledge is mostly in the modifying of Defs.

EdB

Quote from: Kolljak on April 26, 2015, 09:34:14 PM
Never mind my .dll skills are 0 lol.

Yeah, there's actually very little XML work that needs to be done in this mod.  It's mostly code.

Xubrim

Not volunteering or anything, but curious. I've written some code for other game mods in the past, but new versions of those games only seemed to add things like new functions/game defined variables. Some bugs may pop up, but nothing major.

I've get the vibe that with Rimworld the code needs to be fairly heavily tweaked with each update. Why is that? Disclaimer: I've only looked at a couple source .dlls here.

Latta

Because there are often major name changes. (yes, major) And sometimes how a method work changes too, or even gets removed.

EdB

Quote from: Xubrim on April 26, 2015, 11:23:13 PM
...I've get the vibe that with Rimworld the code needs to be fairly heavily tweaked with each update. Why is that? ...

I think it's mostly a function of the game still being in alpha.  Along with new features, there's a fair amount of refactoring that happens with every new release.

And if you happen to skip an alpha like I did with this mod, it just makes it that much more work to update.

Xubrim

I'm assuming there's no documentation on Tynan's changes. If a major change happens, do you just try new stuff until you find something that works? Is there more of a system than that?