[MOD] (Alpha 8) EdB Scenarios (v1.1.2 - Released 25 Jan 2015)

Started by EdB, January 04, 2015, 06:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdB

Quote from: ItchyFlea on January 04, 2015, 09:21:35 PM
Does this allow for win conditions? Will win conditions be a definable thing in the future?

I have not explicitly added a win condition mechanism, but I have been thinking about how that would work.  It will be important to have that in there.   With some coding, you could add a custom win condition now, but it would be nice to have something a little more explicit.  I'd definitely be interested to hear how people would like to use something like that.

ItchyFlea

Would it be possible to have the scenario load a pre-made save file? While there definitely appears to be more than enough control available via .dll's, people like me may have trouble writing a .dll to create the world in the way we want.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

EdB

Quote from: ItchyFlea on January 04, 2015, 09:51:31 PM
Would it be possible to have the scenario load a pre-made save file? While there definitely appears to be more than enough control available via .dll's, people like me may have trouble writing a .dll to create the world in the way we want.

I should add better support for that.  It is possible now to embed portions of a savefile into the scenario file and load those.  In other words, you can include the terrain and a list of things from a savefile in the scenario, but it's all a little experimental now and probably not friendly enough to use.

Stannis

Truly amazing!

This is why it's time to bite the bullet and release on Steam.

Modding can take the game so much farther than standard development and modding communities are a function of install base.

Besides, if you could press a button and make 10 million dollars, wouldn't you?

PotatoeTater

Life is Strange

ItchyFlea

I'm not entirely sure where to put this (it's more a test than anything else) so I'll put it on this thread:

This is the Harsh Start scenario.
You only get to choose the storyteller and the world. The game/mod will choose where you land, as well as who you land with.  You get a tiny amount of starting resources scattered around the map, but no food.

Download: Harsh Start Scenario v1.0

How to use:
Activate it in-game like an ordinary mod, then access it via the Scenario menu.
Deactivate before loading any existing saves, as this scenario is incompatible with existing saves.

[attachment deleted due to age]
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Temeez

Shinzy

Quote from: EdB on January 04, 2015, 09:32:17 PM
Does this allow for win conditions? Will win conditions be a definable thing in the future?

I have not explicitly added a win condition mechanism, but I have been thinking about how that would work.  It will be important to have that in there.   With some coding, you could add a custom win condition now, but it would be nice to have something a little more explicit.  I'd definitely be interested to hear how people would like to use something like that.

As having spent countless hours on making campaigns/episodes for WC2, WC3, HoMM2-4, NWN (Name dropping to the max! *ahem*) and bundle of other games nobody's ever heard of where in half of them the only winning condition could be just to mercilessly slaughter everyone who wasn't you =P

I can say the condition doesn't matter that much =P anyone willing to do a scenario would likely turn their imagination knobs to eleven anyway and have whatever available win condition to work for their "story"

Anyhow, some good win conditions (specifically rimworld in mind) could be to build/dismantle a certain building / stock up enough of certain types of item on your stockpile or just make sure there isn't any hostile pawns on your map
or all three =P

win condition slaughter enough tribals stack them up to a stockpile and then use them to build an unholy altar (or a beacon to call a rescue ship, the tribal bodies ofc were needed to spell big enough 'help' sign on the ground so the passing spaceships would see them)

*shrug*
(premade maps would also be a huge thing like itchy said!)

geekest_cat

This is so awesome and... vanilla!* Thanks!

*Obviously meant as a praise, for how much I'd like that someday EdB mods are included in the vanilla game.

Katavrik

Thank you for this mod and your help.
I've just upgraded my mod (Crash Landing: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8967.0), and now it can work with EdB Scenarios as a scenario.
It was easier for me to make a scenario with crashlanded starting colonists within your mod, than to decompile and write the code from the blank. And thats why your mod is great.

TheSilencedScream

I really like the ideas behind this!

Please keep expanding on scenarios, these are fantastic. :)
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Shinzy on January 05, 2015, 06:17:49 AM
Quote from: EdB on January 04, 2015, 09:32:17 PM

Anyhow, some good win conditions (specifically rimworld in mind) could be to build/dismantle a certain building / stock up enough of certain types of item on your stockpile or just make sure there isn't any hostile pawns on your map
or all three =P

A Rimworld win condition would be: "Generate an awesome story". *drops mike*

...Sorry, Mike.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here