New here, Have any tips?

Started by SimpletonSnowman, November 09, 2013, 01:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimpletonSnowman

Hello all, I'm pretty new to RimWorld, and I'm struggling (happily) with learning how to play this game. Anyway, this is my latest colony

If any of you experts could give me some tips, that would be awesome

Raven

That happened to me in .254 when a landing pod destroyed my storage. I didn't even notice, so I bug reported it. That shouldn't happen in 0.254b, unless you accidentally sold your last one.

As for a tip, you probably want to increase room sizes to 6x6 or something around there to stop the overcrowding happiness negative modifier, but make sure not to place beds in corners.

SimpletonSnowman

thanks for the tip, placing another storage zone fixed it.

unfortunately the raiders i was preparing for utterly raped the defenses i was frantically trying to set up... three with m-24s showed up and were able to take out a turret in 2 hits from outside the turret range... i dont see how thats fair

Raven

SimpletonSnowman

Raven

It might be easier to try Chill Callie Classic until you get the hang of things, I know I am. ;)

zztangnr

don't put two turrets adjacent to each other, put them at least 3 blocks away, as an explosion will trigger another. As for rooms, the smallest space for them to not feel uncomfortable is 6*5(or to be exact 27 empty blocks)

Dragula

If you really don't want them to feel cramped you can get them bigger rooms but the "cramped environment"modifer does not do much against happiness.

Making your prison a cozy place helps with converting prisoners. A nice carpet, some plants, lots of room, maybe even a food dispenser.

A hint for when you make another base, have a look at the environment and look for a geyser close to the rock face and built around that. Also, looking through the "post your base" thread you may find some inspiration for laying out yours.

SimpletonSnowman

Right, more questions: what does one use medicine, shells, and missiles?

Cyclops

Quote from: SimpletonSnowman on November 09, 2013, 05:56:00 PM
Right, more questions: what does one use medicine, shells, and missiles?
Placeholders for things coming up. Right now, there is no use for them, they just sit there. (As far as I know.)

SimpletonSnowman

I just started a new colony, and things were going well, that is until i had 2 nearly back to back raids with ≥ 4 raiders with snipers and fraggers. im quite surprised i survived it. one things for sure, researching land mines first is a much better idea than turret cooling, especially since the turrets are now effectively useless with most raiders taking them out in 1-2 hits