Multiplayer P2P No Frills.

Started by Anduin1357, January 06, 2015, 07:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anduin1357

Multiplayer P2P
Meta-ServerGame

Idea by Anduin1357
"You're welcome to make whatever mod you like and distribute it as broadly as possible." -Tynan
Ground rules.
In this forum post, there shall not be dispute over whether multiplayer would be anything but made.
No one shall, at all times, make mention that Tynan or anyone else for that matter decides where Rimworld goes with mods.
So long as this is maintained as a mod idea and nobody is forcing this down on anyone's throats, (It's optional)
[Keep in mind that if you would be kind enough to develop a mod for this, feel free to announce it.]
This shall be treated with due respect and consideration, no bashing it for no good reason.
The subject of this topic is solely on the whole idea and it's technical implementations.
Assume that anything can be and will be balanced later in other mods and/or official updates.

I hope that everyone have read the forum rules and the ground rules here before you post.
About the idea
You can do ANYTHING in multiplayer the same as singleplayer.
The key point here is to allow any and all actions possible without exception.
All games running this proposed mod will be host to all transmission files. No exceptions.
All transmission files will be distributed in a compressed format as a repository of all available games.
The keywords here are "multiplayer" and "Peer to Peer".
Each traditionally called 'server' is now defined to be a "metagame server" as there is no 'server' per se.
You will be completely anonymous in games that are Asynchronous.
You will directly connect to players with in Live mode and will only combat an Async AI if the enemy is indisposed of.(offline)
Transmission file location would be at AppData\\RimWorld\P2P Repository.*
Where * is the yet to be decided compression format.
As this mod places everything the game needs to load in the transmission files as well,
any mods that writes to a very specific elsewhere than "Appdata\\Ludeon Studios\" will not have this extra file synced.
This game will define the Appdata\\RimWorld directory except the config files and screenshots to be Appdata\\[Gamename]\[content]
Also, the game will define mods as "AppData\\RimWorld\[Gamename]\Mods".
No one shall raid as an ASync player, all colonists off the 'claimed' areas and 'outpost' areas will be sent back to those places automatically as ASync.
They can still be attacked when travelling, just like singleplayer passer-bys.
Should you need to manage multiple areas of your colony-empire,
you will be given new instances of RimWorld to consume that sweet sweet CPU and
not stress out the game trying to instead render a larger map.
64-bit Architecture, a recent GPU, multiple cores and 8+ GB of RAM is recommended.
The more RAM you have, the more instances you can manage.
The repository *will* be public key encrypted, no one is to save hack the games.
Enveloped Public Key Encryption
Someone help me figure out how this might work in this situation...
Note: This had to deserve it's own thread,
if Tynan would to consider using this as an official way of adding MP, that would work great!
This does not infringe on stories.
Regarding Asynchronous AI mode
If the enemy went to your base, the most basic of all is that the AI needs to defend it. Now, when AI sees an enemy pawn,
they usually scramble for cover and start shooting in like 5 seconds. This 5 seconds is too much.
This is simulated by hostile AI meeting hostile AI. The AIs usually walk into each other and manage to not notice until 3-5 seconds in.
This would probably be made worse by walls that officially mean that your colonists will be at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Now, while this can be alleviated by a separate mod,
I wish to raise this potential issue since it affects this particular mod's workings and
I also don't want to force a mod on everyone that should be a fix by Tynan himself.

If you walked into someone else while on your travels,
there would be a variable in the metagame server that controls for how long travellers are withheld from entering an area and instead allowing the controlling player to view the surroundings first.
The game will also indicate a semi-transparent alpha of the incoming colonists.

The AI will *not* leave the home area for whatever reason except when in combat or when the game checks that
although it is not in the zone, it is confined in the home area and thus said colonist cannot wander off.
This will help those lazy mountain hermit bases who make long tunnels and forget to set up home area in those places. If the game checks and it is not indoors and it is not home area,
the game will prevent colonists from entering irregardless of the confination. (Nice English, yes.)
Regarding Ownership priority;
From descending order of authority: Owner, (First guy to spawn.) Conqueror, (Player who killed more than 75% of all player structures & pawns) Allies of the Owner/Conqueror, Explorer, (First foreign player to find the area.) and then the visitors who pass by.
Cancel command and the ability to rename the area if the player spawned in it.
Ability to name a colony like  "City of the Ancients (Anduin1357)" Syntax would be Colony name ([Username]) vanilla is currently Colony (Colony)
Ability to define more than one colony ie. having 2 colonies under your name on the same map, managing both at the same time but each having their own colony to go to. Be careful which colonist captures who because the hauler only hauls back to their own colony.
The injured will go to the nearest medical bed rather than their own respective colony's beds though.
Resource transfer between colony-settlements, basically both colonies agree to haul x to either base once.
Backpack expansion so that haulers/travellers/raiders/explorers/settlers can store foods and materials for long journeys/utilisation/transport.
Conflicting resource hauls between players may result in automatic-combat especially when hostile.
Idea, default Live mode uses 0.8-1.2 real-life hour(s) to complete a day, 29-87 days for a month, 12-18 months for a year
Variables can be changed. This change makes days and nights more noticeable and makes 1 year colonies something actually.
according to my calcs, the 1 rl hour per day with 31 days for month and 12 months for year makes a year = 15.5 days.
Fairly agreeable for a Live game that would not be allowing any time speed up (or slow down) whatsoever.
Default in-game time would be time since colony start, can be changed to since server start.

If you have any queries, you may post below or send a PM to me.
Rules have been edited for clarification.
Rules summary (in order): Don't say it is prohibited to make such a mod as this,
Don't assert that Tynan does not like the whole PvP and exploration idea.
Don't demand for it to Tynan, it's his free will. Want it now? Help make a mod.
Keep this thread civilised and on topic, anyone not following this one also violates forum rules.
You may talk all about the mod and poke around with the technical implementations, the more you poke about, the more it can be expanded. This is called thought provoking questions and it does help with expanding ideas.

Anduin1357

Reserved for things that don't deserve to be on OP.
Thread bump.
Message formatting keeps removing snippets of text formatting code, how annoying.
Introduce word wrap with the code functionality, not everyone writes code in there.
I finally found something about Tynan that I wan't to talk about: Source
QuoteI hope you aren't bothered by me pushing you to work a bit differently than you might be used to. This will include asking you to find ways to cut corners and skip work where possible, and to ruthlessly prioritize down that which isn't necessary. However, please understand that this isn't a cost-cutting measure , it's a methodology geared towards maximizing the final play experience given the time we put in. Let me explain.

It's my strong belief that in games dev, speed is quality. This seems counter-intuitive, and it certainly flies in the face of traditional thought. But hear me out!

It goes like this: the faster you can make progress, the more iterations you can do. The more iterations you can do, the better the game - but in a way very different from the improvement wrought by polishing individual assets. Speed is quantity, and quantity is quality. The more stuff you put out, the more the likelihood that one part of it will turn out to be really, really important and good.

Most stuff we do isn't that important, really. I really think the final experience often comes down to just a few key pieces or insights.
There is more to it:
Quotewe all know that most indie games make no money but a few are huge hits. All that really matters is getting in that hit category. And what's the best way to do that? I don't think the answer is "polish". It[sic] think it's "experiment". Experiment a lot until you get lucky. Which is what I did with RimWorld - remember, I made 5 other prototype games (in two months each, cutting every corner possible) before hitting one that really worked.
&
QuoteWe need to do what we can do well, which is explore, be different, try and fail, be creative, express ourselves and hope people like us... ...it's my belief that the best way to find those things is to work fast, save time, experiment, and ruthlessly and constantly prioritize.
So why not let us experiment and see what goes?
(I thought up the general concept of this idea in a span of 15 mins, the rest of the technicalities had to be figured out.)

Geertje123

Shouldn't this be in the mod section? The main post kind of implies that this will be a mod.

Anduin1357

Quote from: Geertje123 on January 06, 2015, 02:51:10 PM
Shouldn't this be in the mod section? The main post kind of implies that this will be a mod.
This is an idea, I have strictly no time of my own to host a mod this big.

Professor Cupcake

Quote from: Anduin1357 on January 06, 2015, 05:51:27 PM
Quote from: Geertje123 on January 06, 2015, 02:51:10 PM
This is an idea, I have strictly no time of my own to host a mod this big.
And this is the forum for suggestions regarding the vanilla game, with mod requests/ideas/whatever almost always getting shunted to the mods forum.

As for the actual idea itself, it's uh... interesting.
I'll be honest, this is going to take a little time for me to fully understand but from the looks of it at first read-through it sounds pretty much how I imagined Rimworld multiplayer might be able to work, from both technical and game design standpoints.

Anduin1357

It is possible that this idea would be adopted by Tynan and if so, he would keep this here. If this thread is moved, it's confirmation that Tynan is against the idea which can be both a mod idea and a vanilla suggestion.
Keep in mind that Tynan havent thought about how to implement multiplayer in a technical perspective to declare it for certain.

SacoMato

Quote from: Anduin1357 on January 06, 2015, 08:19:16 PM
If this thread is moved, it's confirmation that Tynan is against the idea which can be both a mod idea and a vanilla suggestion.

I don't agree with you.
If the topic is moved, will be only because it is not in the right place. Which I think that's the case, as you clearly stated the intention of the topic as a MOD proposal.

Anduin1357

Quote from: SacoMato on January 07, 2015, 03:20:30 AM
Quote from: Anduin1357 on January 06, 2015, 08:19:16 PM
If this thread is moved, it's confirmation that Tynan is against the idea which can be both a mod idea and a vanilla suggestion.

I don't agree with you.
If the topic is moved, will be only because it is not in the right place. Which I think that's the case, as you clearly stated the intention of the topic as a MOD proposal.
QuoteIdea by Anduin1357
So long as this is maintained as a mod idea and nobody is forcing this down on anyone's throats, (It's optional)It just has a greater possibility to become a mod...

WHY DO EVERY THREAD I MAKE ABOUT MULTIPLAYER DERAIL INTO A LEGITIMACY ISSUE?Mod idea does not mean that it will translate into a mod, it just means that it is an idea that can be made into a mod.
I'm posting this here since I am aware multiplayer is a feature which is planned for RimWorld and that Dear Tynan has not yet revealed his plans for this game in the multiplayer stage for us to ponder. Not even a single "If I implement this, this is how X feature is going to be like" and so on... No dev blog that actually gives us ANY technical details as to the progress of anything he's doing except for major bugs and the like. Here is one idea that basically spells itself out and asks only for author credit and nothing else.
This is not just a mod proposal, it is a game changing feature proposal, a proposal idea that is so pivotal, I'm betting that if this is not made, someone freer than I am will gain inspiration from this.
The subject of this thread says "No Frills" and that is because I aim to deliver an idea that only has that one functionality, multiplayer.
Just because you don't agree with me does not mean that you have any right to re-interpret my thread as anything else than what it plainly spells out to you. Mod Idea =/= Mod Request =/= Mod.
I chose this sub-forum for a reason, this can still yet become a vanilla feature and until Tynan implements his own version of multiplayer, this thread should not be moved. If he can create a form of multiplayer that is less costly and/or more efficient than this, I shall humbly back down, delete this thread and eat my own words that Tynan is at a loss at what to do and instead of treating RimWorld like an alpha like he should, he's sort of closing off his responses to feedback on the suggestion forums and focusing so much more on the beta part of the game, fixing bugs. Can't he have a team of testers who not only find bugs but fix them for him? It's an ALPHA and content should be added more often/more information about what he's adding/considering and at least adding the big content issues like multiplayer and/or overworld map movement for the longer games. He's so closed up that he can't tell me what's wrong with a string of error messages that I can't even tell were part of a mod bug. He might be busy but this is not good PR.

SacoMato

We have different understand what a MOD is and can do, but don't get paranoid if others do too.
As you missed the point I will refer again. If the topic is moved that means nothing about tynan intentions about multiplayer.

Johnny Masters

While we are at it, do you think angels have gender or not?

Anduin1357

Quote from: SacoMato on January 07, 2015, 04:26:25 AM
We have different understand what a MOD is and can do, but don't get paranoid if others do too.
As you missed the point I will refer again. If the topic is moved that means nothing about tynan intentions about multiplayer.

• You haven't read my post.
  • You have not quoted nor shown anything here that says "Multiplayer Mod" without the prefix/suffix "Idea".
  • You are disrespecting the OP by not adhering to the ground rules

• "The subject of this topic is solely on the idea and it's technical implementations."
    • "So long as this is maintained as a mod idea and nobody is forcing this down on anyone's throats, (It's optional)"
I therefore have to request that you refrain from posting in this thread for the time being.
Further disrespect for the rules of the forum and by extension - this thread - will result in a referral to the moderators, you have been warned.

SacoMato

Request granted, I will not post in this topic for now on.
As a punishment, if I do, I will paper cut myself.

I'd like to read a final declaration.

"I shall never quote the obvious."

*My punishment do not intend to void official measures from this forum.

Evul

This topic have got a little out of hand.
Please keep to topic
. Even tho this is a mod request? Is it?
/MOD

Anduin1357

I hope anyone who views this thread is not afraid to voice any support or constructive criticism and/or queries.

Geertje123

Quote from: Anduin1357 on January 08, 2015, 12:27:45 AM
I hope anyone who views this thread is not afraid to voice any support or constructive criticism and/or queries.

I think it's a good idea for a mod.

(Why would we be afraid though?  :o)