Parka = winter cold is meaningless

Started by erdrik, January 06, 2015, 05:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erdrik

Those parkas doe.

Got one for each of my colonists and suddenly Im questioning the need for heaters.
They should have some other penalty to give a reason to take them off and use temperature control.

Ideas:
-New negative thought/memory: "Slept in winter gear. It was uncomfortable."
-New negative thought/memory: "Cooked in winter gear. It was uncomfortable."
-New negative thought/memory: "Smelted in winter gear. It was uncomfortable."
-New negative thought/memory: "Used the crematorium in winter gear. It was uncomfortable."

-20% reduced productivity during delicate jobs like crafting, cooking, and art, ect...

-ability to flag an equipment rack as a 'closet'. Colonists will take off winter gear when entering a room with a 'closet' that has a free inventory space.
-maybe the inverse when entering a cold room? grab a parka when entering a walk in freezer, ect

Scotty

right now if the colonist goes in to a warm room with a parka, they get the warm/very warm negative thought from what iv seen. I do like the idea of auto changing or dedicated clotheing storage though

Shinzy

Quote from: Scotty on January 06, 2015, 05:46:02 PM
right now if the colonist goes in to a warm room with a parka, they get the warm/very warm negative thought from what iv seen. I do like the idea of auto changing or dedicated clotheing storage though

but the thing is once you got parkas you can get rid of the heaters
so they kind of makes the entire temperature system nearly obsolete
unless you're in a desert or just came up with other way to utilise them =P like freeze mechanoids

Mihsan

Really good observation about parka's! I also concerned about sight of people who walk in winter clothes in a warm room.

The idea with wardrobe is good in general. However, I doubt that it will be able to work with equipment rack, unless clothes somehow will be able to stack more than 1 item per tile (because 15 colonists = 15 parkas + 15 hats = unrealistically huge wardrobe).

Also i do not know how this should work with bases, that have many. Should they have many wardrobes? Many sets of parka's for each colonist? Should such parka's be personal items or shareable? Or both (some marked as personal and others as public)?

P.S.: By the way, why not make a wardrobe for each colonist in his room? So that he could completely undress before going to bed. No wardrobe = drop items on floor (which is ugly and drops morale). All this stuff must be so hard to code.  ::)
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

erdrik

Quote from: Mihsan on January 06, 2015, 06:31:23 PM
P.S.: By the way, why not make a wardrobe for each colonist in his room? So that he could completely undress before going to bed. ...
^This is actually exactly what I was suggesting for the current equipment racks.
Two equipment racks should be enough for a personal 'wardrobe'.

A new stacking system specific to a larger rack would be used for public storage and placed at primary entrances.

Johnny Masters

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing lately, specially some kind of auto-dressing auto-arming feature. It could also mean the start of some varied scenarios (radioactive lands/bursts, toxic mists, vacuum, etc). Some type of personal closet that you can right click your pawn to automatically and randomly change his clothes based on what it's stored is also growing on me (yey, fresh clean clothes happy bonus!). Perhaps someday, with an hygiene patch.

Ah, it's also silly to sleep and cook in power armor, even if it has it's own thermal system.

ousire

The biggest problem I see with the idea of colonists automatically equipping and unequipping clothes based on temperature is if they can't find anything in a nearby area. For example, if the outdoors is freezing, and there is no parka nearby, will they go outside anyways to try and walk to the nearest warm clothes, and risk freezing on the trip and back? Or what about your food storage? Now that we have to worry about food spoiling we usually have food storage chilled to near freezing or below. Will our chefs and hunters try to equip warm clothes every time they enter the cooler to grab food, and then unequip it as soon as they walk back to the kitchen?

I think the cleanest solution would be the ability to add a 'temperature zone' to our list of settable zones. All of your heated houses you could mark as 'dress cooler' and pawns will unequip warm clothes inside (Adding in some 'coat rack' equipment racks may be good). When they leave to go back outside, they'll automatically equip whatever they had back on. This would prevent colonists from burning up indoors, while still being insulated outdoors, and you can avoid the issue of them trying to constantly dress or undress when they enter your food locker.

Mihsan

Quote from: ousire on January 06, 2015, 07:41:59 PMFor example, if the outdoors is freezing, and there is no parka nearby, will they go outside anyways to try and walk to the nearest warm clothes, and risk freezing on the trip and back.

The solution lies in choosing the right mechanism for this feature to work. Off course there should be some zone in which dresser must work (like custom zone to search ingredients for working table).

P.S.: Right now it is beneficial to have kitchen inside of a freezer. Cooks in parkas are making frozen meals from frozen stuff. Insane, right? I am sure that IRL it would have some terrible consequences.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

erdrik

I was actually just thinking racks flagged as closets would be attached(via code) to the doors of the room they are in.
Then its just a simple check of temp on both sides of the door that the colonist wants to pass through before he decides to 'get a coat'.

And the idea was definitely not for 'closet' racks to prevent or force a colonist to go into a dangerous environment, just offer a coat to wear if available and to be ignored if not.

Draecesstra

wouldnt it be easier to just have 2 inventories for every colonist? maybe draft/undraft or indoor/outdoor? they could just change it automatically. much easier than 2-3 gears in racks with hauling and equipping and it seems to be easy to code.

erdrik

They cant even carry two different types of items, and only a limited number of one item when hauling.
Why would they be able to carry around a full second inventory?

SuperCaffeineDude

I like Draecesstra's suggestion, it's not a overly realistic solution but it sounds cheap enough.
But what I'd suggest leading on from that suggestion is that maybe it'd be better if pawns could just toggle their coat on/off?

For example...
If (myTemperature <= 20 OR drafted == true) {  shellLayerOn = true} else {shellLayerOn = false}

It's not unthinkable that someone might carry a coat or tie it around themselves whilst maintaining the ability to haul, in fact I'd say it's more likely to happen than a trip to a wardrobe for a change of outfit. But obviously you'd need to add in exceptions like power armour.

Johnny Masters

Yeah, this might work before a more complex system comes around. Perhaps all shell and/or overhead apparel gets this auto-equip (perhaps with a toggle) condition based on temperature... So yeah, you won't need extra items but you can 'hide' some of the already equipped ones, if needed. Sounds good enough for me.

Quasarrgames

cold isn't not meaningless on ice sheets. that's for sure, even with parkas and tuques.
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

BinaryBlackhole

Winter has disadvantages parkas slow you down and make you really suffer if a mechanoids set stuff on fire also remember that snow you cant move in  however additional penalty's should be applied I think 10percent reduced productivity should be the amount of productivity lost same as power armour.