RIP Fertilizer Pump

Started by MikhailBoho, January 08, 2015, 12:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikhailBoho

Change Log - Dec 15

Cut fertilizer pump (to provide a more meaningful long-term choice between soil farming and hydroponics).

I never used the Pumps for growing of crops indoors or in mountain ranges, so I'm really sad to see the Fertilizer Pump go. I currently use them as a basic terraforming tool to fix those single patches of marshy ground that worked their way right through my intended roads/flower displays. Would like to see an alternative introduced for this purpose but obviously it is non-essential. Still, the pump will be missed :(

Lost Cause

Awwww!!! but... but... I love the pumps ;.;
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

Johnny Masters

I'll also miss the pump. I understand (and even endorse) enforcing such a decision, but getting rid of the pump wasn't, IMO, the best one. I'd rather go away with the sunlamp and/or limit what types of things you can grow underground. You could even push it to a higher tech tier. But reasonably there's no good explanation for taking it out.

Snownova

I really wish he would implement a "level terrain" or "drain land" tool to re-enable us to reclaim marshes and lakes. Heck a building that generates bare rock instead of farmable land would be preferable.

Leird

Quote from: Snownova on January 08, 2015, 03:49:49 AM
I really wish he would implement a "level terrain" or "drain land" tool to re-enable us to reclaim marshes and lakes. Heck a building that generates bare rock instead of farmable land would be preferable.

Or simply allow us to use stone chunks to reclaim it.

Mystic

Quote from: Leird on January 08, 2015, 04:54:30 AM
Quote from: Snownova on January 08, 2015, 03:49:49 AM

Or simply allow us to use stone chunks to reclaim it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8379107_make-muddy-ground-hard.html

Loosely based on the above page, I wonder if something could be added that uses crushed limestone in particular to "harden" muddy areas?

Shinzy

Dehydrinator pump! Bang! and the dirt is gooooooooone

could maybe just change the pump to harden the ground, like turn it to stone instead
couldn't abuse the growing stuff then
Sure you could then use free smooth flooring everywhere but (that would be very time consuming way to floor instead of the nearly as free laying stone bricks method)

also would solve my problems about being perfectionist about that one room with one corner being dirt while rest of it was possible to be smoothed *"gurgle hurk" says the heart and gives up and fails*

So pretty much what the above people says!

evrett33

Its amazing how far the A9 changelog goes back..

Johnny Masters

Even requiring the pump to be ever present (as in a perpetual irrigation system) would be better than making it go away.

MikhailBoho

Quote from: Shinzy on January 08, 2015, 12:06:45 PM
Dehydrinator pump! Bang! and the dirt is gooooooooone

could maybe just change the pump to harden the ground, like turn it to stone instead
couldn't abuse the growing stuff then
Sure you could then use free smooth flooring everywhere but (that would be very time consuming way to floor instead of the nearly as free laying stone bricks method)

also would solve my problems about being perfectionist about that one room with one corner being dirt while rest of it was possible to be smoothed *"gurgle hurk" says the heart and gives up and fails*

So pretty much what the above people says!

The trick to get around having free stone floor everywhere would be making the pump expensive enough that it would cost more steel than the other floor types.

Mystic

Quote from: Johnny Masters on January 08, 2015, 04:08:57 PM
Even requiring the pump to be ever present (as in a perpetual irrigation system) would be better than making it go away.

I like a variation on that idea for clearing up muddy or swampy areas ... e.g., a continually operating drainage pump of some sort.  If the power goes out, things start getting muddy again, maybe even starting to damage flooring or anything else that has been built above such an area if the pump is inactive for very long.   Could be interesting!

Johnny Masters

Yeah, you could have the pump and some pump cables (like power cables). So it wouldn't be worthwhile to use for cheap things, but still needed in arid scenarios. If someday water is to have some use, the pump could drain water from underground